ALL THINGS REVIS - Official Thread - Deal Signed - Thread Locked

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

So Revis gets his 5 year deal a year later? What does that accomplish for him.

Oh wait, it's PFT, nevermind me even reacting.

2. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

I find it ironic that Revis's agent is the same guy representing Kendall. I'm sure he's using some sort of leverage.

3. Tennessee Jet

Tennessee Jet New Member

4. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Revis to re-enter the draft?

POSTED 12:59 p.m. EDT, July 30, 2007

COULD REVIS RE-ENTER THE DRAFT?

A league source tells us that the primary snag in the talks between the Jets and cornerback Darrelle Revis, the No. 14 overall pick in the draft, is that the Jets are insisting on Revis signing a six-year deal, but that Revis wants a five-year contract.

With so many players taken in the top 16 signing deals of five years in duration instead of the CBA maximum of six seasons, the refusal of the Jets to do a five-year deal could cause this to become one of the lengthier holdouts of the bunch. And there are indications that, unless the Jets yield on this point, Revis might sit out the entire season and re-enter the draft.

Keep this in mind -- the uncle of Revis, Sean Gilbert, once sat out an entire season in a dispute with the Redskins. And thereafter Gilbert got paid a bunch of money.

Will it happen with Revis? At this point, it's way too early to tell. But, unlike every other rookie or holdout, he's a least got someone in the family who played the patience game, and eventually won it. So if the Jets won't drop the demand for a six-year deal and unless the six-year deal compensates Revis fully and fairly for the extra year of free agency that he'll be sacrificing, Revis could end up re-entering the draft in 2008.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

5. GreenMachine

I am placing a petition that all PFT articles be banned from TGG

6. Mantana Soss

I second this notion!

7. Mantana Soss

I think he has a greater chance of being picked later. Teams are going to fear issues in negotiation if the player was so stubborn he traded in a season of playing in the NFL for a chance to sign another contract.

8. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

This is now the official Revis thread. Keep it all in one place.

9. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

there is no way in hell that this could happen. its just a funny read, thats all

10. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

That has to be the most moronic and knee-jerk article I have ever read. It has been what, 3 days? 3 DAY!!!!!!! For Christ's sake how about a little perspective and patience. And we really don't know what the hang up is, this is all speculation. I doubt very much that after what the Jets traded away to get him that Tanny, Mangini, OR Woody Johnson would lose out on Revis by letting him sit out the whole year and re-enter the draft.

I swear, people just get dumber everyday. Friggin' idiots.

11. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

OK, so if he holds out all year, then signs the five-year deal he wants, what's the difference besides missing all that development and being broke for a year?

12. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

Forget the PFT article for a moment, there is so much posturing happening between the lines here that's impossible to accuse any party of anything. We don't even know the money that's being talked about.

13. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Off topic, but if someone reenters the draft, does the team that drafted that player get compensated for their draft pick, or do they lose out?

14. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

By drafting a player, all you gain is the exclusive right to negotiate a contract with that player. You do not "own" that player per-se, yet. So if you can't get it done in a year, you lose out completely.

15. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

at this point i think that the jets should just settle with revis and get him into camp. It is crucial for him in camp because he is going to be needed to bolster the secondary in the season. Now tannenbaum is just being stubborn and has to realize this

16. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

I would be waiting if I were Revis. All these guys around me are signing shorter contracts, it is in my best interest to do the same.

As a fan even, I would rather have a guy who plays out his 5 year contract silently instead of a guy with 6 years complaining about his contract. Most fans complain about players trying to get more money, but the truth is the only time players have any real power are when they are at the bargaining table. Revis is at the bargaining table, when he leaves it he needs to be content with what the terms he agreed too.

All in all, I can't side with the FO on this. Get him in already...

17. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

It is starting to get really stupid. ONE year? Come on Mr.T get it done!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#77 Kentucky Jet, Jul 30, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  18. Mantana Soss

Woohoo, is that the 3rd or 4th time?

19. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

people dont apparently read the entire thread before posting...it shouldnt be too hard to spot, given like Mantana said, its at least the 3rd or 4th time that its been posted

20. Keeper1125

Keeper1125 Member

PFT is a rumor mill and does not purport to be a news source.

With that said, it has lots of credibility, and was all over the Vick story before anyone ever knew about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.