Kendall and Baker covered for D'Brick's "gaffes"?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFighter, May 10, 2007.

1. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

From espn.com, Wispers from Around the NFL:

Some Jets observers believe that if LG Pete Kendall were to be let go by the Jets, second-year OLT D'Brickashaw Ferguson might regress. The way we hear it, Kendall, along with TE Chris Baker, covered up a number of Ferguson's gaffes during his rookie season.

Your thoughts? Discuss amongst yourselves....

2. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

nothing new here. He's got to get better, no doubt, but he was a rookie.

3. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

Agreed. What I wonder though is if we agree with the assessment that if Kendall gets cut, than D-Brick's development stalls. I tend to disagree with that statement, but others might agree...

4. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

I would have to agree a little bit with the statement. Having a good veteran guy like Kendell next to a young player can help him grow and develop. If we replace Kendell with someone less experienced and who has less leadership D-Brick might not have as good a season as we hope. However, I could be completely wrong and D-Brick could gain some weight and turn into a great LT this year. We really won't know what to think of D-Brick until TC and through the next season.

5. Zcore

Zcore New Member

D'Brick is a good kid. Let's not forget he wasa ROOKIE. I'm sure he be fine

6. BonScott

BonScott Active Member

Kendall, while a vet, is undersized. How might D'brick do with a house next to him? Who knows, he was a rook, he will progress.

7. Dbrickdaman

Dbrickdaman New Member

A o-line only works as a un it, somebody is always pikcin up somebody elses gaffes.

8. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

Ferguson is a good player, but proving not to be worthy of #4. However, your skill once drafted is not what determines your slot, instead it's the desire to have you during the draft.

9. GreyhoundJet

How can you make that judgement after 1 year?

10. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

I think you can easily... At least see he's not living up to #4.. certainly not bust level, but not #4 either. I could be dead wrong, but I'm NOT a believer in having to wait 3-4 yrs to judge.

11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Kendall has played well since joining the JETS. Cutting him without an adequate replacement would be a bad move regardless of what D'Brick does.

12. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

I think that he's exceeded expectations to be perfectly honest with you, after seeing the way he developed through college then after one year in the NFL, I think he's upped his game immensely. Of course Kendell and to an extent Baker made up for some of Ferguson's mistakes, that's why it's called an offensive line.

13. GreyhoundJet

How can you not be a believer of giving a player time to develop and get used to a new league. LT is one of the hardest positions in the NFL and to think that D-Brick would step in and be one of the best would be un realistic. The way to determine how good a player is you have to give him a year or two in the league before judging. Going by your theory not many top draft picks are successful because many don't break through in their first year.

14. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

Oh well, D'Brick has two years to improve his game and prove he was worth being drafted 4th overall.

15. GreenMachine

So Clemens must be a bust..:eek:hmy:

16. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I disagree with this both ways, since I also don't think that a great rookie season necessarily means someone is going to be a star in the league for years (there are plenty of great rookies who never match that level of play again). I think the *only* way to make a final evaluation of a player is after several years, although that doesn't prevent you from judging his progress along the way.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

With Tony Wise as the O-Line coach, D-Brick will be a sound LT. It is one of the most difficult positions to play as well as one of the most under-appreciated.

#17 NDmick, May 11, 2007
    Last edited: May 11, 2007
  18. Gator

Gator Active Member

Yes it is, and the main reason are the big names coming at him. Jason Taylor and the like. D'Brick better be loading up at the dinner table. He needs some bulk. Football is weird like that, Sometimes a belly is not the worst thing in the world. You want big, quick, athletic, fat guys. :) Think Sumo wrestling.

19. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

Brick had a ok season, and thats what i hoped he could accomplish. He?s facing so many different types of opponents week in and week out, i mean there are guys like Freeny, who are pure speed rushers, with very quick hands and great moves, there are guys like Seymor, who have great power, and its very hard to even get a grip on them because of their long arms, and there are guys like taylor who comes from the second level, and so on and so on.

Most of the elite LTs in this league are around 30 and that?s cuz u need so much experience on this position.

I think D?Brick is a great player, we got a diamond here, that just needs some time, but i don?t think he?ll have a probowl season this year, but he?ll get a elite LT in 3-4 years.

#19 German Jets Fan, May 11, 2007
    Last edited: May 11, 2007
  20. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

btw, his competition in practice is Kimo von Old, not the best sparrings partner....