Who Stops the Run???

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joe Willie White Shoes, Apr 28, 2007.

1. jets1960

jets1960 New Member

I'm OK with the Revis pick,,, round 2, an ILB? I'm sure this coaching staff knows more than I do, We're gonna miss Blaylock ,,,, and all the picks we gave away.

I hope I'm wrong

2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

We needed to go defense...our defense was average at best last year...

if our defense can play like our offense did last year...we will be a playoff team...

3. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I guess Pouha is making tremendous progress because if he isn't we are going with undersized mismatched Robertson at NT again.

4. YoungJet

YoungJet Member

Pouha was playing well in the preseason and getting a lot of praise from the coaching staff. As for Robertson being a mismatch, he really started to play well as the season progressed. Don't forget, it takes even ideal 3-4 NT prospects a couple of years to learn the spot. Robertson will be better this year. We may also take a shot on Walter Thomas (6'5" 370) in thee 6th as a developmental prospect. Plus we have a ton of guys on the roster already competing a various positions. As it stands, without rookies, rookie free agents, and post draft free agent signings, we already have 70 on the roster. I think the staff is going for players they feel they have to have this year, rather than developmental/depth players, as we have decent depth at alot of positions.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

At what positions do we have decent depth?

The only ones that come to mind for me are CB and LB, which are the two picks we made today.

I see us as thin virtually everywhere else on the roster.

6. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

RB is decent... I'm more concerned about the O-line. Old/mediocre players outside of Ferg and Mangold.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

RB is not decent. And injury to either Jones or Washington leaves us short.

8. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Now that I think of it, what ever happened to rashad moore? He always seemed to do well whenever he was in.

9. YoungJet

YoungJet Member

Most teams are not 3 deep at running back with starting quality, so that is ridiculous. As for depth, We are good at RB, DE, ILB, CB, and S. I dont think we have great depth at, but are ok at QB and LT and WR if McCariens stays.

#29 YoungJet, Apr 28, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  10. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Hopefully Revis will Butt Heads.

I sure do hope we do something at NT, somehow, someway.

I am happy with our picks; these guys should be able to come in and really help the D. We still need that plug in the middle though.

11. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

maybe we took the highest rated CB on our draft board because of how Brady picked out CB's APART in the playoff game with both Dyson and Barrett trying to play hurt? Where do people come up with this stuff? We DIDN'T need a CB!?! That was far and away the biggest need on the entire roster. Why was Revis over Hall on the Jets draft board? Because in Mangini's sytem, you need CB's who can tackle... come up and make tackles, but can also play tight when teams go to a three step drop the way NE did last year in the playoff game.

CB's like that are VERY hard to find... and Revis fits the bill. That was an AWSOME trade up and pick.

Harris should help as an ILB up the middle... and DRob and Pouha will be fine at NT. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that the right side of the O line can't be fixed in this draft now.

12. Kris 15

Well yeah, but how often can you lose a RB and not miss a step? You typically only carry 3 and the third one is usually a borderline player, or else he'd be another team's 1 or 2. You can only have so much depth and if you have 2 RBs you can rely on, that's good depth.

13. Sigh..

Do we really need to make it clear that D rob was NOT the problem w/ our run D last year AGAIN??

14. luvdemjets1998

luvdemjets1998 New Member

i guess u do

15. Kris 15

In any case, what DT were we drafting today? Only 3 have been selected after us. Harrell, Branch and McBride. Are these guys worth crying over? Branch is good, but was he really the answer? We did have other needs but you can only take 1 player with each pick.

16. It's quite simple.

Watch the tape.

Everyone has it hammered into their head by the media and superifcial notions that D rob is too small to play NT and that any faults in a 3-4 run defense is immediately the NT'S fault.

Early on in the year D rob DID look like a bad fit and was a big part of the problem on Run D. But as the season went on he gained confidence, developed better technique, and after a AFC defensive player of the week honor against our biggest and fiercest rival, he was arguably the best player in the front 7.

He didn't get pushed back, he collapsed the pocket, he maintained his gap and he fought off blocks to make plays. I dunno bout you guys, but I'm not sure what more you can ask of an NT.

Watch the tape. D rob is NOT the problem.

17. Kris 15

I agree with Kurt. If anything, von Oelhoffen and Ellis had way more suspect seasons than Robertson. Ellis is a guy who always seems to escape criticism, but he was average last year.

18. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

I really, really want the jets to trade up into the third round asap and take soliai, they can still get him.

19. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

Ellis had a very down year V.O. was invisable... so we signed Coleman, a 3-4 end, Pouha comes back after missing last year to team up w/ D-Rob, Ellis is still there, we signed some guys for competion in Wadsworth and Haynes, we drafted the CB we sorely needed, we picked up the inside linebacker to fit the 3-4 which allows a couple of things to happen... you can play him inside with Vilma, move Vilma outisde and Hobson or Barton inside, and gives us depth at LB and flexability to play both the 3-4 and 4-3. We are in better shape than people want to think, because we didn't sign or draft the flashy guy that the beat writers have you conviced we need...

20. dBLitzer28

dBLitzer28 Active Member

Amen to that. Ill be happy if we get him even if we wont have a pick tomorrow