7/30 TC observations with Kurt

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ThunderbirdJet, Jul 30, 2007.

1. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

As I had mentioned, I did get to practice a bit late... missed the first 50 minutes or so. One of Kurt's first comments was that Brick was having a bad day, mostly footwork problems. He seemed more settled as practice went on, and looked good for the most part to me. I'll have to try and keep a closer eye on Trusnik.

I was more focused on the defense yesterday, so it's hard to comment on how well the O linemen did getting outside. Yesterday it was about 85% passing plays I'd guess. Whoever it was playing center for the second team O, I think it was Missant, is a huge liability in the shotgun. His snaps were way to high, and at least 2 sailed over the QB's head yesterday. Clemens had to jump for maybe two more to haul them in. That is a problem that has to get fixed.

No TC for me today, but I will go again on Wednesday. Kurt doesn't have a computer with him... maybe he can offer his comments when he comes here after practice on Wednesday.... but he will be at both sessions today.

2. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

Thanks a lot guys. Always enjoy the reports. Also glad to hear positive things about Kellen, for once.

3. ThunderbirdJet

Like I said, his lack of on the field speed may be simply that he is unsure of his assignments in the 3-4. Having said that, I had the binoculars on him for about 5 plays, and I didn't see him reacting very fast to the play as it developed. He appeared to be running at half speed on plays along the sidelines. On plays closer to the middle of the field he seemed more comfortable and faster. He's listed as bigger than Vilma, but to Kurt and I they look to be about the same size. He did slip back into coverage pretty well, so it wasn't all bad, but if he did get any snaps with the first team defense, I missed it.

I'd ask folks to remember one thing about anyone's TC observations... it's simply not possible to objectively judge a player on one day, one practice. This stuff does have to be taken with a grain of salt. We often don't know what a given players assignmentmight be. Maybe Harris is supposed to stay in the middle to protect against reverses and misdirection plays. Besides that, one has to rely on memory, and you only get one look... no instant replays. Focus on one thing, and you miss something else. That's why I go to at least 5 practices... that gives me a better feel for where the team is, and how specific players are doing.

Some things are easier to see than other things... like how well a QB is throwing, watching how good a WR's route running is.... but yesterday even with binoculars, I could rarely see who was lining up at DE on the side away from the fence. It's a bit easier when they are on the other field with the bleachers. At field level, there are some things you just can't see very well.

We did have a perfect view of Brick putting Bryan Thomas on the ground when Thomas tried to bull rush him with an inside move. Had we been on the other side of the field on that play, we would have missed it. TC reports are great, I enjoy reading other's accounts as well, but they are best digested with a grain of salt.

Reporters like Cimini and Rock can't write this way... they have to be certain they have every detail right. They can't admit to not knowing who was playing at DE... so they simply don't report on it instead. That's why TGG reports are great... we don't have to be perfect to maintain credibility. We don't have an editor to keep happy, or a public image to worry about, so we have more freedom to offer comments.

4. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I second all of the above. There are 50 things going on all at once. Watch the pass in mid-air, completely lose track of 49 other things. Watch the battle on the line, completely miss who defensed Cotchery's catch so well. Even watching Leon, for example, the guy hits the holes so quick you lose track of who threw the excellent block not 5 feet away.

5. Section 227. Row 5

Hey T-Bird....P/S:

There's a chance I may go to the 2PM tomorrow. If I go, I don't think I'll stay around afterwards though. But I will go early if I go, unlike some tardy bastards I know who show up 50 minutes late.

No, seriously, if I can make it, I'll probably get there around 1:30 and watch Nugent, etc. Would love to hook up with you and Kurt (and anybody else) for awhile to talk Jets and positions. I'll have to let you know later today or in the AM.

Later dude....

6. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

haha, they copied your stuff on JI. They really love it.

good stuff

7. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

At least they gave credit to you guys.

8. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

With What we spent the past two years onthe MLB position in Schlegal (3rd rnd) and trading up for Harris and what we didn't get at OL, this guy should be the 2nd coming.

"Harris, a 6'2", 240 lb. inside linebacker from the University of Michigan, was projected to go in the late first round of the draft. He was reportedly being considered by the New England Patriots and San Diego Chargers late in the first round, and prior to trading up from the 25th overall pick to draft CB Darrelle Revis, Jets' GM Mike Tannenbaum and Head Coach Eric Mangini had Harris on their radar as a potential candidate for the late first round pick."

6'2'' 240 He SHOULD look the same size as Vilma, No? We're talking probably less than an inch and 5-10 lbs......

GREAT REPORT!!!

9. LockDown24

LockDown24 Active Member

Sounds more and more like Stuckley could be this years Marques Colston, which would be amazing

10. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

Wow...what a great report! And this follow-up shows you to be really smart, realistic, and humble. As I was reading the thread I was thinking "why can't Cimini and those guys report these kind of MEANINGFUL observations?". And while I understand what you're saying about their need to not take chances in their published reports, I wish they could be closer to what you have written. I think you are watching much more intently than they are. It takes effort, but you care enough to make the effort. Those lazy asses don't. They get their quotes, report the obvious, and head for the reporter's buffet!

Sorry for the rant...but you ROCK TBJ!!! Keep up the great work, this is the best thing I've read since camp started and I really appreciate your effort and how you wisely keep it in the proper perspective. THANK YOU!

11. NYJ 13A

NYJ 13A New Member

I'm unbelievably late on commenting on the report, but the last 20 minutes of reading through all the pages was well worth it. Thanks for the updates and detailed look on what's going on at camp. I noticed some mention about Jones' size; anything else to report before tomorrow on how the rest of the offensive backfield looked?

Great report, once again.

12. Rhodes Scholar

While I like what I've been hearing about Stuckey so far, I think he is stuck behind a talented and fairly deep WR core, with Coles, Cotchery, McCareins, and Brad Smith (plays enough WR to be considered). So while I hope to see Stuckey on the field a little during the year, I hope he isn't this year's Colston because that would mean that Coles or Cotchery got injured. Anyway, I hope he can continue to develop and start in a few years. Maybe he could return punts this year, as from most reports he seems to be fairly speedy and elusive.:grin:

13. Denny

Denny Active Member

Nice read TB/Kurt. Felt like I was there.

Was interested in how Hicks was doing if you noticed. Rotating with 1st or 2nd team? Mentoring rookies?

14. JetTerp

JetTerp Member

That was a Monster Report guys! Great work, and they did give you credit for it on JI. I wish I was still at NCC and I could swing over and party with you all, but since I am now in NJ, only 20 mins from the NEXT training camp site, I will leave the door open to you here.

Has anyone heard a PEEP about Hicks thus far? I totally forgot they had him in camp until the last poster brought it up.

15. ThunderbirdJet

Well, thanks for the compliments folks... it's my way of living my fantasy of being a beat reporter... I enjoy doing it immensely.

Hicks... I will put him on my "watch list" tomorrow. TJ doesn't look small per se, but I think he might be closer to 5'9" than 5'10", but that's splitting hairs. From a distance, the two guys that struck me were Pouha (his arms have gotten really freakin big) and DRob, who seems to have lost pounds in the middle and gotten bigger at the shoulders and arms.

If anyone going to practice wants to join Kurt and I at my place in Hicksville after tomorrow's session, PM me. If yer a Jets fan, you are welcome. Just bring yer own brews!

16. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

I'm not falling for that one again. Last year I showed up and you wanted me to wear the Mary Poppins costume, told me it would make me a better man. Seeing 17A and Eyedea dressed in submissive suits with ball gags in their mouth was the sign for me to leave.

17. ThunderbirdJet

The theme for this year is Cinderella....

18. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

I think that I pulled the same crap on you last year!

19. Section 227. Row 5

T-Bird and Kurt:

I've decided I'm going to join you guys tomorrow, but I can't go to Hicksville afterwards, sorry! I figure if camp closes by 4:30, I can still get under the traffic a little bit (maybe).

Anyway, here's my deal...

I get there early and hang out in the top row of the bleachers at about the 40, watching Nugent, etc. Should be there about 1:30 or so.

If the practice looks like it's set up for the grass, I'll move over to the fence at about 1:50 or so. I'll have on a plain white t-shirt that only says JETS in green on the front and I'll have my green Section 227 hat on.

Any of you other board members who want to hook up with T-Bird and Kurt and me, just look for me at the above location right before practice, okay? Then we can all get together and shoot the shit. It's always fun to sit with other guys and talk positions, plays, etc. Hope to see many of you there!

20. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

If I could go, I'd definitely meet up with you guys. Unfortunately, I have to work. Stay out of trouble boys. I look forward to the next round of reports!