ESPN: The List: Five Suggested Rule Changes

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by hydro51, Mar 6, 2007.

1. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

ESPN: The List: Five Suggested Rule Changes
    The List: Cap break for veterans?

By Eric Allen
    ESPN.com
    Archive

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=allen_eric&id=2788420

I definetly agree with #5

#1 hydro51, Mar 6, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  2. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Also would add that teams should be able to view with instant replay under 2 mins. None of that crap like with what happened in Cleveland with the ''judgemental'' shit.

3. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

nothing on the quarterback situation? thats not good..

4. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

i dont think these are official.. just eric allen suggesting.

5. Baron von Jilma

Baron von Jilma New Member

The problem with changing the pass interference rules is that on a 50 yard bomb to the end zone, it would make more sense for the DB to just tackle the wide receiver before the ball got there and take the 15 yards if he thought it was going to be a catch. The penalty is the way it is to prevent stuff like that.

6. JonathonVilmaPwnsnub

Thats what i was thinking too. Its a shame that it has to be put to the spot of the penalty but they cant let DBs just interfere on purpose because they know they cant stop the WR without committing a penalty.

7. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

I think they should readjust the way they make calls for the Quarterback. I think they baby the qb to much where when a guy is running towards the qb they tend to ease up. which in turns slows there motion of them getting to the qb and they dont want to draw the roughing the passer.

This is football Qb is fair game in my opinion and should take a lot more bumps and bruises.

8. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Wow, I really like the first two...

1. This is a great idea and encourages loyalty, which teams seem to preach but as soon as it is good for them, they'll drop a player like a bad habit unless you're an icon (see: Alstott)

2. Another great idea. The rich guys'll always be able to afford the care they need, but the average player that can't afford it ends up with a body that is compromised or doesn't work completely in the case of some injuries. The job they perform causes medical issues almost as a rule and this needs to be addressed.

3. Yes and Definitely not...The ridiculous penalties need to cease although I doubt they will because the general public (read: wider audience=mo money) loves scoring and this rule encourages that (see: any other sport except soccer). I agree as above stated, WR's would get mauled by d-backs about to be burned so I don't agree with a penalty change, but some sort of offset to the first part might be explored.

4. Concussions are definitely out of hand...see our boy Wayne. New helmets are a great idea along with possible rule changes as agreed to by the players.

5. I'd go 25% each: coaches, players, writers, and fans...if the Pro Bowl existed for the sport of it, but alas it doesn't. The Pro Bowl is there for the fans and the fans rule the roost. As it should be.

9. Arsis

Arsis New Member

this is a good list

10. GreenMachine

Tackling a QB with the ball is not roughing the passer...See Jets v. Jax

11. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

#5 is a must

12. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

#1 and #3 I don't agree with. The others are no-brainers.

13. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I think I'd tweak the challenge rule.... I think teams should get 2 challenges per half and if you correctly get a challenge you keep it. I also think they should carry over from the 1st half to the 2nd half and one should be added to the total for OT.

I also think although it will never happen because it goes into the making officials look bad thing but penalty challenges. If a coach thinks a guy grabbed the facemask he can challenge it, if he thinks his LB was held by the OL he can challenge it. Or vice versa, if a guy gets called for illegal touching and the coach knows his guy stayed in bounds they can challenge that.

14. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Was this the one called on Vilma when the ref explained the call as "LANDING ON THE QB WITH ALL HIS WEIGHT"?? I'll never forget that ridiculous explanation.

15. OJDidIt

OJDidIt Banned

The Giants should be disbanded.