The "Pro's" Grade the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Spike_D, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Spike_D

Spike_D Active Member

Pete Prisco - cbssportsline
    New York Jets
    Best pick: Getting linebacker David Harris in the second round will prove to be a great move. They did give up picks to get him, though.

Questionable move: Giving up all their picks to get two players is a risky move for a young team. Are they close to a Super Bowl? I don't think so.

Second-day gem: Sixth-round pick Jacob Bender had a good day against Rams first-round pick Adam Carriker when he faced him. He's a project, but he's worth a look.

Overall grade: C. They got two good football players in first-round pick Darrelle Revis and David Harris, but are they a team that is just two players away? They gave up a lot to move up to get them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

John Czarnecki - foxsports
    Czar's breakdown: A lot of Bill Belichick has rubbed off on head coach Eric Mangini because they made some quality picks, even though it cost them a valuable second-round choice in order to move from the 25th spot in the first round to the 14th spot to select Pitt cornerback Darrelle Revis, the best player at his position. Michigan ILB David Harris fits Mangini's 3-4 defense and don't forget they earlier swapped a second-round pick for the Bears' most productive running back last season in Thomas Jones. They filled some definite needs without a lot of firepower. With their final two picks, took Jacob Bender an offensive tackle and then Clemson WR Chansi Stuckey.

Grade: B+
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Jason Cole - yahoo
    New York Jets: They paid a high price to get corner Darrelle Revis, but he was the top-rated cornerback by most teams in this draft and will start right away. Given that the Patriots seriously upgraded their receiving corps, the Jets really needed an instant impact player like Revis. Likewise, inside linebacker David Harris will start right away in the front seven. Jacob Bender is a big-body project to get in the sixth-round and could actually develop into a mauler left tackle one day. That said, the Jets needed a little more help than they got.
    Grade: C

Dr.Z - SI.com
    JETS -- B+
    They only had four picks, and two of them don't really move me, but look what dedicated individuals can accomplish when they set their minds to it. They landed Darrelle Revis, the closest thing to a shutdown corner the draft had to offer ... a guy whose star was shooting up so fast that they had to trade up to get him. They drafted one of the toughest LBs, David Harris, from Michigan, one of the country's toughest defenses. And don't forget that the extra second-round pick they used for the Revis trade-up came from swapping choices with the Bears for Thomas Jones, who is now New York's premier runner.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sporting News - War Room
    New York Jets. Darrelle Revis immediately becomes the Jets' best cornerback and David Harris gives them the big, physical inside linebacker they need for their 3-4 defense. OT Jacob Bender was a good late pick.
    Grade A-

Tom Weir - USA TODAY
    New York Jets ***

Trading up, the Jets plugged their biggest hole with CB Darrelle Revis, who also returns punts. They traded up to get second-round LB David Harris, a prolific tackler who should step right into their 3-4 scheme.

OUR GRADING SCALE

**** -- Reloaded and ready to make strides
    *** Fresh blood will pay dividends
    ** -- Holes plugged, but leaks remain
    * -- Whoops!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Kinda fun seeing how different people feel about the draft choices a team makes.

2. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

I have this sick feeling in my stomach. I agree with Prisco. I feel ill.

3. floridajet

floridajet Member

then you should get back on your meds.

4. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

First of all it's Pros, not Pro's.

I think the day 1 picks will be fine, I have no clue about the day 2 guys. But, we are not only 2 players away, especially after what the Pats have done.

5. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Uggh I think I agree with Pric so as well. We are definately more than 2 players away but this team is trying to put good young players in place to make the Jets a quality team for years. These are the types of moves teams close to the Bowl make and unfortunately I don't think we are that close to the bowl.

6. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

OK - the Jets need more than 2 upgrades to win a Superbowl. But I don't think that means too much regarding the Jets moves on draft day. In a really shitty draft year, no picks wind up being star players. In a normal year, you should get one star. In a really good year, two stars. And more than two is pretty much out of reach. So if Revis and Harris turn out to be stars, then it's hard to argue that trading up was a bad move.

7. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Prisco is an idiot, like giving the Pats an A for getting someone that had absolutely nothing to do with the draft, all this credibility just was flushed down the toilet right there

8. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

I agree Prisco is an idiot, I normally avoid his articles. But I agree with his assessment of the Jets draft. I LOVE the players the Jets got. But I think they gave up too much. Personally I would have preferred if they didn't trade up in the second round, kept the 3rd rounder and used it on an Olineman like Ramirez. I completely support the trade up in the 1st for Revis. Just not the 2nd round trade, too too much IMO. So I see where he is coming from, which is why I now feel like throwing up all over my shoes.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I was just gonna say, I don't think I have ever agreed with Prisco and disagreed with Dr Z before but I definitely do this time.

10. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

Gentleman the good news is I don't think Prisco's ever been right in his life. Remember those asshole comments he would make about the Jets in his power rankings? This post is forgetting supposedly the biggest "expert" in the draft Mel Kiper. While I think he's another idiot, he did give us a B.

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Revis,Harris,Jones=NICE

12. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

Not only did we pick up 3 day-one starters in this draft, but they all fill needs. We definitely NEEDED a CB and a RB, and Harris sounds like he'll be an upgrade in the middle of our defense, which could not stop the run last year.

13. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

If Prisco is so right, there are only a handfull of teams that are two players away from a superbowl..and quite honestly..I have no idea who they are. A draft that gives you 3 key starters this year, including Jones, is a successful one. Show me more then a few teams that will feature 3 starters from a draft whether it be trade or picks...and I would agree with Prisco.

You dont become a superbowl team with one draft or loading up with 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks...that happens over a period of at least 3 drafts. The first draft cemented 40% of your offensive line for the next decade. The second draft gave you a starting running back, a solid CB and a solid LB. Thats 3 players on offense and 2 on defense.

He makes it sound like you should be getting 5 starters each draft. Nobody is doing that. If you want to knock this regime...you can knock their lack of getting quality impact players in free agency. Other then that..they are sticking to the gameplan. I have no problems with that.

I would take a draft that provides two quality starters every year. If it provides two quality stars..bingo. This team is loaded with role players...so what does the front office do? They go out and say..here...heres all of our picks...we do not need more role players...we are going for stars now..young ones. How can anyone disagree with that.

14. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Last year we started Ferguson and Mangold from the draft. Washington made a major contribution, Smith, Smith and Coleman played a little, Clemens, Schlegel, Pociask and Adams made no contribution. Adams is gone, who knows about Pociask, maybe even Schlegel. Clemens is still here, so that's seven guys. Presuming three of our guys make the roster this year (figuring Bender for the practice squad) that's ten in two years, which in my view is a better than average return.

Last year was exceptional, no doubts - it would be ludicrous to expect that again.

From last year's draft the Pats have Maroney starting, Jackson and Thomas hurt for the foreseeable future, Mills, Mincey, Stevenson and Smith contributing little, O'Callaghan and Andrews barely more. Obviously they have their kicker. So that's two guys who made a major impact. From the year before Sanders, Kaczur, Mankins and Hobbs have contributed, Cassell is the backup QB. So that's six in two years, and they're held up as the pinnacle of drafting excellence. I don't think our last two drafts stack up unfavourably.

15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Give me 3 starters in need positions over 6 backup players anyday. This was not a strong draft, so to come away with the best running back, best DB, argruably the best run stuffing IMLB for a 3-4, and a huge maller OL men and Im happy.

16. Pavlus53

Pavlus53 Member

New York Jets
    Draft Grade: Incomplete

Check back in January for final grade.

Actually, this draft should be graded in three years, but you get the picture.

17. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Our draft was questionable, and is pretty much impossible to gauge until after a year or two.

#17 Twombles, May 1, 2007
    Last edited: May 1, 2007
  18. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

Prisco is a moron...I actually feel better that he dislikes the Jets draft.
    As for the price? Well we will know more at the end of the year based upon Revis' play. However IF the guy turns out to be and/or be on his way to a #1CB, then a 2nd rd pick will be a steal (See the price in picks and/or salary for Champ Bailey, Nate Clements, etc).

19. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

What did the Jets really give up in the end, though? They didn't have a 4 and a 7 going into the day. While they had an extra 2, that was really from last year's dealings. So in essence they picked four players in a draft where they had five picks. Meanwhile, they ended up making picks in the first half of the 1st and second rounds when they were sitting in the bottom quarter of each round had they done nothing(@25 and 59). When you pick early in the high rounds, the chance to get an incrementally better player is greater than picking higher in the latter rounds.

Plus, the 6th rd pick was Tampa's from the Jolley trade, so it was a high 6 (low 5) vs. picking at the end of the 6th. So, for Harris, they gave up a low 2 and a "high" 7.

20. slink88

slink88 New Member

Amen...Who really knows? Revis could turn into Bruce Pickens. Who? Exactly...It's impossible to know anything and writers just make grades because fans love to have immediate validation on their team's draft. It doesn't mean anything. My wife could make a grade that is just as meaningful and she doesn't watch a single snap...Besides how many of these "pros" actually watched Nichols State play? or even Pittsburgh for that matter...

The Jets picks seem to make sense based on need but until they suit up and play for a few years (ie...B Thomas, Cotchery...) we won't know anything. In Mangini I trust!!! He knows more than I do and if he likes the picks who am I to question.