Schlegel stays on the move

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by twinjetfan, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twinjetfan

twinjetfan New Member

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show_permalink/schlegel-stays-on-the-move

Anthony Schlegel, who once set two world dead-lift records in the 19 and under 220-240 pound weight division with lifts of 662 pounds and 672 pounds, says his infant son Hunter is well on his way to becoming a heavyweight.

“He is awesome. He is seven and a half months, and he already wears clothing for an 18-month-old,” said Schlegel in an exclusive interview with newyorkjets.com. “He is huge; he is like 25 pounds. He is not fat – just long and big. He is so cool man. We have such a great time. He just smiles all the time. It’s so awesome.”

After Schlegel completed his first season in the National Football League, the linebacker returned to Texas and is enjoying his time with his wife, Stephanie, and Hunter.

“We are gone so much during the season, so I am just milking it up being with them. I wake up and play with my child. I go to the gym and then we play. He’ll take a nap and I’ll sleep. We just have a good time. I am so lucky.”

An avid outdoorsman, Schlegel remains on the hunt. Over the past couple of months, he has pursued hogs, pheasants, ducks and deer.

“I went out and found a place where they have pheasants. It’s basically a big, couple hundred acre field, and they put the birds out there for you,” he said. “I take my dog, Butkus, and my friend Brian Dobson – he is the guy I train with down there. We got a bunch of pheasants.”

Schlegel also traveled to Louisiana and went out to the fields with former teammate Patrick Ramsey.

“I went duck hunting with Patrick and we put out decoys,” Schlegel said. “Patrick’s dog, Gus, did really well and I brought Butkus for the first time. The birds just come in and you shoot them. You use geese calls in duck hunting, which I have never done before so that was a blessing.”

A spiritual man, Schlegel and Stephanie visited Newport Beach, California for a memorable seminar with fellow athletes.

“We just went to PAO – Pro Athletes Outreach - which is awesome,” he said. “I came home and had two speaking engagements, talking about my faith and sharing my faith with people. I spoke to about 200 college kids and then I spoke to about 450 pastors up in Ohio, so that was pretty cool.”

Schlegel, a 6’1”, 251-pound Ohio State product, is hoping to make a lasting impact on others. The PAO message is straightforward.

“The main message is a multi-generational legacy, passing down the word of God and Christ to our children and our children’s children,” he said. “And the platform we have as professional athletes to be able to impact people is so powerful. Some guys couldn’t go because of their schedules, but we were lucky to go down there and do it.”

The ever-busy Schlegels also recently purchased a home in Mansfield, Texas. Their new dwelling won’t have endless miles of acreage for Anthony’s pastimes.

“It wouldn’t be feasible for me to buy a place that had a lot of land because I would have to pay somebody to take care of it,” he said. “When you have lots of land, it requires lots of work. I got a place that I can take care of and her parents are here, so if something happens to the house or needs to be done, they can just go do it.”

Last April, Schlegel was the 76th overall selection in the NFL Draft. He played in four games his rookie season and enjoyed the camaraderie he shared with the ’06 class.

“We were blessed in New York to have the rookies we had because they are all outstanding people,” he said. “New York Jets fans should be happy with the type of guys Coach Mangini brought in here because all of them are outstanding men.”

As he gets ready for his second professional season, Schlegel is sticking to a familiar physical routine.

“I have been working out at this gym since I was in seventh grade,” he said. “Big-time bodybuilders like Ron Coleman, Mr. Olympia, and a bunch of other pros like Branch Warren all work out there at different times. I always work out in the morning.”

Needless to say, Schlegel doesn’t rest too often. But when he does, big Hunter is by his side.

I find his son's name to be pretty funny as well as his dogs name.

#1 twinjetfan, Mar 15, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  2. biggundewayne63

biggundewayne63 Active Member

i dont give a fuck he sucked. one of the worst jet draft picks ever.

3. Rhodes_25

Rhodes_25 New Member

well there was your avatar......

4. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Maybe he should spend less time duck hunting with Patrick Ramsey and more time elevating his game, becoming a better football player.

5. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

he made one on me guy sucks... We passed on Jean Giles(who would be a great fit for us right now a mauler at guard.) for this bum who claim to fame is hunting.

6. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Seriously....he seems to happy and content. It's great that the guy has a good life out of football, but he needs to get his head in the game...or leave it.

7. Hot Rod

Hot Rod Member

And it took Robertson 4 seasons to finally play good football!!! And he was the fourth pick overall. Talk about bad draft picks!! Give the guy a chance.

#7 Hot Rod, Mar 15, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  8. Joe W. Namath

Joe W. Namath New Member

Schlegel sucks.

9. Joe W. Namath

Joe W. Namath New Member

He should be working on his speed and agility so he isnt such a stiff bum out there.
    Geez Schlegel you suck!

10. Jetscrazy87

Jetscrazy87 Member

yea i wont lie, i think he needs some more development time before he gets good, but i also agree with everyone else when they say he needs to get his shit together and start focusing on whats more important and thats the game.

11. Borgata

Borgata Active Member

Jeez guys are being abit harsh, but why where there no stories about him doing his extreme boar hunting with his knife?

12. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

the game is more important? i hope youre just kidding...

13. biggundewayne63

dewayne started his first year. schelgel was inactive for most games. get with the program buddy. people on this board have love affairs with guys for the dumbest reasons (pouha for being a fat hawiaian that saved someone in a fire, brian leonard cause hes white and went to rutgers, schelgel cause he hunts) lets start going by talent for now on.

14. Ambrose

Ambrose New Member

Questions:

Did you expect Schlegel to start his first yearyear? Did you really expect them to start him in a new system, his first year as a pro when he was making league minimum, ahead of Barton who was making 2.5 million?

Why do you think the Jets are looking to move Barton?

The guy says he is sticking to his workout routine at his hometown gym.

Writing a guy off before he's had a chance to play is moronic.

Third round rookie LBs rarely contribute, baring injury, in their first year. Just because everyone called him a reach doesnt mean he sucks if he didnt come out and play like a first rounder.

The guy is going to start this coming season. What are you going to bitch about then?

15. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

First of all, Dewayne was the 4th overall pick and we traded up to get him, so it would have been very surprising if he didn't start immediately.

Second of all, Schlegal was a 3rd round pick and so what if he didn't play as a rookie? How many great players didn't play in their rookie season? I'm not saying he's a great player, but you can't call him a bust. That's ridiculous.

And that's not why people like Pouha and Brian Leonard.. Don't start with that stuff, you'll end up getting banned.

16. KSJets

KSJets New Member

Not only that, but which one of our LB's was going to sit? Seriously, who was he going to start over? Barton or Vilma?

Football is a great game, but that's all it is. Saying someone spending time with his young son shouldn't be his priority is just plain dumb.

17. since83

since83 Member

Son, I'll agree with some things. But to say that Brian Leonard get props cause he's white and went to Rutgers is bananas. Now I may be a little biased being a Rutgers Grad, but the kid can straight out ball. And I'd love to see him in green and white.

18. biggundewayne63

omg an nfl player worked out in the offseason. stop the presses. if he starts my opinion of jet football just hit the shits.

19. biggundewayne63

nothing ive posted even comes close to warrant getting banned. biggundewayne is gonna be just fine.

20. biggundewayne63

there is nothing wrong with liking a player because he is white im just stateing a fact. shit id love to see a white guy run for a g. is that any different from a african american being happy that both coaches in the super bowl were black? no.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.