Did the jets FO make a good trade for Jones?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GreenMachine, Mar 6, 2007.

?

Do you like the Trade for Jones?

1. Yes

97.5%
  2. No

2.5%
  1. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Somebody is bound to fall to us, and now we'll have t osettle for less...

2. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

You guys I never said a certain player. I'm just saying in general...

You act like a 1,200 yard season is so amazing. I'm hardly impressed. Sure he's had his good games in Chicago, sure he's built...but I'm a huge age guy....he's gunna be 29...his prime will be here and gone in 2 years....

3. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

....and by then we will be ready for our franchise back. The Oline will have a couple of season together and anyone playing behind them will have a good chance to show exactly what they can do.
    Its all part of the plan......rome wasn't built in a day and all that

4. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

I was ticked off at the trade when I initially heard we traded a 2nd round pick for him. But now that they got a 2nd round back, it is an awesome deal.

5. rillo

rillo New Member

no way bro....if he doesnt get hurt.....it was a great trade for us!

6. Jetsetter

Jetsetter Active Member

Absolutely a great move. We gave up nada! The Tannenbaum doubters need to give him more time to make deals like this one. Jones can only help our running game. Thank you, Mike.

7. Joeyd223

Joeyd223 New Member

This is a very goood trade with a very good trade value. I actually watched alotta thomas jones this year an I liked him. He runs wit power yet hes got a nice lil burst of speed... He had an extremly nice screen play in the playoffs that really helped the bears. I like wut i seen out of this guy. A+ in my book in terms of value of trade.. Andd I can say without a doubt he is the 7 or 8th best running back in the game so that aint bad...

8. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

i heard on the fan that if the jets and jones cannot reach a contract extension, the trade cannot go through...so we're protected in that respect

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Well QueensBearsFan is probably pissed as hell that the Bears traded Jones.

10. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

And that is a good plan. Once the O-line is finished then bring in the Franchise back for Clemens to hand it off too.

11. SOWELLisGOD

SOWELLisGOD New Member

wow an overwhelming yes

12. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

in all we got a good back and payed minimum to get him we gave the 37th pick to get him but we got the 63rd from them as well so we turned out alright. now we just address our lines etc. and we will better off

13. ATL-JET

ATL-JET Active Member

That wasn't a trade...that was an ass raping....what they did to the Bears was ugly.

Way to go Tannenbaum!

14. Bawden

Bawden New Member

15. MAJORPAYNE

MAJORPAYNE New Member

Damn Right it was...............

16. MAJORPAYNE

MAJORPAYNE New Member

Why?....................A 2nd round pick for a difference maker who is proven warrior. Did you see what he did to the top defenses in the league last year? this guy has the ability to take it to the house every time he touches the ball!

17. njjet

njjet Member

It's about time we now have people who know what they are doing :grin:

18. CYensePHIction

I always thought that Thomas Jones was underappreciated for the talent that he had all these years. I think he will be a great addition, his running style mixed with Leon's speed will give us the one-two punch at RB that we missed for most of last season.

19. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Do we know what we are paying for this deal outside of the 2nd round pick trade down? A lot of people are reacting extremely favorable on this deal. Even last night the New England news talked about it being a sweet deal for the Jets. He should make a better combination at RB with Washington than Houston has.

20. QueensBearsFan

QueensBearsFan New Member

Cedric Benson = LaMont Jordan

Actually BradwaySux, I'm not pissed at all. The only negative is that we swapped picks instead of getting a straight up pick. As much as I appreciate Jones' leadership, he's already reached his ceiling. He was underpaid big time for three years here, and to give him a nice contract to reward what he did instead of what he's going to do is bad management.

Benson is a far superior tailback who will now get his opportunity. Benson got nicked up the past couple of years because he was asked to do something that's not his game--punish the opposing defense. Thomas Jones was such a soft runner that we needed a change of pace back. So the coaches sent in Benson to soften up the defense.

Benson would routinely run head-first into 300-lb defensive lineman who eat running backs for breakfast. Benson probably gives up a couple of protein shakes to Jones in terms of weight, but he was asked to do the dirty work because Jones was a finesse runner.

It's like the Jets situation a couple of years ago. Just because Jones started over Benson doesn't mean he's a superior runningback. The Jets had LaMont Jordan and Curtis Martin. Martin was proven, and Herm Edwards knew what he was getting. If LaMont Jordan had gotten the chance to start, who knows, he could have put up even better numbers that Martin. We will see in 2007 whether Benson is up to the task when he finally gets his chance. I for one am glad the RBBC is over.