espn mock draft....jets pick next....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KOWIE, Apr 26, 2007.

1. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

Please god, do not draft Olsen...

2. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

3. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

the Jets gave up on him as an offensive weapon awhile ago if you ask me, why would try to trade for Jolley if they didn't. and why wasn't he able to produce more in an offense that throws a lot of short passes with a OC that loves to utilize the TE in the passing game

4. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Oh cut it out with that nonsense.

5. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Why is it nonsense? He's a competent poster who sees that this team has more pressing needs, like a right side of the O Line which is sorely lacking, a starting CB and OLB, possibly DE and DT to boot.

There is a marked dropoff in talent on the OG and CB side after you look past round 1- why in god's name would you ignore such gaping holes, at the cost of acquiring a one-dimensional TE?

TE is a luxary pick for the Jets, and I'm happy that those of you pushing for him are NOT the GM of our fine organization. Here's to not picking Olsen on Saturday.

6. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

its nonsense because none of the anti-olsen posters have given any real reasoning against drafting except the fact that Jets have a bad history of drafting TEs in round 1 and because Baker is a "decent" TE

7. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

What about the scouting reports that say he can't block for sh..t? If I'm going to invest money and my only first round pick in a TE, I want for him to offer me a little more in the way of overall play.

Our runs to the right will look great when we have a TE who can't block (Olsen) next to a right side of the line not known for their stellar blocking abilities.

It's anything BUT nonsense. I am not even considering what has happened in the past, as it was prior regimes. Rather, what I'm considering are our present needs and the players best suited to bring this team to the next level, and Olsen isn't one of them...

8. #28Martin

It's nonsense. All alot of you want to do is over criticize a pick. Olsen at 25 is a steal,,, competent poster or not.

You seem very interested in my opinion.

9. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

what are you getting that hes a "shitty" blocker?

nfldraftcountdown.com
    scout.com
    the fact that he has room for improvement in his blocking is the only knock you will see against him.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I always assumed that the Jolley deal was because Bradway was desperate to justify the huge Chad contract and so he went out to get another receiving option for Chad at any cost. The fact that Jolley was not a particularly good receiver was kind of incidental, he was the best "available" receiving tight end so Bradway traded for him.

Just like Olsen is the best "available" receiving tight end so everybody is talking about his being a first round pick. If there was another guy out there who was clearly a good receiving tight end then Olsen would be sitting in the mid 2nd round range.

The reason that none of the Jets tight ends have been particularly effective parts of the passing offense recently is two fold:

1. It really does take a good arm to throw up the seams a lot without getting intercepted by gambling safeties. An arm that Chad does not have. Vinny had a better arm and the tight ends caught more passes, although Vinny also got picked a lot more than Chad has.

2. The Jets under Parcells, Groh, Edwards and Mangini have taken the very sensible view that protecting the QB is job one for anybody lined up tight in an obvious passing situation. Baxter, Brady, Becht, Baker (yeah it's a lot of B's) have been used often as pass blockers and that's one of the reasons the Jets have had fairly good pass protection over the years when they weren't trying to fill a departed lineman's spot with a wing and a prayer.

The last 10 TE's taken in the bottom half of the first round of the draft:

Marcedes Lewis
    Heath Miller
    Benjamin Watson
    Dallas Clark
    Daniel Graham
    Jerramy Stevens
    Todd Heap
    Anthony Becht
    David LaFleur
    Mark Bruener

That's 2 pro bowl appearances out of the entire group, both by Heap. Of the guys in that group who came out with the rep of being a potential offensive weapon (Lewis, Miller, Watson[ran a 4.44 40 at combine], Clark, Graham, Stevens, Heap, LaFluer) only Heap has caught 50 passes in a season and nobody else has caught even 40 more than once.

#30 Br4d, Apr 26, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  11. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

I'm interested in all opinions, however misguided they may be.

We're not over-analyzing anything. I'm simply reading scouting reports and articles, as to what players offer at each position. I'm not a film whore but those of us who are have said that Olsen isn't even a threat over the middle, that he's afraid to take the hit, ala JMAC.

Listen, come Saturday, one of us will be right, and one of us will be wrong.

Go out and find that nice, fat crow and don't have breakfast the morning of, as you'll be the one eating...

12. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I prefer to trade up to get Jamaal Anderson, Okoye, Branch, Carricker, Revis, or Willis in the teens.........if not, I want Spencer at 25........with that said, if we decide to go offensive weapon at 25 here are my thoughts:

What added dimension does Greg Olsen bring to the table?? If it's a big target for the redzone and to stretch the field, there are MUCH BETTER OVERALL prospects at WR that can do all Olsen can do, and much more......guys like Meachem, Bowe, Rice, and Jarrett......if we go Olsen, and pass on a much better prospect who has a good shot at being an elite #1 WR in the NFL a few years down the line, then I will have some serious doubts about Mangini/Tanny after such a nice run they have put together so far.......A TE vs. an Elite WR prospect can not even compare......it is like taking a guard over a Left Tackle with all upside/ ability being equal......aka not a smart decision

Ask yourself this: If you are Bellichek who do you want to gameplan for: Olsen, Cotchery, and Coles or lets say Dwayne jarrett, Cotch, and Coles.......it is not even a question to me

13. #28Martin

whatever ..................

14. I see where you;'re coming from in terms of trading up. But to be honest, we're looking at alot more value and flexibility where we currectly pick, than the teams who are around 15-20.If anything, i think we should trade down a few picks, and recoup some early day 2 slots.

15. MrDobolina

MrDobolina New Member

I'm trying to not troll, really. I visit the forums almost daily but don't post much...
    I take all the analyst and scout talk with a grain of salt.
    nfldraftcountdown.com has a somewhat negative spin on the guy

Personally I think he has as much potential as most other guys at 25 so I wouldn't be devastated if we get him. He has alot of upside. Besides, I trust the coaches and GMs they know much more than i do.

Let's hope we get lucky and someone slips down to us. stranger things have happened.

16. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

We have more needs that a TE. To me, he is a luxury pick. I'd rather sure up the defense, than waste a 1st rd pick on a TE.

17. King Koopa

I wouldn't mind trading down from 25 depending on who's on the board as well.......I don't want to trade up to the mid-teens now though.......my thughts are if Willis, Okoye, Branch, Jamaal Anderson, Revis, or Carricker make it close enough to where we don't have to offer too much, we should pull the trigger.......Only those 6 prospects though......I bet atleast 1 or 2 of them make it out of the top 13 or so picks, and any of these 6 players are much better than what we can get at 25........Spencer or Harrell at 25 though if we stay

18. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

if you look at the DEs, LBs, and CBs that are being projected to be available in the 2nd round you will see why it makes sense at #25 to take a TE if available

19. As I posted in another thread, regarding olsen...

I'm not a huge fan of taking a TE due to our history, and many question his true upside/skillset. However, his top 15 status on the big board speaks for itself, and our OC comes from a system that featured a similar style player in Antonio Gates, who defenses are still trying to figure out how to stop. That'd be considerable value at # 25, and a guy who would fit well in our offensive philosophy.

20. King Koopa

Baker+Coles+Cotch+ 1st rd wr(Meachem, Bowe, Jarrett, Rice) >>>>>>> Olsen, Coles, Cotch, JMac