Herm: The worst thing I did when I was in New York was..........

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pride, May 15, 2007.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Definitely, I appreciate what he did it's just he gets a little overrated by jet fans from time to time. We all loved him and wish he was still playing at his pre-'03 level. Imagine wayne as our #3 w/ Coles and Cotch? wow!

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Well, he did set NFL records for receptions by a player in their first two years. That is more then merely good and in no way overrates him to say he was great.

3. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

Sounds like Bill Parcells. EVERY coach can look back and wish he had played somebody more.

4. KSJets

KSJets New Member

I think the majority of the debate about what Wayne did under Herm as opposed to the other coaches was that under the other coaches, 3rd down became automatic Wayne territory. You just knew he was going to get the ball on 3rd down, and he basically could not be stopped.

Under Herm, you just never got that feeling. Sure, he had his 3rd down receptions, but 3rd down became more of a RB draw situation more often. The stats can often mask this perception. Sure he had his 3rd down receptions, but we seemed to be in 3rd down territory more often due to the run-run-pass-punt philosophy.

5. Don

I agree. He may have still gotten some opportunities but it never seemed as automatic as it had in the past.

6. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Herm himself admitted he didn't play Cotchery enough. That was the point of this whole thread. Isn't that the reality you speak of?

7. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

I have so much to say about this but my therapist has told uh uh...no. Just bring it to the grave and start enjoying the family more.

8. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Tanny was the assistant GM. He did what he was told. Bradway/Herm/Johnson made the decisions of who was to be resigned or given contracts. Tanny was just here to make it as cap friendly as possible and get the contract done. He wasn't the GM so you can't hold him responsible for the decisions made at that time.

9. nyjunc

That doesn't mean much, our #2 WR in 1995 was Charles Wilson who we acquired around the 1st week of the season. he avreaged 11 yards per rec which is awful, in '96 he averaged under 11 YPR which is even worse. In '95 h had just 13 recs on 3rd owns(9 for 1st downs) while in '96 he had 31 3rd down recs but only 21 for 1st downs.

for his career he was among the top 10 in a category just ONCE and coincidentally it was under Herm when he had 9 rec TDs in 2002. he was not great, not at any point of his career.

10. nyjunc

I think he is just saying that b/c Cotch was on the field ALOT in 2005 as a 2nd year player. if he played as much in '05 as he did in '04 I'd buy it.

11. KSJets

KSJets New Member

I know you're a stat-whore, but please don't bring up stats from the Kotite years. It may send some people back into therapy :grin:

12. nyjunc

So it's about feelings not about what actually happened?

13. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

You cant be serious. If your boss told you to go out and get some prunes for the boys for breakfast, on him, you would do it right? You might bitch about..but damn it...he wants prunes for the boys.

He never "gave" contracts..he structered them. I havent seen anything from tanny resembling the blind chaos that was going around here during that era that would lead me to believe tanny would ever ok contracts to veterans like what was going on during the past regime. Nothing at all.

#53 jaywayne12, May 16, 2007
    Last edited: May 16, 2007
  14. nyjunc

Don brought up his first 2 years, i was pointing out the reality of the situation.

15. KSJets

KSJets New Member

So now you're twisting Herm's own words? He said what he said, isn't that enough?

16. KSJets

KSJets New Member

I know, but seeing any stat from those two years is very depressing.

17. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

huh? This was a quote from Herm, his own opinion and evaluation of how he handled a player. A guy you defend as not being as inept as people make him out to be. So now you are saying he is wrong? Now you are defending Herm against Herm himself? Don't you think that is a little ridiculous?

18. nyjunc

Why is it you guys don't beleve anything herm syas when it's positive but now you believe him when it's negative? i think he's trying to make it look like he's grown as a coach but hefacts are Cotch played ALOT in 2005.

19. nyjunc

Again, why is it every time Herm says something positive you say he is lying but now it's something negative and you believe him? I'd believe him if I didn't see Cotch play so much in 2005. if he said he wished that he would have started him then that wold be ok but he played alot in his 2nd year.

20. Don

Actually that's pretty funny because I have no idea who Charles Wilson even was and I never miss a game. Obviously not someone to leave a lasting memory.