John Clayton reports the Jets/Lions are talking trade for the number 2 pick.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joe W. Namath, Mar 3, 2007.

1. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

Guys, people are getting to excited here. There is basically a 1% chance this would happen, especially now. The original poster doesn't even have all of his facts straight, he was just throwing out trade ideas. He said he didn't even hear who the Jets were targeting and what the proposed trade was, all he said was John Clayton said the Jets were trying to move up. He threw out those ideas of trades.

2. curtisstaysforever28

this is what i sed earlier...it holds true for whoever the jets would be thinking about taking w/ that pick. i dont even think it will happen. but i'm just sayin i'd rather have peterson cuz i think we're set at QB..but ur entitled to ur opinion just as i am mine

3. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

I'd pull the trigger on that deal, I think, if Johnson was the payoff. What bothers me is having to pay an unproven player that much of the salary cap. Still, it is an interesting rumor.

4. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

Give it up, you were wrong. Admit it. Both are Pro Bowlers already, 3 yrs into the league. If Fitz didnt get hurt early last season, he'd have 2 pro bowls in 3 yrs. As for Roy Williams, lord knows what he couldve done his first 2 seasons if he had a decent QB.

5. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Honestly, I'd rather give up Coles, our 1st, and both our 2nds than Coles, our 1st, and Vilma.... I really think getting rid of a young, classy, talented, team leader is a step int he wrong direction...

6. curtisstaysforever28

ok vision...we had a nice chat but i must be off. peace

7. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

It's definitely not something I'd write off at first glance like some did. Johnson is a TRUE #1, at least potentially, and a game changer. We're talking a red zone threat and a deep threat. With Cotchery under contract, we have our possession receiver.

8. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Coles is 30 coming off of a serious concussion at the end of last season. If you can move him for serious value now is the time to do it. He has 1 or 2 years left at best if that.

9. KyleJetfan

KyleJetfan Active Member

IF? Yeah and if my aunt had balls, shed be my uncle. Im not saying they are not good, im saying they are not worth, Vilma, our first, and a second. Read the whole thing before you type.

10. JetGreen

JetGreen New Member

I agree with your thoughts. CJ's got amazing talent (if that's who we are targeting), but nevertheless he is unproven at the NFL level. Not saying that he won't succeed but that's a lot we are giving up if Vilma and Coles are the players to go along with 25.

And the cap thing is concerning, too. Contracts aren't getting any cheaper and we are kind of putting all of our eggs in one basket. That doesn't sound like what Mangini and Tannebaum would do.

11. Gibril28Wilson

Gibril28Wilson New Member

ah yes, only 2 pro bowl WR's on horribel teams. they must be bad!

12. Joe W. Namath

Joe W. Namath New Member

Like I said before I think Vilma wants out. He knows he is too small to be productive in the middle of a 3-4 scheme. So for everyone saying there is no way Mangini is going to trade the captain of the defense, maybe its the captain asking out.

Vilma's talents are being wasted in the 3-4.
    and being that the Lions run the Tampa 2, I believe Vilma would have to be included in this deal.

13. All Star

All Star Active Member

We don't need a WR though, what's wrong with Coles?

To create 2 holes on a team (along with a 1st rounder) for one unproven player is rediculous...........

To give up Vilma and possible even a first to move up and get Adrian Peterson I really could see though (To get Joe Thomas though? I would cry)...........

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'd swap Coles, the 25 and a 2nd for the 2 only if it was to pickup Quinn. Even then it'd be a very dicey deal for the Jets.

Adrian Petersen is just asking for a knee and a wipeout with that much value on the other side of the deal.

Maybe Coles, the 25 and Kellen Clemens for Quinn? I could live with that.

The only reason I give this rumor any credence at all is Matt Millen's WR habit. A lot of people in Detroit think he's going to take Calvin Johnson on the 2. Those people all want him to trade out of the slot fast before he screws things up again. The Lions should just take Quinn of course. Even getting burned on Harrington shouldn't stop them from taking a potential franchise QB in that slot.

#74 Br4d, Mar 3, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  15. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I would do that in a heartbeat if they believe Quinn has the goods.

16. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

I hear Calvin Johnson is the kind of Game Breaker Game Changer that comes once in a generation. If that's the case, they can have Vilma and our #1...we can replace Vilma.

17. jets94nj

jets94nj Active Member

probowl= popularity bowl. dont mean to much anymore

18. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I don't think I would give up Coles. I think he just has too much heart on gameday. That's something that you don't get from the "super talented" WR's in the NFL today. And its something you can't replace. IMO

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The last guys in that "once-in-a-generation" category at wide receiver were Randy Moss and Larry Fitzgerald. Neither of them changed the altitude level that their teams played at. The Vikings did have one great year with Moss before their QB retired, but as soon as he was gone the team went right back to where it was pre-Moss. Larry Fitzgerald? Great, great receiver. The Cards? Right where they were when they drafted him. Wide receivers just don't make that much of a difference until everyhting else is in place.

OL first, then QB, then WR and RB. That's how you build a great offense.

20. Drew

Drew Active Member

He also stated that he doesn't want to play much longer. I remember reading it after season's end. I think he's trying to take the Tiki route as well.

And with Cotch locked up we have a good receiver who we won't be losing anytime soon.