Thomas Jones traded to the Jets...Deal Complete (Merged 5X)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hydro51, Mar 5, 2007.

1. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

So we got a first rounder by trading down. Better that way than trading up don't you think.
    This deal is not 'brilliant' but we got equal value I would say.
    I'm very happy with it and reckon you will be too come the beggining of the season

2. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Roba I need you! :lol: Turn me to the brightside...

I just don't see how this is a good trade, I'm sorry.

3. Dbrickdaman

Dbrickdaman New Member

Hands down smart trade, to get a starting rb, a first round draft pick, and a second round pick, for the higher of our 2 draft picks no brainer

4. rillo

rillo New Member

i like the trade....we still keep 2 picks in the second round.....i think it was a good deal, plus Thomas Jones is a heck of alot better than the other names that were tossed around (i.e Chris Brown, Micheal Turner)

5. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

Several problems with your logic...

First off, Jones is 28 right now.

Second, here are his stats -

Rushing Stats
    YEAR TEAM G ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LOST
    2000 ARI 14 112 373 3.3 29 2 23 3 2
    2001 ARI 16 112 380 3.4 21 5 22 2 1
    2002 ARI 9 138 511 3.7 58 2 21 3 2
    2003 TAM 16 137 627 4.6 61 3 25 3 1
    2004 CHI 14 240 948 4.0 54 7 49 2 1
    2005 CHI 15 314 1335 4.3 42 9 61 2 2
    2006 CHI 16 296 1210 4.1 30 6 61 1 1
    Career 100 1349 5384 4.0 61 34 262 16 10

Jones has missed only 3 games in the last 4 seasons.

Since leaving Arizona, he has averaged 4.6, 4.0, 4.3, 4.1 and 4.0 YPC.

Funny how the Bears haven't had a QB to speak of and he has averaged over 4 YPC in his 3 years there. What do you think he can do with Pennington (and I will admit Penny will never be what he could have been before the arm problems...but he is still better than Grossman)???

He has only 1350 carries in his 7 year career...about 190 carries per year.
    That isn't alot by today's standards for RB.

Figure the Jets sign him to 5 year deal...which probably is only a 2 or 3 year deal depending on how it is structured. They still have the luxury this year or next year of taking a back in the draft to develop for 1 or 2 years.

All this for the price of moving down in the 2nd round...a draft which the experts are saying is short on 1st round talent???

Not sure about your analysis of the trade.

6. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

From Sporting News.

CHICAGO -- The Chicago Bears reached a preliminary agreement to trade running back Thomas Jones to the New York Jets on Monday for a second-round draft pick.

A person familiar with the trade told The Associated Press the Jets will give up a second-round draft pick, 37th overall, for Jones, who rushed for 1,210 yards and six touchdowns in helping the Bears make the Super Bowl. The person did not wish to be identified because the trade has not been officially announced.

The 28-year-old Jones must pass a physical and agree to a contract extension before the deal is complete. The Jets also would receive Chicago's second-round choice, No. 63 overall, in the trade. New York would surrender the second-rounder it received from Washington in a previous deal.

The Jets have been looking for a No. 1 running back since Curtis Martin was sidelined a year ago by knee problems. Martin is expected to retire.

Jones, who also has played for Arizona and Tampa Bay, had big postseason performances this year. He rushed for 123 yards and two touchdowns in the NFC championship game win over New Orleans, then had 112 yards on 15 carries in the Super Bowl. He has one year remaining on his contract.

The Bears have decided to go with Cedric Benson, their first-round pick (fourth overall) in 2005. Benson, who's been a backup to Jones, injured his knee in the Super Bowl and had only two carries for minus-1 yard.

Benson gained 647 yards during the regular season, averaging 4.1 yards per carry, the same as Jones.

Jones, the seventh overall selection in the 2000 draft by the Cardinals, rushed for 1,335 yards in 2005, becoming the second runnning back in Bears history to surpass 1,300. The other was Walter Payton.

He should fit well in the Jets' offense, which ranked 20th last season, but got a spark from Leon Washington. Washington is only 5-foot8, 202 pounds and not considered an every-down back.

The Jets recently waived Kevan Barlow and Derrick Blaylock, leaving them with Washington and Cedric Houston at running back.

The deal would be the latest move in a whirlwind offseason for the Bears, who've given contract extensions to coach Lovie Smith and GM Jerry Angelo; decided not to retain defensive coordinator Ron Rivera; and designated Pro Bowl linebacker Lance Briggs as their franchise player. Briggs said earlier this week in an interview with ESPN.com that the team should remove the tag or trade him.

7. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

I didn't like the trade straight up for a 2nd round pick but i love it for swapping 2nd rounders. The 2nd rounder we traded was one we basically stole from washington last year. So IMO we got a starting running back AND a 2nd round pick for nothing! Awesome moves!

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

He was hurt more early in his career, he has been very durable since leaving Arizona. In TB in '03 he played in all 16 games, in Chi in '04 14 games, in '05 15 games(16 counting the postseason game) and last year he played in all16 re season games plus the 3 postseason games and he was great in the postseason. This guy is in his prime right now and should have at least 2-3 more seasons in his prime. It was a great trade.

9. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Why did this need a new thread?

10. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Because sometimes people like to stand on a rock and shout "I'M DIFFERENT TO YOU!".

11. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

IMO he was the best RB on the FA market , including Turner.

12. OJDidIt

OJDidIt Banned

Lay off the Hate orade

13. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Well he was the most effective guy that Chicago has had since they drafted Benson. And honestly, asking for more than a 4.5 ypc average is asking alot...how many guys do that every season, maybe 3 tops?

14. OJDidIt

OJDidIt Banned

Where are all the bridge-jumpers from yesterday who were crying about the Jets not signing Travis Henry??? Show yourselves!

15. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

The trade is a good one because it has little dowside risk. There is not much that can go wrong because we haven't invested much so far. Worst case scenarios include him not wanting to sign a reasonable contract, in which case we bench him and send him somewhere else. He could also get hurt early in the season. But even if any of that happens, we still never invested much in the first place.

From that standpoint, it really is a no-brainer.

16. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

Its better for use that he doesnt have that much mileage on him. It means we can get more out of him.

17. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

The only reason why your frowning is because he didnt go to Denver... go root for a different team Sally32teams.

18. Coach K

Coach K New Member

john lithgow huh?

yeah id say hes about to kick the can when hes doing campbells soup commercials

19. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

So true, this trade is g-r-r-r-r-r-r-eat!!! We picked up a BRUISER with believe it or not, SB experience for virtually nothing and this dude is bad-ass. We tried to pick him up last season and we missed and he had a nice year.. Our O-Line is sick and together we WILL have a very nice running game. We at this board should be stoked...

HAHAHAAHAHAHA the pats fans here in mass think its a good thing that they picked up kyle brady. hahahaha!

20. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

and the other one is a Bears fan! :lol: