PFT's latest mock

Discussion in 'Draft' started by DeathByJets, Mar 24, 2007.

1. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

I didn't see this posted anywhere. Here is the latest from Pro football Talk:

25. New York Jets: Anthony Spencer, defensive end, Purdue
    Strengths:

An excellent athlete with great speed...Playmaker who is very active with a great motor and always around the action...Versatile and has experience dropping into coverage...Natural pass rusher with a knack for getting after the quarterback and making plays in the backfield...Extremely productive...A good technician who plays with solid leverage...Relatively stout against the run for his size...Experienced and battle tested...Good range with a burst to close fast...Very instinctive and smart.

Weaknesses:
    Is undersized and doesn't have either the height or bulk you look for...A 'tweener who might not have a true pro position...Not very explosive and needs to develop a wider array of pass rush moves...Struggles to shed blocks and can be engulfed by massive offensive linemen...Agility and change of direction skills are question marks...Will he be able to handle coverage?...Might have to learn a new position.

Notes:
    Overshadowed by Ray Edwards and Rob Ninkovich, who are both now in the NFL, early in his career but had a phenomenal senior season and really saw his draft stock soar...Could end up being one of the top 3-4 outside linebacker prospects available...Still has some upside and could be a workout warrior...Teams will need to see him in positional drills to determine if he will be able to make the move to linebacker but if he shows well look for there to be a major demand for this guy.

27. New York Jets: Anthony Gonzalez, wide receiver, Ohio State

Strengths:
    Adequate height and bulk...A fantastic route runner who just knows how to get open...Has very good timed speed and quickness...Hands are excellent....Is very smart...An above average blocker who gives a good effort...Excellent intangibles and a hard worker who's dedicated to being the best player he can be...Can also help out as a return man...Still improving, got better every year and has upside.

Weaknesses:
    Only started for one season in college and was never the main focus of defenses attention...Did not make many big plays...May have some trouble beating the jam at the line...Has some trouble with physical corners...Was shut down in the BCS Championship game (along with the rest of the Buckeye offense) when Ted Ginn, Jr. was injured...Doesn't do much after the catch...May never be a true #1 target.

Notes:
    Was overshadowed by his teammate Ginn but some feel he may wind up being a better pro...Was used as more of a possession receiver in college and often times worked out of the slot but his physical tools lead you to believe he could be much more...He reminds me a bit of Kevin Curtis...Probably best suited to be a #2 or #3 wideout at the next level...He'll never be a star but will be a valuable contributor.

31. New York Jets (from Bears): Daymeion Hughes, cornerback, California

Strengths:
    A very good natural athlete...Has pretty good size...Is very instinctive...Playmaker with excellent ball skills...His hips are smooth and fluid...Very productive and came away with a lot of interceptions during his career...Is physical and will support the run...Experienced and a hard worker with good intangibles...A special teams ace.

Weaknesses:
    Does not have great timed speed, quickness or a burst to recover...Will take too many chances...Is susceptible to being fooled and will get burnt...He needs to get stronger...Might be limited in terms of the type of scheme he will be able to play in at the next level...Inconsistent and a liability on vertical routes in deep coverage.

Notes:
    Nickname is "Dante"...Had a big senior campaign and ranked among the nations leaders in interceptions...Would probably fit best in a Cover 2 or zone coverage scheme...Is somewhat overrated and really not as good as his reputation would indicate...Where he's ultimately drafted will depend on how he runs in workouts.

2. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

Hughes looks to similar to Strait for my liking, but I would be happy with the first 2 picks

3. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank New Member

That would be a terrific, terrific, draft. I'd be celebrating.

4. Canadian

Canadian New Member

I would too:drunk:

5. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

We've got plenty of DE's as it is. I really don't see that as a need. What we need is a big NT on the d-line. NT/DT, CB, pass rushing LB, OG are our needs, in that order.

6. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Spencer would be a pass-rushing LB in our defense.

7. GreenMachine

I thought the DE pick was odd too. I think there are more pressing needs.

8. dbatesman

dbatesman New Member

Spencer is too small for DE in the 3-4, he would be converted to OLB, which is a huge need for us.

I do agree about the OL though, I would rather go for Grubbs or Beekman instead of Gonzalez in Round 2.

9. wildthing202

wildthing202 Active Member

???? How'd we get 27 & 31? Bears trade only involved second rounders.

10. BamaZeus

BamaZeus Member

I think that's #27 and #31 of the second round, not overall

11. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

This draft is horrible. Spencer is good, but a reach at pick 25, I would not be happy with the pick at all if that happened. I would not draft a WR with one of our 2nd rounders, especially another 6-0 tall WR. Wideout is somewhat of a need, but not enough to use a 2nd rounder on one. And Hughes is only gonna be a good CB in a Cover 2, he would fail in our offense because he is not fast enough, so he is also a bad pick.

12. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

That draft would be terrible. Some of you, with the celebrating part,,, seems no matter who'd they take, you be celebrating and overrating.

13. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Ah I see. In that case I wouldn't mind the pick. But I'd rather replace the WR pick with a DT/NT. WR is our best position right now, and doesn't need improvement early in the draft.

14. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

I like the Spencer pick, he's looking like the best fit there at #25 not named Blalock. If we do go with him in the first, then a guard will be necessary in Rd 2, and as good as Gonzalez is, he won't do much to compliment what we already have at the spot. Hughes can be a solid corner, a natural athlete, I'd take him at that point without a problem; though I'd prefer a speedy CB like Josh Wilson.

15. Surge40

Surge40 New Member

Stay away from hughes. He's got linebacker speed.