ALL THINGS REVIS - Official Thread - Deal Signed - Thread Locked

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

IMO Because of the holdout by Revis there is no way the Jets can afford to sign him for 5 years. This hold out means he will have little impact for us this year. So a 6 year contract is really a 5 year contract.

It just sucks that his agent is using Revis against the Jets to get a better contract for Kendall. I have no proof - but I bet that is what is really happening here.

2. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Difference between Johnson and Revis is that Johnson signed a 6 year deal worth heeps more than Revis will over the same time.

3. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

dude nobody is required to do anything. thats why revis doesnt want to sign the contract. he is looking for a fair contract, so i'm with revis on this one and i hope he does everything he can to get his 5yr deal

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The argument has been that players picked in the first half of the first round get five year deals. Thomas and Okoye signed 6 year deals but I considered them different because they are linemen, Johnson is a skill player and has now signed a 6 year deal which throws the original premise out the window.

#164 Don, Aug 3, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  5. DaBallhawk

August 3, 2007 -- AS of yesterday, Darrelle Revis, the Jets' holdout top draft pick, had missed seven days of training camp practices with no end in sight to what has become an unnecessary and silly stalemate.

Yesterday, too, marked the seventh consecutive day of left guard Pete Kendall's personal hell as he grudgingly practiced and waited for his seemingly imminent release.

The question that must be raised in relation to both of these contractual impasses is this: Are the Jets being a bit too arrogant for their Kelly-green britches?

The answer here is a resounding "Yes."

The Jets appear to be a pretty sound, good team with a chance to at least put a scare into the Patriots for the AFC East title, and they're certainly a favorite to compete for a playoff berth. But they're not good enough to mess with their product the way management is doing with both Revis and Kendall, two key pieces to the playoff-bound model Eric Mangini is trying to construct during these dog days of summer.

The Jets traded up 12 spots in the first round to draft Revis with the hope he'd win a starting cornerback spot right away.

Revis wants a five-year contract, the same as almost every draft pick in the first round has signed (including the two players drafted before and after him). The Jets want Revis to sign a six-year deal.

Is that one year really worth squabbling over while Revis misses out on all this valuable developmental time? That missed time is certain to stunt his growth and ability to contribute right away this season.

If Revis ends up being a non-factor this season from falling so far behind, will this contract dance seem worth it five or six years from now? Of course not.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08032007/sports/jets/all_about_the_green_jets_mark_cannizzaro.htm

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Just announced that Levi Brown also signed a 6 year deal, again another lineman though. That only leaves Russell, Quinn, Revis and Beason. Beason is getting screwed so he shouldn't even be considered a holdout. Again, I'll be shocked if Revis hasn't signed within 48 hours. I also expect now that Johnson has signed Russell will sign momentarily too.

#166 Don, Aug 3, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  7. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Oh goodie! The Post proclaimed the Jets are wrong! This is on top of other great news breaks this year such as Alex Rodriguez's blonde road friend.

F the Post.

8. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

Breath deep, Ballhawk. All I can say is thank God you're not our GM. Do yu not think that there is a financial plan in place to address the player contracts moving forward? Is it your theory that every time a player complains about being underpaid (as you nicely summarize above) that we should have a reflexive and immediate reaction by offering a higher priced extension? Tannenbaum has been handling contracts for the Jets since the Parcells era and this is his second (!!) draft pick holdout in a decades worth of work. By any standard that's impressive. Not everyone gets paid in this business. He extended Cotch and Thomas this past year and will likely extend Rhodes too in the near future. Guys like Moore and Kendall can complain all they want, their average and old respectively. I can't belive you guys think the sky is falling because Revis isn't in here for the first week. Nothing about our GM's track record should cause you concern unless your completely short sighted and view his performance based on the past two weeks only, which you clearly appear to be doing...

9. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Thank you. As much as I'd like to see him in camp right now, we really shouldn't worry too much at this point. Good post.

10. NYJ 13A

NYJ 13A New Member

I know your commenting towards Ballhawk's worries, but it definitely isn't a positive sign that our future shut-down corner (who I pray will be the next Champ Bailey) is yet to step foot on the field.

11. kennyo07

kennyo07 New Member

Revis and front office not even talking

Adam Schien on NFL network compared Brady Quinn and Revis' holdout and our boy is much worse off. HE said the REvis camp and our FO have not talked for days. HE wont be in for a long time and this virtually locks Barret and Dyson at CB with Miller and Poteat as backup. Best we can hope for is Revis in the nickel for first half of season and then maybe take over at CB second half....f'in blows, all the work to move up in the draft and then to have this happen.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Hey, can you find out what the National Enquirer thinks about the Revis situation? Enquiring minds want to know.

13. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

Schien is right, may as well wrap up training camp now, no hope of making the playoffs with Revis out for the first week and possibly even next week too. With Revis out, this will force more playing time for Justin Miller. the pressure on Miller will be too much for him to bear, resulting in frequent, alcohol drenched outings to Manhatten night clubs, causing him to swing violently at fellow nighclub patrons, one of which will fall into an innocent bystander who happens to be an Al Qaeda sleeper cell member, who immediately gets pissed off and decides on the spot to launch his terrorist plot, resulting in a violent U.S. counter attack on the entire Middle East, which China at this point feels compelled to check our agression, resulting in a super power duel. Russia sees this as their big opportunity and joins on the side of China and launches a full nuclear attack on America...and civilization as we know it ends....all because we didn't sign Revis by the start of camp!

14. NYJ 13A

NYJ 13A New Member

That's crap...aside from my personal view of Brady Quinn's arrogance and feeling of disrespect that he was taken 22nd overall, it's a different negotiation when it comes to QB's. There's more to performance pay and bonuses than a Joe Thomas. Not agreeing is one thing; not talking doesn't sounds like a good situation.

As a positive note, we have a secondary who improved throughout the season coming back hungry. Regardless of who it was, there was this sense of extra urgency and hustle the D showed last year when trying to make plays that was great to see.

15. NYJ 13A

NYJ 13A New Member

Haha and the Cold War has resurfaced, JETFIGHTER!

We could probably get Germany to once again wage war against Russia.

16. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

:rofl:

That's one of my favorite posts ever. If it were shorter, and I hadn't just quoted RaiderJeaux's latest comic line this morning, I'd make this my sig! Nice job!

:beer:

17. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

I know, can you believe it? Thanks for the nuclear winter, Tangini. I wish they'd consider the global impact of their selfish negotiating techniques...

18. DaBallhawk

what exactly does "every time" mean? moore deserves more money. revis deserves a fair deal. what does that have to do with re-signing every player that asks for a new contract?

dude nobody cares about what he did 15 years ago. it's 2007.

again, nobody said that. but moore deserves a new contract and revis deserves a 5yr deal. if the player deserves what he is asking for, he should get it. at least he should have the right to ask for a new contract.

dude you're being so naive...sure, revis has missed only 1 week. they will sign him today. right. because you hear all the time, they're very close to get the deal done.

oh wait, they havent even talked the past few days. the jets dont want to offer him a 5 deal, revis doesnt want to sign a 6yr deal. this could easily go on for another month. but yeah, he has only missed 1 week. he could sign the contract any minute now...you're right. im sorry.

you cant compare revis to the players he has signed in the past. d'brick received his 5yr deal last season. and now they're not willing to offer revis a 5yr deal. this has nothing to do with what tannenbaum has done in the past. he even signed jonathan vilma to a 5 year deal. he did a great job in the past with vilma, d'brick and company, no question about it, but right now he's just being a punk

19. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Stop reading the papers so much...Moore should be happy he's making more than veteran minimum. Revis should be happy to be offered the cheddar.

The Jets should be willing to meet halfway (or at least part of the way) sometimes. I'm really beginning to like the case-by-case theory. But on this one, we paid TWO high draft picks for the dude and we wanted, not just the ones we paid for brick and vilma. Maybe it has something to do with it. Maybe the whole Samuel saga is involved somehow.

WTF is wrong with a voidable sixth year? If they won't even entertain that, then the FO really is screwing up. Nobody really knows.

20. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

That pretty much sums up everything. As tempting it is for all of us to jump to conclusions after reading one report after another, we really don't know anything beyond the 1-year contract difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.