WIll Ferguson ever become elite?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Blitz4Life, Mar 8, 2007.

1. KSJets

KSJets New Member

Could be? :wink:

2. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Brick held his own just fine this year. I have no concerns about him whatsoever.

3. JetsLookingforDWare

D'Brick needs to get bigger, thats obvious.

But how could a season in which he faced Jason Taylor (twice), Dwight Freeney, Richard Seymour (twice, owned the second time), Burgess, and Schobel and more than held his own as a ROOKIE LT be considered a dissapointment? The only guy who truly, like absolutely dominated him was Schobel.

He's the guy I want to see the most in training camp. Obviously we'll have to see how he progresses during the season size-wise, but if he comes in looking bigger this year it'll boost my hopes for him way up.

4. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Sorry Kurt, to me "elite" means a LT that can run block very well and can pass block extremely well. Maybe semantics, but "elite" is a word I don't throw around. Ogden was elite. Pace was too. Walter Jones is borderline elite. I don't know if Ferguson will ever be as good as Jones... I hope so, but have my doubts. I also think any O lineman taken in the top five should be very close to that elite status.... and we'll see how D'Brick develops.

The ten sacks he gave up last year was more than I expected, even in a rookie year. Until he can handle the bull rush, he won't sniff a pro bowl. He has a long ways to go to live up to being a #4 in my opinion.

5. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

He did fine last year he just has to progress. OL players usually become great in their late 20's. This kid is a pup and has a lot to learn. He also will get bigger and stronger in time. I'm not sure he was worth the 4 but he is the least of our problems.

6. I see where you're coming from. I guess Id prefer to use the word "Rare talent" w/ D brick than so elite. Elite OT's are Extremely hard to come by in toda's game. Look at Ogden and his battles against Freeney, or some of Jones straight ahead run blocking struggles. The fact is, the NFL game is changing, and LT's at this stage are beginning to struggle more and more b/c pass rushers are just getting bigger, faster and more athletic.

Most GM's will tell you, theyd much rather have a LT who can stay w/ the Freeney's and Seymour's of the league, than a guy who his a great run blocker. The days of having both at that spot look be over, as to stick w/ these ultra fast pass rusher, you hafta have lightning quick feet, and lets face it, the 330 lb maulers just will never have that.

So here we have a guy like D Brick, who has the extremely quick feet and long arms to keep up w/ those ultra fast guys. In fact for half the year, he was a borderline great pass protector, but as the year went on, his techinque got sloppy, he lost some weight ,and appeared fatigued(aka the rookie wall).Thats when he began to struggle.

Once he adds some more upper body strength, learns better technique against the inside moves(that will def. come w/ time) and knows what conditionining is needed for a 16 game season, he's gonna be one helluva pass protector aka a "Rare talent". I have no doubt in my mind.

7. Green_Monster

Green_Monster New Member

Nah bro, D-brick will be a good OL guy for us and future pro-bowler just give the guy some time!