ALL THINGS REVIS - Official Thread - Deal Signed - Thread Locked

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

dyson and barrett are injury prone we need to get this guy in camp

2. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

I love how people throw around this "injury prone" label just because that's the last thing they remember. Yeah Dyson was hurt in the playoffs last year, but he was a super-solid corner for us for the first 15 games. My vote for the best signing of the '06 offseason.

3. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/118603066378970.xml&coll=1&thispage=2

4. PMCRW

PMCRW New Member

still waiting....

5. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Darrelle Revis contract update

By TFY Draft Preview

Posted Aug 2, 2007

As his holdout moves into its? second week, here is the latest news on the contract status of New York Jets first round pick Darrelle Revis.

The contract talks between the Jets and Darrelle Revis, the 14th pick of round one, are at a complete stalemate according to sources we spoke with just moments ago.

The team is steadfast on giving Revis a six-year deal, and have not budged from that position. Revis and his representatives are looking for a five year deal yet will consider a six year deal which is void-able after the fifth year, reminiscent of the contract signed by Marshawn Lynch, the 12th pick of the draft.

The Jets have not offered any such contract and do not seem inclined to do so at this point.

Considering the majority of contracts signed in the first round this year have been five-year deals, it stands to reason the Jets should follow suit.

Yet it seems both sides have dug their heels in.

A member of the Revis? camp told us there?s only one way a six-year deal would be accepted; if it were a ?grand slam? contract.

The inference was the amount of guaranteed money would have to be much higher than any of the other players selected in the vicinity of the 14th pick and the salary for the sixth year would have to be well above market value.

http://nflexperts.scout.com/2/664068.html

6. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Okay, now it's getting ridiculous. While I'm in favor of the club standing pat on the 6 year front, if they're not going to budge on either a voidable 6th year (which IMO is more than fair,) or a grand slam contract, then the kid can't be expected to sign it.

Now it's starting to sound like the Jets just bullying players. Standing strong is one thing, but pissing guys off who are critical to your long-term success is just stupid.

7. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

didn't the 13th and 15th picks sign 5 year deals? so the precedent is set, the Jets really aren't in the position to try to force a 6 year deal

8. NYJ 13A

NYJ 13A New Member

This sucks because Revis isn't even showing up to camp. There's nothing that says he can't show up without being signed. Granted, it would take away his leverage to even push for the 5 year deal or 6 year with an opt out.

They need to sign Revis ASAP. Tannenbaum needs to find a solution soon.

9. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Actually isn't it against the rules for a player to be in camp without a contract? I'm pretty sure that's part of the CBA.

10. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I thought that's the way it worked too. At any rate, because we're holding to the 6 years (and because only one from that early group has signed a 6-year, while all the rest have received 5-year deals), we're giving others around the league the impression (whether true or not) that we've turned into some kind of hard-nosed, my-way-or-the-highway organization.

The press isn't telling anyone anything else about the deal other than 5-year vs. 6-year. That being the case, we're starting to look like completely stubborn assholes. In the meantime, Revis is missing huge amounts of instruction, field practice time and time to sit and review videos of himself and be critiqued.

We don't need to panic yet, mind you, but if this continues, you can almost be assured Revis is not going to be anywhere near a starter come our date with none other than the NE Patriots.

11. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

I always thought it was a player's choice due to injury concerns. Not totally sure though.

I'm really getting annoyed at the Jets right about now. I think the 6 year contract with a voidable 6th year would be a good compromise.

12. brothermoose

Welcome to the team homey...

I also thought it was due to injury concerns that a player can't attend camp without a contract. I'm pretty sure its in the CBA because otherwise players could get strong-armed into it or be blamed for not showing good faith. It sucks for our team-I'd love to have him in camp-but it is in his best interest.

13. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

I think that voidable 6th year is a very logical solution. If this doesn't get resolved in this manner within the next couple of days, I would be extremely disappointed.

14. brothermoose

Agreed...big time...if I was the GM I'd probably cave by the weekend, but I'm not, thank goodness.

15. NYJ 13A

NYJ 13A New Member

Aliothefool...I could be mistaken when it comes to being on the field without a contract. I'm trying to find the answers right now. A podcast with John "The Professor" Clayton would come in handy right now.

16. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

This is really bothering me, if he misses a ton of camp he might as well just ride pine for the whole season and where will that get us, development is key, way to much hardball is being played by the Jets right now, and it has already caused Moore's comments, Kendall fiasco and Revis stalemate, we need players happy. Although I could give a flying F about Moore

17. Section 227. Row 5

The newspaper today said (I'm paraphrasing) that we spoke to Moore and that essentially he was told we'd "address it after we address the Pete Kendall thing." What's Pete Kendall got to do with Moore? Come on, Tanny.

Also, in the same article, The Star-Ledger estimated we're going into the season about $10 million under Cap and that the "Jets are looking to avoid Cap problems like in the past." Okay, fine, but what's that all look like? It looks like we're playing it pretty freakin' close to the vest, IMO.

Look, I can understand holding onto some Cap room. I commend Tannenbaum for doing that. Maybe somebody (like a Kendall-type situation) pops up and we can grab him and really help the team... I understand all that. But are we aware of how this all looks to the outside world about now?

18. brothermoose

Ok...just read almost the entire CBA and nowhere does it mention specifically, whether or not drafted rookies can participate in pre-season practices. I will check the NFL Rules because I have a feeling that it may be one of those rules by definition rather than statement. For example: if a player practicing with a club is considered an active member of the NFL and in order to be an active member of the NFL said player needs a contract, then that player can't participate in practices. That's what I'm looking for now.

19. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

It's not like the Jets only have to think about the implications on the cap this year. With roster an options bonuses and accelerating base salaries, it is down the line the contracts really hurt a team...in addition to the prorated signing bonus

20. Section 227. Row 5

I hear you, man. And I think you're right. But right now we're looking like the biggest cheapskates on the block. Is that the impression we want to give anyone coming into the NFL? I say the move should be to put this shit to bed right now and move on to facing the NE Patriots and Tom Brady in Week One. I'm already having nightmares....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.