John Clayton reports the Jets/Lions are talking trade for the number 2 pick.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joe W. Namath, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Welcome to J-Ville

Welcome to J-Ville New Member

i'd do that. With #2 we pick Calvin Johnson, we get our stud NT w/ Shaun Rodgers, and then we just gotta draft a LB in the 2nd round.

2. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Rhodes is our best defensive player. Bryan Thomas played much better than Vilma. Vilma was a fish out of water, and I do not see him improving. Don't get me wrong, I do not want to lose Vilma. But the likelihood is that he will only be with us 2 more years anyway, and right now he has tremendous value. There is WAY too much spoke about a Vilma trade for there not to be truth behind it.

3. johnnysd

Actually he did. The one week there was a competition for #2, Kellen won. Ramsey got cut. You know the more I think about it, the more I think that if they trade up to 2 for Johnson that is is for Clemens, not Pennington.

4. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

not gonna happen.....

5. curtisstaysforever28

i agree thast what i sed earlier...and he came back at me saying that "vilma had one bad year but as soon as he adapts to the 3-4 he'll be better." this is very true, i think vilma is talented enough to adapt to this style of defense. i couldnt imagine seeing vilma go. the fact of the matter is that there is too much of a risk in doing this trade. we KNOW that coles and vilma are good but there is still a chance that with johnson and peterson they wont live up to expectations. Tangini wont do this.

6. johnnysd

That's part of the problem with Quinn. When people discuss Quinn, they rarely discuss his actual perfromance they talk about Weis, and his pro-style offense and how since he coached Brady, Quinn must be the next Brady. The Quinn hype reminds me a lot of the Eli Manning hype, where all people could see was the Manning name and not the actual QB. Eli is not Peyton and he is at best a mediocre QB. Same with Quinn. People cant get past this Weis thing, and overrate Quinn horribly because of it.

7. UncleTomNYJ

UncleTomNYJ Active Member

If this was any sort of possibility i would say it would be for PETERSON. Based on our needs from this past season on offense. Remember we had no running game and a good passing game. Peterson could be the hall of fame running back that the jets need after Curtis.

I am also adimantly (typo) against trading JV but a middle linebacker is a lot easier to replace than a stud rb (possibly peterson)
    Again above all I trust in Mangini and Tanni.
    Because there all the hope i have as a Jet fan.

8. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

There was competition every week for the #2 spot. The week he was #2 wasn't the only week it was a competition.

9. curtisstaysforever28

ya i couldnt imagine the jets doing this trade and getting calvin johnson...we could go after joe horn and sign him to a 2-3 year deal or one of the other FA wrs to 'replace' coles (i hate saying that)...or we could put cotchery at #1 and actually USE BRAD SMITH FOR A CHANGE! if we dont use him more next year i'm gonna be really pissed. there are also later rounds to get wrs in...look at washington, he was a 4th rounder. the draft is a crap shoot. sometimes u get lucky and sometimes u get screwed. i still dont like this trade tho

10. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Coles,Vilma, and our 1st for Calvin Johnson, I say yes.

Vilma, our 1st and a 2nd for Adrian Peterson, I say HELL YES!!!

Johnson is like a young Randy Moss but much bigger, stronger and a lot less baggage.

Peterson is next year's rookie of the year and would fill our biggest whole.

11. curtisstaysforever28

our biggest hole IS NOT RUNNING BACK!!!!! how about OLINE...especially since the pats had to sign a. thomas today! this should make OLINE more of a priority. without a good one we're screwed both times we play the pats. and how about another DE for the 3-4 defense. thats another top priority...lets not forget CB either. washington is solid. we need a back like chris brown, travis henry, tj duckett, or corry dillen to compliment him and we're set.

12. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Biggest hole BY FAR is RB. Isn't even close. Have a GREAT third down back.

13. curtisstaysforever28

ok so then we get DUCKETT, HENRY, BROWN, or DILLON. we dont need to trade our defensive leader and best offensive player for one! and i like cedric houston and obviously the jets organization does too since he's still on the team

washington and houston is fine for me but i wouldnt mind seeing one of those 4 backs in green and white next year also

14. GreenMachine

No it is not.....

Biggest hole is NT.

15. Darth Vader

Darth Vader Member

detroit doesn't need a 4-3 MLB. Sims -- played llights out as a rookie last year -- would be hard to unseat. they just don't need a MLB...

16. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Ditto. I have faith in the managment.

I'm pretty sure Sims is an OLB.

17. curtisstaysforever28

thank u! finally some back up

18. curtisstaysforever28

o ya, and there is also ahman green, najeh davenport, jamal lewis if we show him the money (jamal aint happening but i'm including him to prove my point)

19. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

I'm surprised Clayton is the guy reporting this...

I'm in limbo with all these rumors and trades...I for one second don't believe Vilma wants to be traded, that's bullshit. But if it's #25/Vilma i'd pull the trigger. Be very sad that Vilma ould be gone, he's my favorite Jet...

I don't this this happens, the Jets are too far back for something this drastic to go down...

20. jfhjr71

jfhjr71 New Member

When I first read this I got completely sick, then I sat down and thought about it..

Vilma is excellent BUT he is playing out of position and this could definately hinder his career, the FO know they could get quality for him, know he is a good guy and this could benefit him. This is how they explain it to him and the fans.

Coles did bitch about training camp etc. but did seem to come around..The FO knows how important Coles is to Penningtons mental state. but Mangini may still remember the bitching and that may take precedence over Penningtons mental state.

Detroit has plenty on then depth chart for WR's - dont need Coles

WR - do not win Super Bowl's...Defense, QB's & RB's in that order..You can 3 average WR's and be fine (See Pats N.O. & San Diego).

Stating that we would not give up all this for a WR.

Brady Quinn - Not going to happen see Kellen Clemens (was really thought of a late 1st rounder)

Julian Peterson is the only one that makes sense and I would still want to see the NT (Rogers) become part of the deal..

So my conclusion - This is the NFL not the NBA, this sort of BLOCKBUSTER trade has less than a 1% chance of happening and will not...

Can anyone remember that last trade os this magnitude that actually happened in the NFL?