Darelle Revis Interview-Guess Who His Buddy Is

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Coach K, May 2, 2007.

1. Coach K

Coach K New Member

JETS: Interview with top pick Darrelle Revis
    April 28, 20007

On his immediate reaction after being selected by the Jets

First, I'd like to thank Mr. Johnson, Coach Mangini and Mike Tannenbaum for selecting me and believing in my abilities. My first reaction was, I just started crying. It was something I've dreamed about my whole life, and now it's here.

On if he was surprised by the Jets trading up to select him

I was surprised. I didn't know what was going on. When I looked on the TV screen, I saw Carolina had the pick. Then I get a call from the Jets organization, and that is when they told me the news.

On learning from Ty Law

Me and Ty talk all the time. Ty will be in the Hall of Fame in the near future. I look up to him. He played at the Jets, and I'm going to continue to talk to him even more just to get more insight into things like the NFL process so he can help me out. He's taught me things from technique, to just being a positive person off the field and doing good business on the field. I have a lot of good options on my hands right now.

On his meeting with the Jets

I couldn't get a feel for them. They brought me up there, and I knew they brought me up there for a reason because they were interested in me. When I came up for the visit, it was great. We had a great talk, me and Coach Mangini and Mike Tannenbaum. It was great. I appreciate them bringing me up there and letting me spend time with them and letting me get to know everybody in the organization.

On the excitement of playing in New York

I have not experienced that yet. I have family from New York. They are big on supporting the Jets and the Giants, and I can't really answer that question because I haven't experienced playing in the Jets' stadium.

On his family in New York
    Just cousins. First cousins, second cousins.

On his 40-yard dash time

A lot of people said I ran a 4.5, and I never did. I never ran a 40. Basically, it motivated me to go out there and showcase my talents on my Pro-Day.

On inaccurately publicized 40-yard dash times

I never ran a 40 in my life until my Pro-Day.

On his knowledge of the Jets' organization and Coach Mangini's style

The only thing I know about the Jets is that Ty Law played there. I just know players' names. I really haven't gotten inside of the organization yet. I'm in there now, and I'll be able to get more involved with the coaches and players.

On whether being a punt returner help his draft stock

Me being a punt returner that is just something that I felt I'd like to. It probably played a role in the decision of selecting me with a number of teams. I just love the ball in my hands and love to make plays and help the team out in whatever way I can. Returning punts, you can't score every time. It's about making sure you secure the ball and getting it back to the offense so they can go down and score. Now, if you make a couple cuts and get some blockers then you might be going 70 yards.

On whether he expects to start immediately

My thing is to just come in there and learn the system. There is going to be competition, and I know there are already guys there. My job is to come in and learn the system and be focused on being a Jet, while building relationships around my teammates and coaches.

On whether he was upset that he wasn't selected by the Steelers

No, not me. Whatever team picks me, that is the best situation for me. The Steelers are a great team and there is nothing wrong with them. If I would have stayed home, I would have stayed home.

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070428/SPORTS/704280353

Now I know the mention of Law will discourage some, I could care a less cuz I think this kid will be a stud. Just something that caught my eye.

2. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

I wouldn't worry. Curtis Martin is friends with Jim Brown, who is a serious lowlife.

-X-

3. Coach K

Coach K New Member

Jim Brown a lowlife? You mean the past fight with a woman in a hotel room? Jim Brown is the epitome of contributing to a community especially the mediator work he does with teens in street gangs.

Bad call IMO.

4. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

You guys are all missing the key part of the story- Revis doesn't refer to himself in the third person, so maybe Ty Law's influence isn't as great as you'd suspect.

Also, he says that he has cousins in New York, wait until all of those other "cousins" and "moochies" try and get their meal-ticket.

5. baamf

baamf Active Member

I'm not worried unless he gets a "Get Paid" tattoo like Assante... :grin:

6. Coach K

Coach K New Member

haha that is funny. i think nobody had it worse than Jamarcus Russell.

but I think Revis is a tough minded, hard worker who has enough of an ego to know his ability. which is what I want in a player. cuz if you dont think your the best, why should anyone else?

if anything Law can coach him on his playing days prior to leaving the Pats, when he wasnt trying to do WR's dry cleaning on the field.

7. rillo

rillo New Member

A lowlife? no way he does alot for the community....

8. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

There was a good article in the Post about Revis yesterday.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/0501200...ows_over_jets__revis_jets_mark_cannizzaro.htm

9. GreenMachine

Wadsworth helped train Revis before the draft. they have the same trainer.

10. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

He trained with Hobson, too.

11. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

He's been to prison, he has a history of violence, and he's been arrested in many instances where people decided not to prosecute. Where there's smoke there's fire.

-X-

12. JetInAbsentia

JetInAbsentia New Member

Can a man only be defined by what he did before he reformed his life, and not after?

13. Warhound7

Warhound7 New Member

Revis is going to be a solid contributor from day 1. This kid is the next Ty Law as far as im concerned.

14. dclark26

dclark26 New Member

Curtis Martin is friends with everyone

15. Carl Spacklers Grass

Should be interesting to track Revis, Ross and Hall and see who makes it to the pro-bowl first...cuz I'm SURE one of them will make it, sooner than later

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I get more confused by his close, personal friendship with Tat-Face Tyson.

17. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

The more I read about our top 2 picks, the more I think we had a great draft. 2 immediate starters, both of which had very high grades. I think Revis will definitely be starting next yr, and making a huge impact on our secondary. The only worry I have is that we didn't draft a DT, and that we may still have trouble stopping runs up the middle.

18. biggundewayne63

biggundewayne63 Active Member

had that bad cameo in "Mars attacks"

19. lightning

lightning Active Member

Take it easy

20. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

From nfl.com - Aliquippa, Pa., has produced such NFL standouts as tight end Mike Ditka, running back Tony Dorsett and cornerback Ty Law. Don't be surprised to see cornerback Darrelle Revis, the Jets' first-round pick, join that collection of standouts. Law has befriended Revis and has been talking to him three times a week. Nobody is better equipped to debrief Revis on what to expect in New York, with Jets head coach Eric Mangini, than Law. Revis is poised to become a standout.