Thomas Jones Devils Advocate page--

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cotch, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Big Cotch

Big Cotch Banned

OK guys- I have a hard on right now. Love the trade!! 20 spots in round 2 is nothing, and that pick was a gift anyway. We still have the same amount of first day picks, and one less hole to fill-- and we did it with a guy who will be here for a while at a high level.

I don't want to get crazy over this, so maybe a little Devils Advocate here. Are there any reasons why this move isn't great? I really can't think of one, but I'm always up for some Devils Advocate.

2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

We have to give him a completely new deal...

3. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

because Penny stole my avatar!!!

back to the google images

4. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

He's 29, despite low mileage on his legs. This is his fourth team. There has to be a reason he hasn't caught on. He doesn't really complement Washington at all; he's 5'10, 220, while Washington is 5'8, 202. Quite similar. Career YPC is just 4.0. His last two seasons were his first over 1,000 yards (although, the year before that, he was 52 shy).

Not saying any of this bothers me, just playing Devil's Advocate.

Edit: Also, by the sound of a few posts on the Bears' board, he may have a history of being injury prone.

5. scoochydawg

scoochydawg Active Member

This deal is like a sore dick, you can't beat it.

6. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

....and deal with the agent moron Drew....next question.

7. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

Jones and Washington are NOTHING alike. Jones will pound the rock right up the middle, and do so with some power. Great trade!

8. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

I called him coming here a few months back with him being angry with the Bears staff.

If you asked me straight up, I woulda fuckin killed for his little bro Julius since Im a diehard Irish fan and think Jones will be great in time but honestly Thomas is just as good.

9. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

Only bad part is having to deal with Rosenhaus on a new deal.

10. Big Cotch

Big Cotch Banned

OMG!!! LMAO!!!

11. Big Cotch

Big Cotch Banned

Yeah, I'd like to see what he gets-- hope fully we don't get highjacked.

12. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

I worry with Drew Rosenhaus. He's less agent and more heel WWE manager.

13. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

Drew is like any other agent - he does what his clients want. Some of his clients happen to be crazy. I bet TJones is thrilled with this trade and realizes the Jets will pay what he's worth.

14. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

What is a No. 2 back behind Leon worth?

15. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Uh, Thomas is not only a better football player then Julius, he is tougher and has a much better work ethic. Julius is not even in TJ's league.

16. jets1960

jets1960 New Member

Let's draft the FB from Rutgres, an NT , a OG and an LB

17. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Why Leonard? That makes no sense now... Leonard and Washington in the backfield made a lot of sense, especially if we could get a guy like Mughelli. Now it makes zero sense.

18. Big Cotch

Big Cotch Banned

Someone had to ruin my day with Leonard talk :(

19. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

HAHAHA!!!! :rofl:

20. QueensBearsFan

QueensBearsFan New Member

Thomas Jones Scouting Report From A Bears Fan

Hello, Bears fan here. I just heard about the trade on ESPN, and though I'm not thrilled about it, I'm not terribly saddened either. We signed TJ on the cheap ($10M for 4 years) and hoped to run him into the ground for cheap labor. Unfortunately last year he and his agent kept moaning about wanting a better deal. I guess he shouldn't have signed a 4 year deal if he didn't want to honor it.

Anyways, here is a brief scouting report on TJ from a Bears fan who has 80 percent of the Bears games on tape from the last two seasons. Jones is a good cutback runner and a decent inside runner. Unfortunately, for a running back with such a tremendous physique he shies away from contact, frequently turning his back to the tackler to avoid a big hit.

Jones acceleration into and out of a hole is pretty good. However his top end speed is average at best. The three seasons he played here never once did he take a long run (40 yards or more) into the house. For whatever reason, Jones he doesn't have a 3rd gear to outrun tacklers. Jones is also a feast or famine type runner. He'll drive fans crazy with his 2-yard, 3-yard, 4-yard runs. Then halfway through a game he'll hit a crease and bust one for 15 yards. So unless you guys have a dependable 3rd-down passing game, you'll face alot of 3-and-outs.

Jones was injury prone early on in Arizona and the first two years he got dinged up a bit (turf toe, sprained knee ligament). Last season though he made it through without missing any time, however he did share carries with Cedric Benson down the stretch. You guys are right, he's a young 29 with relatively little mileage. And his receiving ability is definitely a plus, as is his blocking ability.

To recap, Jones pro's are good cutback ability, good perimeter runner, good pass protection, and rarely fumbles. Also a great locker room guy, provided he's not bitching about a contract extension and holding out. He'll get teammates to come together.

Jone's con's are boom or bust type runner. Also, not extremely fast in open field. Will drive you crazy with his desire to avoid contact. Also, for such a big player he's top heavy, meaning most of his weight is distributed in his upper body (chest, arms). That means he's got a poor center of gravity and will almost always go down on the first arm tackle. For a guy with such big guns, rarely if ever will he give a stiff arm. The thing that drove Bears fans nuts was his inability to break tackles. Also, if you're expecting a move-the-pile type back, it's not going to happen. THE FIRST TACKLER always brings him down.

This is my honest, accurate scouting report of him. When the season starts in September you'll see everything I said is dead-on.

#20 QueensBearsFan, Mar 5, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2007