Thomas Jones traded to the Jets...Deal Complete (Merged 5X)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hydro51, Mar 5, 2007.

1. The U

The U Member

Great Deal....cannot wait for the season!

2. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!

He was my Fantasy Football sleeper for 3 years straight!

Nice move :up:

3. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Not gonna get Joey Porter IMO...

Nick Harper would be good...

Marc Columbo is a guy we should target...we need a vet RT

Our offense could flourish next year if we add this guy.

4. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

If you watched the SB, you must have heard of him. Maybe too much :drunk: , lol. Just kidding.

I am all for Tanny and Mangini's conservative stance to FA. I am one who was and still is happy they didn't sign every big name out there.

But this trade makes A LOT of sense. Fills a big hole after Barlow and Blaylock were released with a proven veteran RB with a few years left in the tank. And think of the value in it, remember this was the pick we picked up from Washington for moving down a few spots in the 2nd round last year. So:

Jets 2006 2nd pick = Kellen Clemens (who we got after trading down with the Redskins), Thomas Jones, and Bears 2007 2nd pick

There is no real downside, even if Thomas doesn't work out long term, all the FO did was get more picks. Not much to be skeptical about (unless of course they can't get an extension done).

#204 dabrowsk1, Mar 5, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  5. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

227, Yes, Jones was complaining about his contract, but it goes beyond that. Benson was a #4 overall pick, and wasn't liked by his team mates according to many reports. The Bears players all wanted Jones to play, not Benson. Jones was a leader on that offense. By trading Jones, they remove some dissention in the ranks of the players.

After losing playing time to Benson (and getting paid a lot less than Benson) he asked to be traded, partly becuse he wasn't happy with the Bears refusing to extend his contract. Bears owbership is pretty cheap, and only just gave the HC Lovie Smith a raise (he was the lowest paid HC in the NFL)

He's a decent RB. He's also only 29 soon, and had a slow start in the NFL, so he's got low miles on him. Still, I think we need to get something done with the O line, because Jones isn't the answer by himself. He's certainly a big upgrade over Barlow. He's also a team leader type, a gut that his team mates always seem to like. As long as we don't over pay him, I'm very happy with this move... not ecstatic, but happy. I'm not convinced he'll be better than Leon, but he fills a need for that 3rd RB for sure. Much better than Dillon, for instance.

6. mudman

mudman New Member

Did I say how much I love this trade yet?

Oh yeah, I did, but damn I just wanna keep saying how much I love it.

Read reader reactions on ESPN and the Bears fans are livid. They dont think that the trade can actually be official as it has been reported. They are praying for more. Kinda feel bad for them............well, not really.

Go Jets!

7. Big Cotch

Big Cotch Banned

Veins are popping out of my cock.

8. sunnygs97

sunnygs97 New Member

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaahhh Whooooooooooeeeee!!!

9. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

HAHAHA!:rofl:

10. sunnygs97

sunnygs97 New Member

chill holmes

11. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

The dude is ripped too.....

[​IMG]

(Cant find that TB pic of him. That pic right there is just sick man.)

12. scoochydawg

scoochydawg Active Member

lol lol lol

13. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

I agree...as I said, Tangini is letting the value of the market sort itself out before doing anything. They saw that Ahman Green and Travis Henry both got more then expected, so rather then keep pursuing free agent running backs, they went out and traded down in the second round to pick up a back who's equal if not better at their respective stages in their careers. I'm sure TJ's going to get extended, but I'm willing to bet it'll be a feasible and smart contract with the Jets owning his rights. I've been very vocal about my desire to see this team sign Joey Porter just because I think if theres one player to break the bank on its him, he's a stud at a position of need. But certainly I'm not going to cry over spilled milk if he isn't signed, one player doesn't make a defense unless his name is Lawrence Taylor. Thank God with the TJ trade today hopefully this will signal the end of all that Turner for a first nonsense.

14. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

< you mean this pic?

15. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

[​IMG]

16. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Wow. Great trade. BIG vote of confidence in my view for Leon Washington. So so so happy that we did not give up what it would have taken in picks and money for Turner. My one slight concern is that I think Jones is going back into another 50/50 situation with Leon (probably 40/40/10) and that he can be OK with that.

17. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Story has been added to

Sources: Bears to swap Jones for Jets draft pickBy Michael Smith
    ESPN.com

Curtis Martin's injured knee forced the New York Jets to employ a running-back-by-committee approach last season. No more of that. New York has landed a replacement chairman.

Thomas Jones
    Running Back
    Chicago Bears

2006 SEASON STATISTICS
    Rush Yds TD Rec Yds TD
    296 1210 6 36 154 0

Filling their need for a No. 1 ball carrier, the Jets, according to league sources, have agreed to a trade with the NFC champion Chicago Bears that will land them Thomas Jones and the 63rd overall pick in the upcoming draft in exchange for the 37th overall pick. New York acquired that in a draft-day deal with Washington last year. The deal is expected to be approved by the league on Tuesday.

The Jets still own two picks in the second round, their own (No. 59) and now the Bears' original selection. The Bears select 31st in Round 1 and for now are set to be on the clock six picks later.

With rookie Leon Washington, Cedric Houston, and Kevan Barlow sharing the rushing load, New York ranked 30th in the league last season with an average of 3.5 yards per attempt. Washington led the team with 650 yards. In Jones, 28, the Jets get a back who has rushed for more than 1,200 yards in each of the past two seasons -- becoming the first Bear to do so since Walter Payton in 1985-86. Jones was the postseason's second-leading rusher with 301 yards, averaging 5.5 yards per attempt and scoring four touchdowns in three playoff games.

The Jets and their fans got an up-close look at what New York is getting Nov. 19 when Jones rushed for 121 yards on 23 carries in the Bears' 10-0 win at the Meadowlands.

After rushing for 1,335 yards and nine touchdowns in 2005, Jones acted on his unhappiness with his contract by boycotting the Bears' voluntary offseason workouts. Jones was entering the final year of the deal he signed in 2004 and slated to earn $2.75 million this season, but his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, and the Jets were believed to be working on a new long-term contract last night.

The seventh overall selection in the 2000 draft by the Cardinals out of Virginia, Jones played three seasons in Arizona, spent the 2003 season with the Buccaneers, and has led the Bears in rushing each of the past three seasons. The Bears, however, drafted Cedric Benson with the fourth overall pick in 2004. Jones and Benson made a formidable tandem during last year's run to Super Bowl XXLI, but what was believed to be an icy relationship with each other, as well as Benson with the rest of his teammates, has been a popular topic in the Windy City since Benson's arrival. Jones requested a trade earlier this offseason.

Benson tied Jones for the team lead with six rushing touchdowns and equaled his average of 4.1 yards per rush, carrying 157 times to Jones' 296. It was never a matter of if but when the Bears would elevate Benson to No. 1 status. That time is now.

Michael Smith is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2788962

18. Mavericknyc1980

Mavericknyc1980 Active Member

WOW what an EFFING move. WE got a guy who has the body and mileage of a 25 YO for just trading down in the second rd. THANK YOU LORD FOR TANGINI.

19. KY_Jetsfan

KY_Jetsfan New Member

Sweet!!! It took a few days to pull the trigger but it was well worth it. Great signing, now we can concentrate on other holes like CB, NT, DE, LB especially if we sign a RT in free agency.

LET'S DRAFT SOME KICK ASS DEFENSIVE PLAYERS WITH OUR FIRST THREE PICKS!

20. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Hahahahahhaha, you're a football fan?