Grade the Jets' first day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MobiusOne28, Apr 28, 2007.

?

What grade do you give?

1. A

59 vote(s)
    23.4%
  2. B

145 vote(s)
    57.5%
  3. C

38 vote(s)
    15.1%
  4. D

10 vote(s)
    4.0%
  5. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

I give them a B overall. Picks wise:

14. Darrelle Revis CB Pitt: Grade B+

A very even trade if not a bit tipped in our scales, we got the best guy at a position of need at a pick where he presented good value. He should be able to step in on day 1 and immediately help out secondary. We also jumped to the right spot for him, considering the Steelers were most likely ready to take him at 15. I'm a little thrown off that we didn't grab a pass rusher later in the draft but we did grab.....

47. David Harris ILB Michigan: Grade: B-

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the pick. Harris is a perfect fit for this defense, a prototypical 3-4 ILB and a major run stuffer in the middle. Not an immediate upgrade over Barton, but he has the potential to be Vilma plus some size and minus some speed. Great at reading cuts, fakes, etc. A very smart player with top intangibles. In all honesty, my only problem is that we gave up a king's ransom for this pick. It lessens the blow that our late round 2 pick didn't have many players that I wanted left there, but our third rounder would've still had very good value. I'll reserve judgement overall until I see what they do with Barton, McCairens, and Barrett since there's still a lot of value left on the boards at the lines going into the second day.

So overall, in my opinion it's been solid in that these two guys look like they'll be able to step in on day one and make an impact and that our late second rounders would have lacked value with how the draft panned out. However, we missed out in the third and I'd like to see up get at least one fourth tonight/tomorrow morning.

#1 MobiusOne28, Apr 28, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  2. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Gotta be a B. We got two players that should be starters at some point in the 2007 season. That would be worth of an A, except the fact that we lost so many picks acquiring these two forces us down a letter grade....

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I put D because that is the entire draft.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

So far:

14. Darrelle Revis CB Pitt: B+
    47. David Harris ILB Mich: B
    3rd Round: F

Average is 2.22 or C/C+ so far.

Obviously tomorrow the grade will go down as more F's come in.

5. dBLitzer28

dBLitzer28 Active Member

Revis Pick - A-
    Harris Pick - C+

Overall - B or B-

6. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

I'd say a C. Revis and Harris are very good picks, but we gave up way too much, pretty much our entire draft.

7. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

I agree. I'm happy with the picks, just felt like we gave up a little more than I would have liked.

8. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

I give it a C also. Like RobA said, I really like thoe two players we got, and I love that we got two impact players, both of whom I think are great prospects, but we gave up way too much! I would give it a C/C+, because even though I like the players, we are a team that needed depth, and we didn't get that today.

9. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Love the players too much....

Harris puts someone out of a job and is a physical run-stopper.

I think we have a plan to acquire more picks. (Trading McCareins, Barrett and/or Barton)

10. AnyGivenSunday

AnyGivenSunday Active Member

Wow, tough crowd. While its true we lost some picks, I'm still going to give this draft an B. I absolutely love what they did here, and if they somehow manage to get a rd4 pick and get Beekman/Ramirez/Free/Patrick, I'll give the entire draft an A. Revis has the potential to be a shut-down corner, which not only helps the pass game, but helps the run game as well, since it allows them to play eight in the box and not have to worry about giving safety help over the top.

I also love the Harris pick as well. He will immediately improve the run D, and will help Vilma immensely. Every good 3-4 ILB had that one big, run stopping ILB next to him, and Harris will be that to Vilma.

11. JetInAbsentia

JetInAbsentia New Member

Have to cap the grading a little low due to the magical disappearing draft picks, but it appears the sentiment in the room deeply devalued Rounds 3-5. They're in the room, I'm not.

That said, Darrelle Revis is an unmitigated success, and David Harris is going to be huge. B+.

12. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

If the Jets come up with a DT of some stoutness, I'll give it a B based on the positive reviews I'm reading on Revis and Harris. If not, I give the entire off-season an INCOMPLETE.

The Jets lost to the Pats in the playoffs because they could not stop the run, specifically, Corey Dillon, a guy the Pats deemed so valuable, that they booted him off the team.

If the Jets don't get a DT, and Mr. Harris is not enough of a deterrent to stop the Pats run game on opening day, what will YOU give the draft?

13. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

I'm ok with the actual picks, but we gave up a ton to move up and get these guys. 2nd and 3rd rounders are very valuable.

14. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Revis and Harris are both run stoppers at their positions... That's a damn good start.

15. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

You have to include Jones as a draft day pick which makes it an A on paper but with a better than average chance of a complete miss because we only got 2 picks form the 4 we had.

16. CMartinJET

CMartinJET New Member

A The best corner in the draft at the price of a 2 and a 5. Plus a Late first round talent that just gave you a great linebacker of the future. Solid A.

17. Mavericknyc1980

Mavericknyc1980 Active Member

GUYS THE DRAFT Was weak. Teams were trading out of the draft.

18. jetfan51

jetfan51 New Member

give it a C, gave up little too much for revis and would have preferred trading up for weddle

19. NYJetsMetsCTHuskies

NYJetsMetsCTHuskies Active Member

Revis is ranked top CB by most and Harris is ranked top 2 or 3 in ILB by most. So I would have to give the Jets a A-.

A lot of people had Harris in the 1st round. These are Mangini type players who will be All Pros if well coached, which they will be.

I don't really care that we didn't have those extra picks, as long as the Jets got the players they wanted. It was a late 2nd anyways, maybe Mangini didn't see anyone at those picks.

20. JMillertime34

JMillertime34 New Member

u guys forget...Harris is a 4.5 guy...he can blitz, he can hit, he has hands, he can stuff the run and him and Vilma will be nasty...honestly I would have been mad if they didnt trade up from 63