Thomas Jones traded to the Jets...Deal Complete (Merged 5X)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hydro51, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Why the Jones Deal Works So Well for the Jets
    Mike Tannenbaum done good.

Although the Thomas Jones trade isn?t grand larceny, as some of my media colleagues painted it (we?ll explain later), it still looks like a terrific deal for the Jets. Here?s why:

The Jets needed a No. 1 back, and the market was shrinking. They had to act quickly, and they did.
    Ahman Green and Travis Henry signed with the Texans and Broncos, respectively. LaMont Jordan took a paycut yesterday in Oakland, meaning he won?t be released. Dominic Rhodes isn?t the Jets? cup of tea, especially after his recent DUI arrest. Chris Brown? Yawn. T.J. Duckett? Double yawn. Michael Turner, a restricted free agent, would?ve cost at least a No. 1 pick.

So, basically, it came down to Jones and the Redskins? Ladell Betts, another trade possibility. The Jets talked to the Redskins about Betts, who is a year younger than Jones and more cost efficient (he signed a five-year extension last December for a modest $11 million). But the Jets felt more comfortable with Jones because of his larger body of work.

The Jets don?t have to make a panic move on draft day. Scouts say it?s a thin running-back crop, with only two backs worthy of first-round consideration: Oklahoma?s Adrian Peterson and Cal?s Marshawn Lynch. To land Peterson, the Jets, picking 25th, would?ve had to trade into the top five, maybe top three. It would?ve cost their No. 1 pick, a starting player and perhaps a second- or third-round pick, a ridiculous price for a running back.

Lynch? Too much off-the-field baggage for the Jets? liking. They could?ve waited for Ohio State?s Antonio Pittman or Louisville?s Michael Bush in the second round, but why take another young back when they already have Leon Washington? They needed a veteran presence, and got one.

Scouts say Jones is a good combination back, which means he should work well with Washington. Jones is durable, but he absorbs a lot of punishment because of his running style. He?s at his best when he?s not overworked. Here?s a breakdown of his productivity last season, according to STATS, LLC:

Carries 1 to 15: 220 attempts, 942 yards, 4 touchdowns, 4.3 average per carry.

Carries 16+: 76 attempts, 268 yards, 2 touchdowns, 3.5 average.

Now, as for the question of whether the Jets stole Jones from the Bears, let?s examine the trusty points system on the trade-value chart, used by teams through the NFL.

The Jets dropped 26 spots in the second round, from 37th to 63rd. The 37th pick (acquired last year from the Redskins) has a point value of 530; the 63rd pick is 276 points. The difference is 254 points, which equates to a very high third-round choice (67th overall, to be exact), according to the chart.
    So you might say the Jets got Jones for a high third-rounder. It wasn?t an absolute robbery - after all, they pretty much dropped an entire round - but it was a good value nonetheless.

Look at it this way: If someone told you the Jets were acquiring Jones for the 59th pick (their own second rounder), you would?ve thought it was a fair deal. Turns out they had to give up a little less than that, which makes it a terrific deal for the Jets.

Unless Jones fails his physical (don?t expect another Lee Suggs debacle), the trade will be formally announced later today. Jones and the Jets agreed in principle last night on a long-term deal - my guess is five years - that includes about $12 million in guarantees.

http://blogs.nydailynews.com/jets/archives/2007/03/why_the_jones_deal_works_so_we.php

2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

unbelievable isn't it :rofl:

3. Rhodes_25

Rhodes_25 New Member

guyrftyfyhjhgyuf

#463 Rhodes_25, Mar 6, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  4. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Oh come on man, we're busting your chops...Their is no need for you to say that.

We joke around on here, have fun, whatever...Don't take things so serious.

5. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

will this be murrells 1st ban?

6. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

are you kidding me... good riddance you rat

7. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

Tony do somethin about this..... oh wait :grin:

8. Blitz4Life

Blitz4Life Active Member

A 28 year old running back? not sure this is smart

look at curtis martin. he was 4 years older than jones when he finally started having serious knee problems. why do the jets want this guy if hes not got much future ahead. however, is it true that he was rarely used in the past and u can say hes only played for like 4 seasons? if that is the case then i would change my opinion cus all i know is when i saw im playin for chicago they fed him the ball on every down.

9. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

Benson will be asked to carry the load, whether he can carry the load is another question. He's a talented guy, but a bit of a headcase who has also been injury prone. If Grossman is their quarterback next year, which by all indications he will be, then the Bears will need to rely on the run as they did this year.

Given Jones' salary demands and age, the Bears made the right deal. That said, they are putting their eggs in the Benson basket big time (especially if Adrian Peterson is not capable of handling a larger workload than in the past).

10. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Very nice post. :wink:

11. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

... why the fuck is it necessary to start a new thread... their are other threads where you can discuss your disgust.

12. namath4ever

namath4ever Member

He doesn't have the same mileage as Martin did at this age so he is still in good shape in that area. Plus Benson got quite a few carries last year.

13. Coach K

Coach K New Member

dont worry winston i have the same opinion of leon. and I just look at this as 2 more years of learning for him. if thomas gets the ball 15 times a game and washington about 12. he'll be fine.

hes far too talented to sit the bench. espeically considering thomas isnt anything special, hes just good for pedestrian carries that eventually add up. its something we need. but I believe if the O-line's run blocking improves, leon will take over after jones prime and we'll have drafted someone to backup leon by then.

14. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

jones averaged a little over 100 carries his first 4 seasons. usually a starting RB gets about 290-330 carries i would say...jones now has 1.300 carries and that would = 4-5 seasons as a starting RB. and its not like he will get 300+ carries now. washington could get about 100-150 and jones will get about 200-250 maybe. he will be fine

15. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I agree with you, good post.

Philosophically there is risk in standing pat which is highly discounted, especially by teams that made it as far as the Bears did this year. The Bears had a lot go right for them this year to get to a SB but the reality is they were somewhat exposed on D. They will need Grossman to get better and a better running game to get back to a SB and have a shot to win a SB. They need Benson to be better than Jones and they need a good draft to get back. They took a risk but they take a risk by standing pat as well. The reality of the game is you get second guessed on the deal that you make along with the deal you don't make.

16. asscue35

asscue35 New Member

You start a thread over this nonesense? You are just an attention seeker.Like I said yesterday I think the moderator should screen people for intelligence before anyone here is allowed to post.Who would you rather have? Corey Dillon, Chris Brown, Ahman Green, Trvis Henry , TJ Duckett? or which running back will you suggest we draft who is currently better than Jones at number 25 or 37?Before you criticize and act like a GM , please bring suggestions and lets see how good you are.

17. asscue35

asscue35 New Member

Moderator please move this post.It is irrelevant.Even if we signed M Turner, some people will have reason to complain.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yeah I really believe that toughness is the number one attribute that separates the prospects from the pros at runningback. Benson is a lot of things but one thing he is not is tough.

Obviously you've gotta have most of the other things lined up also but if you're not tough it just won't matter. A superstar on the bench is worth less than a journeyman on the field.

19. GreenMachine

HA...I merged the thread before you saw. No worries.

20. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

after we test for IQ we should do an opinion survey before allowing people to post that way the moderators can decide if it's really intelligence that's at issue.