John Clayton reports the Jets/Lions are talking trade for the number 2 pick.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joe W. Namath, Mar 3, 2007.

1. curtisstaysforever28

ya those 2 WRs should have been left out of his arguement but i still agree with him. dont trade for johnson. if we do this, which i cant see happening, we should go for peterson

2. falcon4e

falcon4e Member

Coles is 29. By the time the Jets start rolling he'll be towards the end of his career.. And if Vilma doesn't fit the Mangini system.. he's gone.

3. Drew

Drew Active Member

If it's for Adrian Peterson, then I say without a doubt you have to pull the trigger.

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Guys this very well might be a move up for Quinn. Remember the connection between Weis & Mangini and Weiss has stated on nemorous occasions that he feels Quinn is gonna be a great NFL QB.. I don't see our FO moving up that high for anyone else other than Quinn.

5. jets94nj

jets94nj Active Member

if we get rid of vilma we better sign porter. and i dont even wanna think of trading coles. i cant stand these stupid ideas. why create a hole at wr or lb to draft a rb?

6. curtisstaysforever28

what the hell does that mean. "he doesnt fit the mangini system"

he's our best linebacker i cant imagine trading him. i could only see the jets doin this if they were to bring in Joey Porter thru FA but he's gonna want too much money

7. Joe W. Namath

Joe W. Namath New Member

I have a feeling Vilma is asking to be traded. Last year he had 113 tackles - 50 less tackles than the previous year.
    He had 0 sacks, 1 int, 1 forced fumble.

You can expect stats like this next year as well.

He knows that he is up for a new contract in a few years and with numbers like this, he will not get paid like he should.

If he goes to a 4-3 team now. Dominates like he can in that scheme. He will get a huge payday.

Regardless of what we think as fans, its all about getting paid.

He is wasting his talents in a 3-4. There is nothing to be ashamed about either.He need to be in the middle of a 4-3 and it looks like Mangini is trying to grant his wish.

NOW GET THE NUMBER 2 PICK ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Oh God, oh dear Lord don't say that! :grin:

9. LockDown24

LockDown24 Active Member

If we sign Joey Porter then I guess I could live with Vilma leaving, but other than that I don't like this deal one bit.

10. falcon4e

falcon4e Member

I agree.. and I love Vilma. But if Vilma doesn't fit.. he'll end up being a cap cut in 2 years anyway.. the Jets probably aren't going to make a huge move up this year (I expect them to take some steps back) and getting a guy like Calvin Johnson is exactly what this team could do. He's young.. and could be around for years and could be the top receiver in the game. Couple that with Kellen Clemens if he pans out and the Jets got an exciting offense for the future... the line will get better w/ D'Brick and Mangold.. The FO has to think about it.

11. jets94nj

jets94nj Active Member

EXACTLY... man i feel bad for whoever gets stuck on detriot.

12. Drew

Drew Active Member

I can see a deal for Porter if this does indeed happen. As much as I love Vilma, I'd rather have Peterson, Johnson, or as Vision pointed out Quinn, someone who can bring that big play ability to the offense anytime they are on the field (moreso Peterson and Johnson) which is something we have lacked for a long time.

Do it.

13. KleckoNamathToon

In Tangini I trust.

14. curtisstaysforever28

ok this answers my question about vilma not being the right kind of guy for mangini's system so sorry for yelling at whoever i yelled at cuz now that i see what ur saying i sort of agree with u. but if they do this they better bring in porter. i wouldnt mind seeing banta-cain as well as porter in green and white next year.

and if we do this do u think the jets would go after some of the wrs in FA...ie joe horn?? thoughts?? o and this is assuming they also trade coles

15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I'll tell you one thing, I would understand that move more than a trade up for a RB or WR. You win with great QBs ..

16. falcon4e

falcon4e Member

He is our best linebacker.. but if his talents are going to be wasted in the 3-4 when he probably is better as a 4-3 player, its better to pull the trigger in order to get a potentially game changing player for the future. It's not just about the Jets being in the Bowl in 2007 (which I would love) but to better position ourselves for the future. If Mangini is gonna stay and it sure looks like he will.. and Vilma doesn't fit..then might as well trade him unfortunately.

17. curtisstaysforever28

ya ya i gotcha i gotcha, i agree with u.

18. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

Vilma Is The QB OF THE DEFENSE...HE'S MANGINI'S GENERAL ON THE FIELD, MAKING ALL THE CALLS AND DOING ALL THE INVISIBLE CLEAN-UP WORK. HOW IS HE NOT MANGINI'S GUY?

WHY MUST THE JETS ALWAYS GIVE SOMEONE UP TO GET SOMEONE BACK? WE LOSE MOSS TO GET COLES, NOW YOU WANT TO GIVE AWAY TWO OF OUR ONLY REGULAR POSITION PRO BOWLERS FOR A COUPLE OF LIONS AND ROOKIES?

#38 GSourJr, Mar 3, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  19. jets94nj

jets94nj Active Member

is that a quote from clayton mentioning vilma or coles or was that ur thought?

20. falcon4e

falcon4e Member

I don't think the Jets will trade up for Brady Quinn after drafting Kellen Clemens last year. Especially when they could've had Leinart or Cutler last year. It'll probably be for Adrian Peterson or Calvin Johnson (I'm thinking more Calvin Johnson)