WIll Ferguson ever become elite?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Blitz4Life, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Blitz4Life

Blitz4Life Active Member

he wsa drafted for this reason and this reason alone...to lockdown chads blind-side. u guys think he'lll continue to struggle even in his 2nd year or will his first year just be a fluke?

2. Bricket-head

Bricket-head Active Member

His 1st year in the pros in a difficult position against some of the most talented athletes in the NFL. I'm willing to give the guy a season or two before I start questioning the pick.

3. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Unless they play flat out BAD, I think it's unfair to say a rookie LT "struggled". He played very well at the beginning of the season, but hit the rookie wall as his weight dropped significantly. His brain and his moves are there, he just needs to work on keeping his muscle mass up for the entire season. If he can do that, and improve a bit in the running game, he could certainly be elite someday.

4. 1969jets

1969jets Banned

What are you talking about? He didn't struggle in his first year. Do you realize how few left tackles start in their rookie year. It's probably the toughest position to play except for qb. He did an amazing job all things considered. Obviously, there is a high probablity that he'll improve on that performance in his second year. He has all the tools required to get the job done and with proper training will bulk up and become even more productive.

5. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

He'll get better as time goes on. He has a great work ethic and he just needs to bulk up more for next season. If he does that he'll be an all-pro LT along with Nick Mangold who will be an all-pro Center. He came in and did a great job this year considering he's a rookie playing LT in the NFL. It's a very difficult position to master. Especially for a rookie.

6. Blitz4Life

Blitz4Life Active Member

ok i agree but since he was picked fourth and everyone said how much of a phsycial "freak" he was with measurements nad everything. i expected him to not let up that many sacks on chad. i believe it was like 12 or 13...

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Who knows? Not I.

He has a much better chance as a legitimate 4 pick confirmed by the NFL combine as opposed to being a late 1st/early 2nd guy promoted to 4 by the combine like D-Rob was.

8. Bill

Bill New Member

Come back to me in two years with this question, and we'll have our answer.

The man was drafted less than a year ago for crying out loud...

9. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

Here are the four pass rushers in the division from the right side:

Richard Seymour
    Jason Taylor
    Aaron Schobel

These are three of the best pass rushers in the league and he was a rookie and help up well. Give him a few season to become elite.

10. Bricket-head

Brick is a pretty big dude, but I don't think people labeled him a physical freak. His arm-span was tremendous but I believe he was always a bit svelte for his position. I'm pretty sure I remember readin in college he was downing a ton of those Ensure protein shakes in order to gain some mass.

His dedication and work ethic are top notch.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The thing that people were talking about was his frame, quickness and speed. He looked like Jevon Kearse's big brother and maybe an ideal guy to shut down the light, speedy edge rushers that have been coming into vogue at right end the last half decade or so.

12. Bricket-head

He definately has the frame to add some more bulk and that's what I'm hoping happens in his off season training. I think he could add maybe 15-20 more pounds of mass without hindering his speed or technique.

13. 1969jets

1969jets Banned

The Jets had 35 sacks last year while the opponents had 34. This is one statistical category that the Jets had an advantage in. Thus, sacks were not a problem last year. Other than the Buffalo game where Brick gave up 3 sacks, 2 very late in the game, he played very steady. His upside is significant. This is one of the last areas of concern on the Jets.

14. JoeJet

JoeJet Banned

he just played the second most difficult position (after qb) in the nfl. give him an off-season where he bulks up 15-20 lbs and with one year experience he will probably be the most dominant left tackle in the nfl.

15. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

There is no question that he can add the 15-20lbs. The question is, can he keep it on... I'm trying to keep it off...

16. Joe W. Namath

Joe W. Namath New Member

At this point, he plays better against speed rusher(Freeny Taylor) than bull rusher(Schobel). Onmce he puts on a few more pounds and gets stronger, he will shut down all types of pass rushers.

Dbrick played awesome last year and will continue to play well.

Oh yeah, he needs to work on his run blocking as well.

17. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I didn't think he played bad this year. I thought he was above average, he just nees to bulk up to improve strength/run blocking. Either way, he's played one season... give him a break.

18. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

He did great. No problems. He's not J Ogden, obviously, but he's going to be just fine.

Will the stock market go up tomorrow? Some people would say that you could predict it, but I think you can't really. So, in closing, who knows if he'll become elite as the post suggests... he may, he may not. It's all hyperbole and impossible to say. Ultimately as a result of the question posed, I think that this is a dumb thread.

19. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

If he keeps thinkin the way he is right now, he never will......read the "Catching up" article on the Jets site.

I bought his damn jersey so he sure as hell better become elite or I am trading it in for a Mangold.

20. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

The impatience of some fans is just unbelievable. I guess we can declare Clemens a bust also. And Vilma has one subpar year and the fans are clamoring to trade him.