ALL THINGS REVIS - Official Thread - Deal Signed - Thread Locked

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LWC611

LWC611 Member

Do five and call it a day...

2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

ALL THINGS REVIS - Official Thread

Revis Absent; Lines of Communication Still Open
    Published: 07-27-07

By Eric Allen
    Senior Managing Editor
    Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/articles/revis-absent-lines-of-communication-still-open
    Darrelle Revis was not on the field this morning when his teammates participated in the New York Jets? first training camp practice of 2007. The rookie corner, whom the Jets selected No. 14 overall at April?s NFL Draft, has not yet reached a contract agreement with the club.

?Anybody that?s not here is really missing opportunities to get better and to compete for what I?m sure what they all want, which is playing time,? said head coach Eric Mangini. ?But we are going to focus on the guys that are here and get them better and collectively get better.?

As per organizational policy, the Jets don?t discuss contract negotiations with the media.

?With any of the contract situations, those discussions are internal,? Mangini said. ?Mike [Tannenbaum] and I do speak, intimately ? don?t tell my wife. But no, really, those contract discussions are internal. We?d just like to keep it that way.?

According to NFL.com, 16 first-round picks have reached agreement with their respective teams. Revis became the first Jets draft pick to miss an opening-day training camp practice since James Farrior, selected No. 8 overall out of Virginia in 1997.

The Buffalo Bills signed RB Marshawn Lynch, the No. 12 overall selection from California, earlier in the day and the St. Louis Rams also inked DE Adam Carriker. The former Nebraska Cornhuskers standout went the pick before Revis at 13. Last week the Pittsburgh Steelers, who followed the Jets at 15, signed LB Lawrence Timmons.

?I think each situation is unique. I am disappointed that he [Revis] is not here," Tannenbaum said late Friday in an appearance on WFAN radio. "We worked our tails off, the entire staff. We were well prepared for the negotiation and obviously the lines of communications are still open. But we worked hard to try to get everything done on time. Although there are deals coming in around us, we were prepared to do a deal that was good for us as well as Darrelle. We?ll keep the lines of communication open.?

Revis, who earned All-Big East first-team honors after his sophomore and junior campaigns, left the University of Pittsburgh following this third collegiate season. He totaled eight interceptions with the Panthers and scored four times on a pair of punt returns and a pair of interceptions. The 5?11?, 204-pound defensive back was the first corner selected in the first round by the Green & White since Aaron Glenn in 1994.

?It is important players get here as quickly as possible so they have the best chance to produce on the field ? not only short-term but long-term," said Tannenbaum. "As soon as he signs, he?ll be out there. Right now our focus is on the players who are out there and there is a lot of competition going on."

3. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

I guess it's a bit comforting to know they're trying to get everything done as soon as possible. Who's Revis' agent? I remember reading it was the same as Pete Kendall's. I hope he isn't trying to play hardball using Revis to get back at what the Jets are doing to Kendall, though I doubt that'd be the case. That's just not good business.

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Big mistake on his part. If it gets in in the next day or so fine..if not he starts off in the doghouse and will be the subject of Mangini's ridicule all camp long. It certainly sounds from what Tannenbaum said that as far as the Jets are concerned it's over. He can come in or not..it's up to him now. He has the offer, take it or leave it.

#24 Don, Jul 27, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  5. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

id like him to be in camp obviously, but this is a good chance for barrett and poteat to try and lay an early claim to the #2 spot

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

What is this, the first time since 1997 that there has been a holdout? This really won't bode well for him with the team or the fans.

7. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

I read somewhere that the the sticking point was that the Jets wanted it to be 6 years and Revis only wanted 5. I also saw that all the guys taken in the few spots before and after him all got 5 year deals. If 5 years is what the market is dictating, I think it would be foolish for the Jets to be unwilling to do 5 instead of 6. From his perspective, why should he have to make a longer commitment to non-guarenteed money than thos drafted around them.

I am rarely on the players side in contract squabbles, but if this is the case, I think Revis could be justified in refusing to accept their offer.

8. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

If he is going to be compensated properly, which I'm sure he would be for the 6th year, It shouldn't really be a major issue... Amobi Okoye signed a 6yr deal with the Texans as the 10 pick... Revis is the 14 pick... so not every pick is signing a 5year deal. It wouldn't be far reaching to try and get a six year deal done...

Ellis

9. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

6 year deals for top 10 picks seems to be a trend. 11-20 get significantly less signing bonus and have every right to request a 5 year deal. 20-32 becomes a juggling act between signing bonus and 4 or 5 year deals.

He has every right to ask for a 5 year deal. If he's worth it, we'll franchise or resign him anyway.

10. Mehl-56

I'm just saying it's not like it's some far fetched idea out of Mars... there's a reason we are trying to sign him for 6...

11. plinko

plinko Absolute Ruler

Except it's in his best interests to sign as short of a contract he can as first round pick.

12. Mehl-56

Obviously it's in his best interest... thats a no brainer... but IF HE IS COMPENSATED PROPERLY for the 6th year, like my original post says, it's not like this is some revolutionary new tactic that is being employed here... obviously they think highly enough of him to try and lock him up for 6 years... as long as they pay him for the year, and it's done where both come out happy with the contract... I'm all for it...

13. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

It does not really matter, the length of the contract is all a bunch of crap............... If he is excellent the team will do their best to extend it by the 5th or 6th year. Which means more signing bonus. Which means he will eventually benefit no matter what.

If he sucks he can sign a 10 year contract for all I care he is going to get cut.

1 year at the end of a contract, is not going to make a huge difference if he is going to be a good player. What will really make a difference in him being a good player this year though is getting his ass into camp and learning at full speed with pads on.

14. I bleed Jets Green

I bleed Jets Green New Member

I think Revis is being an idiot for not taking 6 Years and demanding the 5.

15. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

If he did that for that reason alone, he's risking his law license, or whatever lawyers call it.

16. Rhodes Scholar

While I am not happy that Revis has yet to be signed, I believe that he will sign very soon, so I think he should be fine.

17. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

As a fan, how in the world do not want to lock Revis up for 6 years????? If its a 5 year deal, you run the risk that Revis can be a free agent after 5 years. A 6 year deal is better for the team and therefore for all of us fans. If you are Revis' side in this matter, then your priorities are screwed up. He's not going to give any of you his money.

18. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

all the other players signed 5 year deals as well. only 2/20 1st round picks have signed 6yr deals

19. freestater

freestater New Member

ALL the picks surrounding Revis signed 5 year deals. This is pissing me off. We're gonna let the guy we traded half our draft for, just sit out of camp?!??! Stop trying to squeeze blood out of a stone Tanyy, and SIGN THE FREAKIN' KID!!!!!!

20. KleckoNamathToon

Whoa, ease up on the caffeine dude.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.