Who Stops the Run???

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joe Willie White Shoes, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I think all this excitement about Revis is premature when you realize that the Jets had no trouble defending the pass last year. In fact, they didn't have to because teams ran the ball down the Jets' throats. So now the Jets have Vilma and Barton inside and a big hole still in the middle. Revis won't have to cover anyone. He'll be too busy tackling running backs 8 yards downfield.

The Jets will never take it to the next level until they address their inability to stop the run with a big body that fits the 3-4. I, for one, am disappointed right now and would have preferred keeping the extra picks to address the DL and OL.

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

well we will find out wont we, 1st round is just ending.. relax

3. ANJI

ANJI New Member

We can put nine in the box now.............just a thought.

4. Joe Willie White Shoes

I would have preferred standing pat and taking Branch or Spencer or Grubbs or Blaylock. I've seen NE use WRs at DB and be successful becuase of their front 7. The Jets front seven is questionable because their front 3 is the team's major weakness, notwithstanding the free agent signings.

5. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Hang in there man, CB was a big need and we got the best one available. IMO, our biggest need is DT to stop the run, and we can get a HUGE guy later in Paul Soliai, hang tight.

6. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

JWWS, Revis is fantastic at recognising and stopping the run as well, it's one of his bigger strengths. He's really the only 1st round CB who's a force against the run; I'm sure that factored into the FO's decision to trade up for him.

7. coloradojet

coloradojet Active Member

8. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Hopefully Alan Branch keeps falling.

9. The problem w/ stopping the run was one of 3 things throughout the season.

1. We happend to face alot of quality rushing teams

2. Our personell was adjusting from the switch from the 4-3 to 3-4...name;ly guys like D rob, Ellis and Vilma who improved significantly as the year went on

3. Kimo was an absolute liability at Re and teams constantly ran off tackle to the right in which they were pretty much guaranteed at least 4 yards a carry.

What has been done to improve things?

1. As stated above, guys like D rob and Vilma have began to better grasp the scheme and now have a full offseason to better prepare

2. We added 2 guys up front who should help in Coleman, and former 1st rounder Michael Haynes

I agree w/ you about needing to stop the run better..I believe the 2 factors above will indeed help the situation. Will it be enough? i'm not so sure, but we have a few more picks in this draft as well as TC to try and improve upon the situation.

Revis is a player who offers great value, upside, fits in our system and fills 2 huge needs in coverage as well as punt returns.

It's hard to argue when a guy fits in terms of value, offers upside and fills 2 major needs.

10. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Yeah, they put a WR at CB while having a pro bowler at the other CB position. That makes a bit of a difference. I do think the front 7 needs to be addressed but the CB position was just as big a need IMO.

11. And unfortunatey, our FO believed the value wasn't there at other need spots in round 1. By all accounts Revis fills 2 major needs, is a legit # 1 pick w/ a ton of upside, and Mangini is pretty high on his character/smarts.

12. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Possibilities-
    Paul Soliai
    Keith Jackson, Jr.
    Kelly Talavou

13. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

We have two top Dbs now. I'm sure the FO will make a viable choice for help at DT and the OL. Landing a true NT will make all the difference in returning Vilma to top form.

14. Joe Willie White Shoes

No CB ever freed up an inside LB to make tackles or shored up a porous run defense.

15. smelly_joe

smelly_joe New Member

Who Stops the Run???

Paul Soliai Stops the Run,
    I'm telling you i'm sold on this guy
    I'm in Ireland so going to bed after round 2, if i wake up and soliai aint a jet i'm gonna be pissed off

16. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Please hold your horses. The Jets should be drafting a d-lineman today or tomorrow. They may also draft an inside linebacker, hopefully H.B. Blades.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt but I think what the Revis pick did for me was to highlight the fact that we're in another rebuilding season this year. Hopefully it will be as successful as last season.

18. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

19. plinko

plinko Absolute Ruler

But having good corners allow you to blitz and be more aggressive on defense in general.

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

....and if the Jets traded up for the top NT you'd have say the same damn thing, only in reverse. Need to fix both the run and pass d. Today, it was the pass d.