the joey porter to jets thing just makes too much sense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreen04, Mar 4, 2007.

1. GangGreen04

GangGreen04 Active Member

"• All those 3-4 teams who didn't land Thomas will likely be in on the Joey Porter sweepstakes, like San Francisco, the Jets, Dallas, and Cleveland. In addition, Miami and Cincinnati are said to be interested.

I can't help but root for the Jets to make the winning bid, so we can all watch New York and New England match impact free-agent outside linebackers next season in the AFC East."

heres a little excerpt i got from sports illustrated.com
    Don banks wrote this article and like most other logical thinking sports fans out there joey porter to the jets just makes too much sense not to happen.
    We have a gapping hole in our 3-4 defense. Our rivals sign the premiere lb on the market. Signing joey porter not only improves our d but matches the pats moves this offseason. Building your team to contend with your division rivals is not something new in the nfl. A couple of years ago the saints and panthers dedicated their entire drafts too shutting down michael vick and the falcons.

Porter wants to wait and see how the markets going to shape up and his agent hasnt taken any calls yet... When the first meetings are scheduled i still expect a report linking him with a visit to hofstra... Porter is a proven commodity... hes not going to just fall of this season so tying some guaranteed money into the positiion is not a high risk situation such as dishing out some money for an offensive tackle or guard. I pray that tannenbaum realizes a gaping hole can be addressed with a joey porter signing thus totally slashing off the need for a de/olb in this upcoming draft... Thoughts?

I keep reading on some other boards that the reason the pats went after thomas and not the jets is because were a team with multiple holes and the pats r 1 piece away from the superbowl.
    Well correct me if im wrong but the jets were one fricking avoided lateral(the playoff play) from going 4 quarters with the pats. Whose too say the jets arent 1 piece away from leveling the playing field. With a team with less talent and argueably fewer suited players for our system, we sure did give the pats a run for their money last season. Why not go for the kill now, while chad still has enough in his arm to give us a chance?

#1 GangGreen04, Mar 4, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  2. TheFactor

TheFactor New Member

could not agree with you more. i am not in any kind of panic mode, but this looks like a no-brainer/home run to me.

3. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Since we didnt get Thomas, we gotta get porter

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I definitely prefer Porter to Thomas, but I really only want him at an acceptable price. 3 years for 15 million would be livable. That would turn into about half what the Pats actually gave Thomas if it's true he got a 12 million bonus plus 8 and 9 million salaries in the first two years.

5. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

I agree. Porter has always been one of the best playmakers no defense. I hope we can sign him but I don't want to give him a lot of money over a lot of years. I really don't want to be stuck with his contract in 4 or 5 years when he has really slowed down and he is relegated to a backup role.

6. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Unfortunately Porter will probably be looking for more money than what Thomas got, mostly because he's a more proven commodity and isn't so old yet. This will most likely be Porter's last huge contract, so whomever signs him is going to have to shell out some major cash.

7. e-x

e-x New Member

he has been consistantly declining and had a pretty bad year last year

i don't think he'll be too bad money wise

8. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I'd be quite happy with an impact player like this on our defense. He's one hell of a player and a vocal leader.

Cross out San Francisco though... They just handed out the largest contract for a defensive player in NFL history for Nate Clements. Then they got S Michael Lewis... And now Ashley Lelie. Could they afford another major free agent?

We should have the cap space once McCareins is released. I assume Barrett will get the axe eventually too once we find some sort of upgrade. He has quite a high salary for the player he is...

9. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

With this FA class and the amount they are getting he might make more than you think even though he might not deserve it at this point in his career.

10. GangGreen04

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/rss/s_496045.html

according to this article we havent even contacted his agent so im not even sure were slightly interested. The ravens are tight agaisnt the cap. The cowboys just signed davis to a big contract. Bengals and browns are hovering against the cap. We have some money available so we should really take a look.. How bout cato june... he had a hell of year last season. i know hes smallish but maybe he can rush the passer on the outside. I highly doubt it.

11. GangGreen04

The Dallas Cowboys have joined a growing number of teams interested in signing former Steelers linebacker Joey Porter.
    Dallas and the Baltimore Ravens are the latest teams to contact Porter, agent Jeff Sperbeck said Saturday. Other teams inquiring about Porter's availability include the Miami Dolphins, Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns and New York Giants.

"There's all kinds of levels of interest," Sperbeck said.

Sperbeck said he expects to hear from even more teams because Porter didn't become an unrestricted free agent until Thursday, the day before the start of the signing period.

"It was a shock to most people that he came on the market. They hadn't done their research or studied him yet," Sperbeck said.

Baltimore, Cincinnati and Cleveland are the Steelers' rivals in the AFC North.

"I think the teams in the division knew him. That's why they were able to move quicker," Sperbeck said. "Cleveland and Cincinnati are teams that had shown (early) interest."

Part of Baltimore's possible interest in Porter stems from the loss of outside linebacker Adalius Thomas, who signed with New England yesterday. Middle linebacker London Fletcher-Baker signed with Washington on the first day of free agency.

Porter and Cato June (Indianapolis) are two of the highest-rated unrestricted free-agent outside linebackers still available.

12. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

I want Porter, but i will not get my hopes up..

13. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Same here....

14. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

I really, really hope we get Porter. He'd really help this D.

15. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

But dosent Porter and BT play the same position? How is Joey in Coverage? Dont get me wrong the idea of Porter and or BT comming off the corner gives me wet dreams but I dont recal his abilty to cover the TE or back out of the backfield?

16. since83

since83 Member

If for anything else, nobody punks this guy. His attitude will be flowing throughout the entire defense and the team as a whole. We need him to bring a nasty attitude to new york. I love his attitude.

17. penny2coles

penny2coles New Member

I want Joey Porter here so bad! We need someone with a friggin' attitude on this team!

18. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Just so you're all aware Porter at this point in his career is just not that good. Unless he rushes the passer unblocked he never beats anyone. He's not good in coverage and he's never been great against the run. He was a great player but at this point he's just another linebacker that can get pressure if not blocked. Someone will pay him a huge contract. Hopefully it is not the Jets. I think he got very complacent after winning a superbowl and him and Cowher were extremely close. I don't know how he would deal with Mangini's camp or having a new coach period. While Porter may be faster then Hobson, Hobson is a better all around linebacker at this point and we can get a pass rushing tweener in the 2nd round that won't cost much and will be locked up for 5 years.

19. jetsman22

jetsman22 Banned

Joey Porter is the same age as Thomas. They were both born in 77 dude. If you go to nfl.com you will also see that Thomas has better stats over the last three years, especially last year.

Joey porter cannot play 5 defensive positions WELL, including cornerback. Thomas is a better player. Joey is who you go after if you could not get Thomas. Juding by the stats, Thomas is on the rise, while Porter has been on the decline.

I am not saying Porter is a bad player, he would be a nice pick up.

#19 jetsman22, Mar 4, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Porter had an off year. He's not going to come close to what Thomas got. You get paid for last year as a free agent. The only exception is if you re-sign with your own team but usually they just franchise you (Freeney in Indy) and defer the gamble to next year.