Just a thought (RB related issue)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jfhjr71, Mar 23, 2007.

1. jfhjr71

jfhjr71 New Member

The TEXANS just cut running back Domanick Williams, formerly known as Domanick Davis..He was their rushing leader with 3,195 yards and a horrible O-Line. He spent all of last season on injured reserve with a knee injury, so how much could he really cost us? Nothing wrong with having a serviceable back up to our backs.
    When he was not injured he was definately better that C. Houston..Just throwing it out there..Dont kill me..RB's do take a beating and injuries can cripple us and stranger things have happened in training camp so depth is a good thing.

2. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

I have a quetion, why did he change his name?

3. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I won't kill you, but I will disagree with you.

Dom Davis, when he wasn't getting injured every week, was looking like a rising star.

We already have our #1 and #2 RB's in Thomas and Leon. Cedris Houston is a great #3 back and is a good back up RB.

I would say, yeah lets give Dom Davis a chance, but our backfield already has a enough talent.

4. Warhound7

Warhound7 New Member

So he wouldn't be associated with the Texans when he goes to a different team and gets injured there. :up:

5. PennyandtheJets

No offense to you, but why else would he change it?

He clearly wanted/preferred to be called Domanick Williams.

I don't think there is much more to it.

6. Warhound7

Warhound7 New Member

Could we put a gag-order on people suggesting we should go after Dom Davis?

7. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

Texans back has new name: Domanick Williams
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4438199.html
    Jan. 2, 2007, 2:51AM
    By MEGAN MANFULL
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

When Domanick Davis cleaned out his locker Monday, he had a rare request. He wanted his name plate and number removed also.

The next time the fourth-year running back suits up for the Texans he will be Domanick Williams and wear No. 31. He legally changed his name two months ago to Williams, his mother's maiden name.

"I wasn't really a Davis," he said. "It's my oldest brother's dad's last name. And whatever happened, I ended up with Davis. Now that I have little kids of my own — a little boy and a little girl, Spike (Domanick Jr.) and Liana, I have to change my name to what it really is, and that's Williams."

Williams is also switching his number from 37 to 31, the same number he wore at Breaux Bridge (La.) High and at LSU.

"That was Domanick Davis, this is Domanick Williams you're looking at now," he said. "Domanick Davis did all right. But it's time for Mr. Williams."

Few in the Texans organization were aware that Williams had changed his last name. Cornerback Dunta Robinson said he hopes the changes continue.

"He changed his hair, his clothes and his name," Robinson said. "I hope he changes his knee too."

Davis, who rushed for 3,195 yards in his first three seasons, was on the Physically Unable to Perform list this season with a knee injury. He is spending the offseason in Houston with hopes of being healthy enough to play next season.

8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

obviously he preferred to be called Williams, but just as obvioulsy the question asked wanted to know why he prefered to be called Williams, which you failed to answer, because, again, obviously, it wasn't simply an arbitrary decision based on nothing. thanks you PF4JETS for actually answering the question.

there apparently was much more to it than simply he wanted to. like most decisions rational human beings make, there apparently was a reason for it, not simply a preference based on nothing.

#8 JetBlue, Mar 23, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  9. PennyandtheJets

Haha, I apologize that I didn't realize that an article existed specifically answering this question.

10. Jetallica

Jetallica New Member

I think we have more pressing issues than the running back situation. If we had not picked up TJones than maybe but not now.

11. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Dude, wtf...there is no such thing as too much talent! Anything that makes your team better is a good thing...sounds like something mangini would say.
    I also like the pre-injury Dom Davis...he is talented as hell and since he wouldn't be taking a full pounding, he might last thru the season. If we could get him cheap, it would be a steal...and bye-bye Deadrick.

12. PennyandtheJets

When I said we already have enough talent at RB, I was saying that there isnt any room for another RB.

We can't carry 4 RB's on the 53 man roster...we don't need DD

13. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

14. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

Wow, you are snotty as hell. Like that other guy said, obviously he wanted to change it, but I wanted to know WHY he wanted to change it.

15. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

Its really a shame this guy got injured, he looked like he had the goods in his first year or two.

If his injury is such that he can come back and be the same, teams will be willing to pay him. But from everything ive seen, i get the feeling that his knee problems were fairly serious.

16. dBLitzer28

dBLitzer28 Active Member

Umm he married Mario Williams?

As for the topic, if the price is right, i dont see why not. He can compete with Houston for the 3rd spot and if he sucks, then we can just release him before the season

17. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Here is a guy I would like us to spend a 7th round pick on.

Recent review on his pro day:

RB Jackie Battle, Houston (6-2, 235 pounds) showed off his great size/speed ration, running his 40s in 4.42 and 4.43. He also had a 41-inch vertical jump, 10-foot-11 long jump, 4.11 short shuttle, 6.51 three-cone drill and 19 bench presses.

http://www.gbnreport.com/

Those are incredible stats for a guy his size. He would have been lucky to be in the top 500 ranking until this workout. Now he will most likely be in everyones top 300.

18. ANJI

ANJI New Member

Man, he went from the reason the Texans gave for not needing Bush to being cut????? LOL

If he Comes to New York, it will be for the Giants.

19. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

I don't think we have rooom for four RBs, let alone two FBs, on our roster.

20. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

This may come as a shock to some of you, but we traded for a guy named Thomas Jones who had a pretty good resume coming from Chicago. How many RB's do we want to keep on the roster? :)