Jets sign Wadsworth

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Mar 26, 2007.

1. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

ellis should retire right now. i dont want to see him getting dominated by TEs once again.

and quite frankly i dont really care how old this wadsworth dude is. but he was out of football for about 8 years. is he in great shape? i highly doubt it. he probably lost a lot of "good weight" (muscles) over the years. plus all the knee surgeries...how can you blame me for not thinking that this guy could become a star? i mean even vilma, coles, just terrific athletes were bitching around last season, how tough training camp was etc. so if wadsworth survives training camp...that would be a miracle.

2. jc10

jc10 New Member

I don't know what everybody is getting all up in arms about. The guy had a 95 overall rating in madden '99. JK.

3. But why get all upset and bent out of shape about a guy who is getting paid league minimum, to basically try to come in, create competition and make a difference? The worst thing that happens is he gets cut mid way through TC and doesnt affect our salary cap. The upside is he comes in, and provides quality veteran depth for a cheap price.

I'm just not understanding why you are so upset about this

4. JetsLookingforDWare

Dude, the teams work him out, why would they sign a guy gone for 6 years if he didn't WANT the chance and work his ass off to get it? By all accounts he's in great shape.

You make it seem like the Jets literally signed a guy off the street. This is a former top 3 draft pick who has made his money, and just wants to play again. From everything being said he seems to have stayed in amazing shape and kept working out this whole time.

It's a no-lose situation. The only way we can possibly remember this signing in the future is fondly. Why? Because that means it turned out great for us. We just signed a guy for the minimum if he even makes the team.

5. DaBallhawk

see, im not trying to make this move look bad. youre right. whats the worst thing that could happen? he will get cut. big deal.

i just dont understand how anyone would seriously think that wadsworth has some star potential left. the best thing that could happen is that wadsworth will become a solid situational pass rusher for us.

6. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

you said the odds of wadsworth becoming something we can get excited about are 1-1. 100%, baby!

anyway, like I said, the chances of Wadsworth making the team are small. No risk, little chance of reward. Not worth making a big stink over.

#86 Yisman, Mar 27, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Funny you mentioned Peter Boulware because when the Jets tried out Wadsworth they also tried out Boulware. The fact that they picked him up and not Boulware, who is only 2-3 years removed from being a pretty good starter in the league, has to mean a little something.

8. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

Its funny how some people will argue odds without knowing all the facts. If Wadsworth never had his history of injuries and fulfilled his projected potential, no one would be complaining about his being 32 years old. While the reality of his injury history together with the fact that he's been out of the game for so long certainly make him appear to be a longshot as a viable player, its hard to even say that without really knowing what type of physical shape he's in today. Is he as strong and quick as he once was or are his measurables a fraction of what they once were? Has he spent the last few years out of football on the couch, doing some light gym work or has he built greater strength and conditioning than he ever had before?

Does anyone here have any idea because I sure don't.

To me, Mangini has already established such a high degree of football knowledge, competency and credibility in his short career as a head coach and its pretty laughable to read the words of a know-nothing, never-was conclusively dismiss the coach's moves as an absolute waste of time. Funny that.

Whatever the outcome of the signing, I believe it will have served a worthwhile purpose from the standpoint of the coaching staff, even if that purpose is only to demonstrate to team members the importance of never quitting even when both the experts and the talentless, know-knothing, nobodies have long since quit on you.

I also see no point in pissing on such a low risk transaction regardless of how long the odds are.....

9. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

So, how is he a 4-3 DE? By size standards he could fit a 3-4 too right?

10. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

The same reasons Ellis is well suited to play DE in either a 4-3 or 3-4. A DE in a 4-3 should be quick and have a decent array of pass rushing moves but does not necessarily have to be so big while a 3-4 DE should have some decent size (280+ lbs) and be stout against the run.

11. JetRhodes84

JetRhodes84 New Member

It was a league minimum contract, in no way does it hurt us. It can only help us if he does return to form.

He probally won't even make the team, but who knows what shape he is in. When a guy has been out of the leauge for 7 years, hes probally in great shape. He is only 33, he may be a nice 3rd down pass rusher for the league minimum.

12. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

again, how many times do i have to tell you how to read? when i say he has a chance to become one, that in no way means that i "seriously believe that he will become a star"...

chance (from dictionary.com):

3. a possibility or probability of anything happening

Are you really that stupid or do you just play an idiot on a message board?

13. DaBallhawk

man youre retarded as hell. even a monkey could have a chance to become a hall of fame QB. what the hell is your point? why did you mention it? why dont you mention it EVERYTIME we sign a player? i mean theres ALWAYS a chance that SOMETHING could happen. you said it because you seriously believe that wadsworth has "a 2nd chance to become a star". talk about a stupid person :rolleyes:

14. MikeSLTJ23

alright im done with this argument...i already laid it all out for you...i pretty much force fed you information...and you come back with the same nonsensical bullshit every time...you argue for the sake of arguing b/c you think of yourself as superior to everyone but i can guarantee that most people on this board think of you as a completely illiterate jackass, including myself

you're talking about a star player in college who was run out of football by injuries...he's trying to make a comeback and you're telling me there's no chance of him amounting to anything? okay, im the stupid person, right...your argument has absolutely NO VALIDITY to anything i have said...wadsworth was a star caliber player, and now you're trying to bring in every player we ever pick up and how there's always a chance...we're not talking about them, we're talking about a guy who WAS a star, but you don't know that, because you know NOTHING about wadsworth as you already demonstrated in your many posts in this thread...but that's expected, b/c it also goes right along with your lack of an understanding of football anyway

15. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

chill out with the name calling. This is the only warning I'm giving.

16. MikeSLTJ23

i apologize...just got a little frustrated

17. wesleywalker85

wesleywalker85 New Member

You would suck too.. if you were drafted by Arizona and had a coaching staff that sucked also.

18. Long & Winding Rhode

on Around the Horn they just talked about this. Both Mariotti and Adande liked the deal. They said it was low risk. However, they did bring up that the 2nd overall pick the same year Wadsworth was drafted was Ryan Leaf. Yuck.

#98 Long & Winding Rhode, Mar 27, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  19. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

yea, and Manning was the number 1...only difference is that Leaf wasnt hurt, he just flat out sucked!

20. YOYOYO

YOYOYO Active Member

That article on him is cool but the best is looking back at those drafts and some of the grades that each team was given. Now that its basically 10 years later I think its safe to say who is good and who is not.