Some UDFA's worth signing

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Jabba the Jet, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

This is true, but for whatever it's worth at least a half dozen teams made a B-line for Leonard Peters immediately following the draft, and I'm hearing he was being treated like a "PRIORITY UDFA", but he gave his word to the Jets when the Jets promised they wouldn't draft a Safety, and he kept his word

PS. I also read that Mangini attended Alama-Francis Pro Day and wound up spending more time with Leonard Peters .. rumor has it Mangini fell in love with this kid as a prospect, probably because he reminds Mangini of Harrison?

#21 Jabba the Jet, Apr 30, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  2. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Leonard Peters looks like a sick hitter......wow I'm real impressed.......Hopefully he has enough speed to play in the NFL because he hits like a mack truck

3. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

The reason he went undrafted - he doesn't clock fast on the track

He's like a 4.7 Guy on the track, maybe the 4.6's on his best day, but that has always been true of Rodney Harrison as well and they are similar type players .. both play faster than they clock, both make up for what they lack in speed with terrific instincts, and both hit like Jack Dempsey

I'm not saying Peters will be Rodney Harrison, RH is a borderline HOFer, but I'm sure Mangini sees the similarities and that's why he fell in love with Peters as a SS prospect

JMO KK

4. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

You must be pretty good if Reggie Bush takes notice. In an ESPN online chat last December, Bush, USC's Heisman Trophy winner, was asked who was the best player he played against in college?

His response:

"The guy that sticks out is No. 42, the safety from Hawaii. He was just everywhere, involved in everything. I don't know his name but he was fast and he was a great player and everytime I got tackled, he was there."

That Guy Reggie Bush was referring to, #42 for Hawaii, was SS Leonard Peters.

5. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

now THAT is a scouting report.

6. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

what about chris Leak, i know we don?t need a QB and he?s too short for the nfl, but he got some skills, and i?ve bee very surprised, that he wasn?t drafted.

he could be what another team?s brad smith

7. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

He was signed by the Bears

8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

What about Kelly Leak. He's the best athlete in the county!

9. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

That highlight video of Peters is very impressive, however, I think he is much more suited as a LB in the NFL (probably a OLB in a 4-3 system).

10. The Predator

The Predator Active Member

At 210? I don't think so

11. ToddtoBarkum

ToddtoBarkum Member

Lupus for Slot Receiver and Engelbert could be our NT.

I'm on board...Sign them all!!!!

12. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Name: Kyle Young
    School: Fresno State
    Position: C/OG
    Height: 6'5"
    Weight: 328 lbs

Strengths: Possesses excellent size. Is tall with good overall bulk and adequate strength. A technically sound player with great awareness. Makes all the line calls and shows a terrific understanding of his offensive scheme and opposing defensive alignments. He has the size to engulf smaller defenders at the point of attack. More of a mauler than anything. Takes good angles, knows his physical limitations and stays within his boundaries. He does a good job of knowing where the blitz is coming from in pass pro. He shows the size and base to anchor versus the bull rush. A bit of a mauler in the running game. Maximizes his physical tools. Is a durable and experienced prospect that has not missed a single offensive play over the past three seasons (2003-'05). Shows outstanding leadership skills, instincts and football intelligence. A hard worker on and off the field.

Weaknesses: Lack of athleticism will limit him in the NFL. Does not show great initial quickness out of his stance. Will play too erect at times and will look stiff when attempting to shuffle laterally in pass pro. Does not possess quick feet and will get in some trouble when forced to adjust to the double move. Lacks explosive upper body strength. He's big and thick, but lacks body definition. There are also concerns regarding his mental capacity and maturity after he missed the final four games of his senior season due to academic issues.

Overall: Young was redshirted in 2002. In 2003, he played in and started all 14 games for the Bulldogs. Young cracked a rib against Nevada (11/8) but finished the game. He again started all of Fresno State's games (12) during the 2004 season as a member of the nation's fifth ranked scoring offense (40.2 points per game). Young started every game (13) for the third straight season in 2005, giving him 39 consecutive career starts prior to his senior season. Young was also named to the All-WAC First Team in 2005. Young started eight games as a senior in 2006, missing the final four games due to academic problems.

Young lacks ideal mobility and he is not an overly explosive blocker. In fact, he is a bit of an overrated prospect that won't be able to overcome his physical limitations in the NFL nearly as much as he does at the collegiate level. Nonetheless, he is a late-round prospect with great size, experience, toughness and durability. He struggled in the classroom but his "football intelligence" is proven to be above average. Young may wind up becoming a better guard than center in the NFL.

News: East-West Shrine, "NFL Day" Practice: Another interior lineman who helped himself this week was Fresno State's Kyle Young. Among the most dominant linemen in the WAC over his four year career with the Bulldogs, Young was suspended from the team due to academics and was surprisingly not invited to the Combine. Young, listed at 6-5, 330 pounds is massive -- perhaps even too massive to remain at center -- and was among the most imposing opponents for defensive linemen. He could be beaten with quickness, but if he got his hands on the defender, he typically won the battle and even pancaked a defender, an extreme rarity in these drills.

13. floridajet

floridajet Member