Thomas Jones traded to the Jets...Deal Complete (Merged 5X)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hydro51, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

This is exactly what I'm afraid of, Winston. No one can tell me they gave this guy up because they saw potential. We traded a 2nd for a 2nd, so in some eyes, we got him for "free," but I'd be wary of what comes for nothing.

2. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

He was demanding a trade and they had Cedric Benson (4th overall from 2 years ago) right behind him. They probably felt pressured to trade and Tanny jumped at just the right time.

3. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

He said it was a horrible trade because he thought it was a 2nd round pick for Thomas Jones straight up...

4. YoungJet

YoungJet Member

#37 for Thomas Jones and #63. Jones has 1349 carriers for his career, he does not have nearly as much wear and tear on his body as nearly any other back his age. Good deal!

5. jetmike

jetmike New Member

Great move! I really love how the Jets proceed in free agency. Under the radar is very effective. We as fans get frustrated because we don't know what Tannenbaum and Mangini are planning,but in the long run we should all be very happy. The 2007 Jets will be very competitive and exciting again and with a little luck be on our way to the Super Bowl. This move shows you that the Jets feel they have a real chance to go all the way to Arizona.

6. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

awesome trade by the FO... TJ and their 2nd for our early 2nd? WOW... Have fun playin backup for the next 4 years in SD Turner.

7. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

It is certainly is looking alot better then it did a couple hours ago. Let me clarify though, Schein said he THINKS Columbo is going to sign with the Jets. I didn't take it to mean he had any concrete knowledge of the situation. Those two moves would change our O completely for next year though.

8. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

I am Wowed by this trade. Ever since I heard that Jones was available about 3 weeks ago, I've thought he would be the best of all possibilities on the Jets. I'm glad he's on our side, and I'm ecstatic about the compensation package. Really is an awesome trade in all ways.

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

You need to change your avatar to Thomas Jones now. :up:

10. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Haha...workin on it:)

11. mudman

mudman New Member

The more I think about this, the more I love it.

Is this what a great front office feels like? Wow...I could get used to this!

12. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

Damn right. They've probably been working on this trade for a while which is why there hasn't been much news around me. I would expect a few Jets signings in the next couple of days as they focus in on free agency again.

13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I don't know man, this guy could play. IMO he is very similar to Curtis in many ways with some homerun potential than the Curtis at the end of his career.

14. Section 227. Row 5

Well, perhaps I shouldn't be so skepitcal. It sounds like we made an economical trade, but is it a GOOD trade? I was hoping to augment Leon's scatback style with a real Brandon Jacobs-type, heavy-duty, punishing style.

15. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

It has NOTHING to do with Jones as a player. They need to play Benson because of his draft position, and they're a notoriously cheap franchise... this is a franchise that was positioning themselves to lose a HC that took them to the SB all because they didn't want to pay him more than an average salary. If the NFL didn't step in to protect an African American coach, he'd be gone after this year.

16. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Yeah. I've been looking forward to the baseball season ever since the Jets season ended. I mean I still am, and it's here, but this one 'little' trade has gotten me pumped for Training Camp for the Jets already.

Maybe it's because, although we know of Cotcherys' contract extension and a few releases, this is a 'major' trade that gets us Jets fans happy.

:beer: Cheers, to Tangini.

...... Welcome to NY Thomas Jones.

17. All Star

All Star Active Member

And to think we would have given up our first, AND a third to get Turner........

Tangini PWNed everybody.....

18. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Because he's injury prone and really has no use now, where would he fit in? Now that I think about it, he would be fine as a third stringer that only comes in if somebody gets hurt. But as far as playing time goes, I hope to never see him on the field again.

19. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Turner?

I don't know who you speak of.

...... :beer: Cheers to Tangini.

20. Section 227. Row 5

Well, I trust Tangini's judgement and it looks like some of you are behind it as well, so perhaps it was a good move.

I've just never heard of this guy and was hoping for more of a heavy-duty, punishing alternative to Leon.