ALL THINGS REVIS - Official Thread - Deal Signed - Thread Locked

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I read a report where the Browns GM stated that "there in the same neighborhood, but not on the same street" as far as the Quinn negotiations were concerned. Quinn's probably looking for top 10 money. To be honest, I'd rather Revis issue be about money at this point. I would imagine it would be easier to come to an understanding through incentives and bonuses while keeping it cap friendly for the future if that were the case. Thats just a guess though...maybe wishful thinking even.

Edit: On second thought, it's really already about money. Obviously thats the reason for the contract length issue. Revis wants to get paid. Still, I'd feel better knowing that the length wasn't an issue at this point.

#181 Jets81, Aug 3, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  2. Coach K

Coach K New Member

Revis is a high character guy. the jets wouldnt have traded picks like that for him if they didnt think he is what the team needed.

and what hes doing is business savy, this is football sure he gets paid to play. but with all of these young players watching older players scream at the fact theyre not being taken care of; players will be more prevy to contract situations than before.

less mature, i dont see what one more year of Pitt football and campus life wouldve have done. nor how it even relates to how hes making a decision to not be stuck some bogus extra year so they can wait 1 more before they re-sign him if he succeeds.

3. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

Hey Ballhawk, can I borrow your deserve-o-meter so I can see the world of contracts through your lens? What makes you think Moore deserves a contract extension? Leon Washington had a pretty good rookie season, does he deserve a contract extension? How about James Dearth, he snapped very well last year, it's unfair what he's making, let's give him a raise too.

...and yes, what the GM did for the past 15 years does matter. It would be one thing if he had a "track record" of being a pain in the ass on negotiations, resulting in numerous contract squabbles, etc. But he has no such record, leading a rational person to believe that this is an isloated situation, not part of a bigger character flaw. If anything, the Jets in the Bradway era we're too much like you, Ballhawk, awarding crazy big contract extensions to players that "deserved" them like Chrebet and Martin, etc. The problem was they gave these extensions to older, past prime players resulting in huge cap issues that the new regime had to cut down, which is why Martin was taking all those huge paycuts at the end of his career.

Have faith brother...

4. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

What the heck has Moore done to deserve a new contract? He probably wouldn't start on any other NFL team. He should be happy he's making $1 million a year and starting on a good NFL team and stfu (Moore).

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

A voidable year is the same as a five year contract, isn't it? The Jets would never void it if they don't like him. They would cut him. Actually, it's even worse then that. You get more guaranteed money in a 6 year deal then a five. So if the Jets gave him that he would get the upfront money and then void the deal after 5 years. That would make Tannenbaum look quite clever.

#185 Don, Aug 3, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Not to mention, even if Revis only makes it for one week of camp this offseason, he will probably learn more than he would have during 4 weeks of camp under Edwards.

7. Coach K

Coach K New Member

the only comforting thing to come out of this thread. thanks :wink:

8. NYMagpies

NYMagpies New Member

just sign the contract, your a rookie, not a vet, earn your stripes and respect first revis, FFS, grow up!!! this is giving me the shits!

9. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

Look, it's time to say goodbye to Hollywood. Revis ain't comin'. It's over. We might as well have not even had a 1st round pick this year.

It's a buttslam massacre of biblical proportions.

10. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

It's not often you get the words "buttslam" and "biblical" in the same sentence! I don't agree with you but that sentence is almost poetic...

11. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Fuck Neil Schwartz.

(filler)

12. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

I don't get how there can be this long of a holdout over one year in a contract.

Just give him the 5 year deal, and get him into camp.

13. Penning10toColes

Penning10toColes Active Member

They can't give him the 5 year deal because then they'll be admitting their wrong.

Both sides are coming off as unbelievably stubbon.

14. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

Is it conceivable that this holdout is orchestrated by Tangini to lower fans' expectations for Revis in the first year, and thus take some of the pressure off DR?

All people are talking about is how behind he is and how much he is missing. Already people (inaccurately I think) are starting to say he'll be relegated to the second team, nickle, etc.

If he has the normal rookie coverage breakdowns and gives up some TD's, now he will have a built-in excuse, thus buying some time against premature criticism of both the player AND trading up to get him. (as a rookie CB, I'm assuming he will give up a few big plays--whether he is in camp from the start or not)

I know, it's a far-fetched conspiracy theory...(go ahead, rip away!) but it is inexplicable why Tanny is digging in on 6 years when the market is clearly dictating five. In the absence of a sensible explanation, my imagination kicks in...

15. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

I've pretty much written off Revis' chances of playing much this year.
    For rookies that miss camp, it's quite rare for them to play well in the first year isn't it? I'd assume there would be heaps of problems for him concerning durability and injuries.

16. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

why don't they ink a 5 1/2 year deal.

jeez, this isn't rocket science.

cheers

17. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Even worse. If he's even the slightest bit out of shape he will get hurt when he does show up. The hamstrings are starting to pop all over football fields now and these are on guys who are in shape.

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Devils advocate-- he's working out daily and doing sprints... I just hope.

19. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

No. Tangini is not going to make decisions based on what the fans think.

20. mainejetsfan

mainejetsfan New Member

Tannenbaum has needlessly turned this into a destructive power play. Asking for the 6th year wasn't unreasonable at the outset, but they are staying put on the demand when everyone else is signing for 5 years. The fact that he rejected the proposal for the voidable 6th year turns it into a situation where they can't agree to 5 years without appearing to have conceded on a point they deemed critical. The irony is that the longer they go without him in camp, the more useless he will be this year, so that, even if they get the 6th year, they will really only get 5 out of him.

The other thing that raises questions is that Revis' agent is also Kendall's. If Kendall gets his $$$, there will be a long line of players lining up for more (Brandon Moore has alluded publicly to his unhappiness.) Giving in to Kendall probably would set in motion a line of renegotiations that would destroy their cap situation. While the Revis situation is totally different, it's hard not to feel that they are more interested in playing hardball with the agent than the 6th year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.