W/ the Fo's mistake: The Jet fans are the biggest losers

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KurtTheJetsFan, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Do you think that 6th round pick, can get Moore out of the RG spot ?

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I tried to make that point earlier. Barlow was a pretty good back in SF behind their O line which is probably why we gave up a 4th for him. Look at what Frank Gore did last year. People love to slam Barlow but just maybe it had something to do with our line.

3. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

The off season is far from over, too. We probably don't need another rookie on the O line anyway, so they could always bring in a veteran who fits that need over the summer. Remember we got Kendall in August, you never know what happens.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He's 6'6". That's a big guard and a lot of teams don't like the interior passing lanes blocked by that kind of height.

Between him and Kendall you have two very tall guards. I'd think he's more likely to be looked at at LG and RT.

5. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

Kurt is a Moderator and he calls the Jet fans losers. How did that happen?

****no matter, I read his edit. Still, your post is WAY off base brother. Just saying.

#205 fake_crs, Apr 30, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  6. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

His personal opinions & be a mod is apple & oranges. As another example Petro who owns this site was a very strong anti Herm poster so does it mean he should have banned all the pro Herm posters on the board?

7. Hobbes3259

True, But of the two on the right side, Moore sucks the hardest, and IIRC at SD (trying to see Schotty's proclivities) the guards are taller than avg (6'2.6'3)

8. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Here is my take. Now it probably is a little too bit sunshiny but oh well. I think they took care of the depth part in Free agency. Look at seemingly every position, they 3-4-5 players competing. Now I fully realize it is not 3-4-5 pro bowlers at every spot. I do think the 3 notable exceptions to the competition thing area at WR, NT and the O-line. Other than that there is lots of competiton and depth. Now I realize that the depth is not as talented as the Patriots and say Chargers but Rome was not built in a day.

Well, personally I think this is a good thing. There was arguably 2 impact players available in free agency. Nate Clements and A. Thomas. Thomas would have been nice but expensive and Clements was even more so. This FA period mirrored what the experts said of the draft. It was weak. The Jets did the opposite in FA they went for more is merrier where as in the draft they went for Quality over Quantity. I think that way was cheaper, way cheaper. It remains to be seen if it was better.

I agree. I think that Football is won in the trenches. I would have liked some more help on O-line. Camp is still months away, there are lots of new coaches building their teams lets see maybe they can pick up an extra o-lineman or two ala Kendall. Still that is largely the result of the prior regimes inability to hold onto the young linemen and draft their replacements. In two years this FO has drafted 3 O-linmen out of 14 players. That is a decent percentage.

Like I said above this team has depth in many spots and holes in a few others. There is still time to rectify that. Mangini is on record as saying that he wants depth everywhere and that there is no safe player on this team.

Well I agree in hindsight they could not fix what was broken with Ramsey. He flat out stunk as a back up. Well the fact is Chad played all 16 anyhow so even if he was just a notch below he still would not have played anyway. I think the Bollinger trade was a wash with this anyway so that is no big deal whatsoever.

Barlow was another matter. At the time the Jets were really horrible depth wise. They needed another option at Rb as Houston Blaylock and Washington clearly were not the answer. They gave up a 4 for him and looking back that was too much. Still that is not a crucifiable offense for a GM that had a bare cupboard.

I am actually not defending what they did in the draft this year because it is a completely different philosophy then they used last year, which worked pretty well. I will say this, we may have lost the paper acquisition battle to the Patriots but the Jets have not gone out of their comfort zone as did the patriots. The patriots gave much of this years draft away in a win now philosophy that was not present in prior years. I have no idea what that resulted from. Maybe they thought the draft was really weak as well, although they still retained an extra #1 next year.

I would say we lost this year in trying to catch them. However does their spending spree hurt them later on and give the jets a "catch up" provision, is another matter all together. They did sign some older players and used some of their cache to get others. So it remains to be seen if they went one step forward only to go 2-3 steps back.

Well I guess we agree to disagree. I think this FO has no MO. Meaning if the draft is weak or FA period is weak then they will do what they think is right to make the best of the bad situation. I can not argue against the logic of getting the best players available in a weak draft rather then waste 7-8 picks on mediocre talent. They got the mediocre talent in FA why not go after players you covet in the draft. That is where the future probowlers are going to come from anyway with just a few notable exceptions.

What they did this year was completely different then last. I am sure if the draft next year is strong then they will have an altogether different game plan. One thing is for sure is that these were well thought out moves. It was not a panic move like the Robertson trade that was designed to wipe egg off of his face as was the case with Bradway.

9. Br4d

As an example:

Why did we not give Adalius Thomas a $45 million dollar contract (beating the Pats out) to come and play OLB for us and then draft an offensive lineman and a defensive lineman with the 63 and the 89?

Instead we signed David Bowens to pass rush for us and traded two building blocks for Harris, who might well be a more solid building block than the two lineman but definitely is not the player that Thomas is.

There's just no way that Thomas, young OL and young DL was not the way to go in that circumstance.

I think the thing that's most disappointing about the overall free agency/draft period is that our upside is so limited by the choices we made.

10. Br4d

Think though about what it would mean to have 6'6" LT, 6'5" left guard, 6'4" center, 6'6" right guard and 6'8" right tackle.

That's a lot of trees for Chad or whoever to have to look over in the pocket.

Damn, I didn't really realize exactly how tall the Jet's line was already. Mangold and Kendall are both a couple of inches over what you usually see in the middle.

11. JetInAbsentia

JetInAbsentia New Member

I've got to tell you, I feel alot better about giving a 30-year-old free agent $8 million than I do about giving him nearly six times as much.

To me, what you're arguing smacks of the logic which led to the acquisition of Ty Law (which I supported once upon a time, and I was wrong). The Patriots were one piece away (and one minute away) from the Super Bowl in 2006. Were the Jets? No. So why blow that much on an older pass rusher when you have so many other holes to fill?

12. csw572

csw572 Banned

Whoever wrote this post is a sorry individual who should probably get on some medication for depression. When the Jets were 4-12 nobody thought they were going to be good last year, especially when passing on Leinart and looking the opposite direction when Reggie Bush and Vince Young were in reach and taking an offensive tackle with the 4th overall pick. How could you ever be so down on your team in the begining of May? Last i checked Randy Moss was a stud going to Oakland and acted like a complete ass clown. He never hustled, he dropped way too many balls, and talked trash about his team to the media. I wouldn't be suprised if he went to the patriots and destroyed their hard working, blue collar, smash mouth football reputation that took them 3 superbowls to achieve.

13. JetInAbsentia

JetInAbsentia New Member

Yikes, buddy.

14. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

You should have stuck to the 72 hour rule you posted the other day, because you're going off the deep end at this point.

Adalius Thomas is NOT the second coming of Lawrence Taylor. Let's get that straight right off the bat. He's was just the pick of the litter is one of the worst FA classes in recent history. He was NOT worth a $45 million contract. He's a nice backer who'll be a productive player in the league for years to come, but he'll never live up to the contract he signed with NE.

I would have gone OL and DL with picks 63 and 89 as well, and it's nice to see you're not bashing the Revis trade and draft, but the guys I wanted at those picks, Beekman and Soliai, went in the 4th round. Why is that? It seems like just about every FO in the league didn't see late 2nd or late 3rd round value at OG or NT. Personally, I would have traded down from the 2nd for a 3rd and 4th in this case, but maybe there were no trading partners?

Harris was a great pick for us. Playing next to Vilma is going to make a hell of a tandem, and help our run defense almost as much as an excellent 3-4 NT, which did NOT exist in this draft.

As for young OL, we got one with a mid round grade in the 6th. We also have several on the roster.

As for FA, that's where we did our bargain draft shopping. Instead of blowing mid round picks we went out and got some guys that have actually played in the NFL, yet are still young.

If elite talent in FA is non-existant (as it was this year) and the upcoming draft class is weak (as it was this year), stockpiling young FA's and going quality over quantity in the draft is the way to go. Again, well played by our FO, even if it will take some posters a year to understand the concept.

15. YOYOYO

YOYOYO Active Member

You guys complaining are way too much. The Jets got two guys that will start and IMO will be very good from day one in this draft. Along w/TJ for moving back how can you be upset??? Just b/c the Jets didnt have a bunch of picks??? Come on this FO has nothing but be VERY impressive since day one so have some faith!!!

16. Hobbes3259

Yes, the same as in SD. (the 6'2",6'3") I wrote, is my ideal size chart, in SD they are all 6'4 or better though Bender is closing in on 6'7".

I wonder if they will sacrifice the inside thrwoing lane inconvienience for year one with a thought to getting him outside next year, when they can draft a regular guard....

17. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Will it win us a super bowl?

I think everybody misunderstands what the complaints are all about. It's not about the two players we took. It's about whether or not we fell farther behind New England and Denver and we were always behind Indy anyway.

We will never get to the SB if we can't beat those teams when it counts. Add San Diego to the list too.

The good teams get better dramatically and we are taking baby steps.

18. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

What has San Diego ever done in the playoffs? All you can do is build your own team and put in your system, you can't control what everyone else does. You certainly can't draft and pick up guys based on what other teams do.

19. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

New England - Signed, drafted, and traded for half a dozen guys with serious character issues. TEAM chemistry won them superbowls. Selling out to the devil usually bites you in the ass. If it all comes together by some dumb luck, they likely win the superbowl, if not, the season could be a disaster. Over half of their FA signings were 1 year deals, and they traded a 2nd and a 7th for Wes freaking Welker?

Denver - Jay Cutler is still the starting QB. They also drafted guys (trading up mind you) with even more serious character issues. Denver didn't do anything this offseason to set them ahead of the pack.

Colts - Lost both their corners and didn't bother replacing them in FA or the first round of the draft, brilliant!

Chargers - Honestly, what did they do to increase the gap between us and them?

20. Br4d

Philip Rivers is 6'5". It's a bit easier on him than on Chad who is 6'3" or Kellen Clemens who is 6'1.5" (yikes)