Vilma news - Washinton Times

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Justwinit, Mar 1, 2007.

1. hermitkid

hermitkid New Member

FYI, Washington has made a ton of room restructuring and extending a number of deals. They have the ammo to make a play for a top tier free agent and several vets.

2. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Why is trading Vilma even a Discussion?
    1 Year @ the 3-4 and you guys are ready to throw out one of the Best young talented LB's in the NFL...

Vilma is the Man.
    Shame on you all.

3. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

VIlma for Portis straight up.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

That's what Washington wants. The Jets have not responded at all.

5. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Exactly. In the end of all of this I don't see Vilma leaving. Anyone doing something for the first time may have difficulty with it. In this case, Vilma had difficulty with the 3-4 Defense. I think he will be used it to next season.

I hope Vilma is a Jet for years to come. I don't see how a trade for, say, Portis, is good for the Jets. But we'll see what happens.

6. Dr. Christian Troy

Dr. Christian Troy New Member

I still don't buy the "Vilma doesn't fit the 3-4" argument for trading this guy. I understand a defense is only as good as having the right players for a particular scheme. But people are already giving up on Vilma being able to adjust after only one year? I think Vilma CAN and WILL adjust. If he shows improvement, we're on the right track. If he doesn't improve, THEN consider the possibility. 3 years is about the right time for an audition i nthe NFL. After the 3rd year, if it's not working, count your blessings and move on.
    Obviously, if a team is willing to give up two first rounders for any player, you have to think about it. But will you ever have an opportunity to draft a Vilma-type player (who's full potential we haven't even seen yet) with either of those picks?

7. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

I said it once I said it 1,000 times. WE WILL NOT TRADE VILMA!!!! He's our defensive leader.

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

You could say it a million times but obviously our FO feels different than you do. They won't trade him because they can't get the value for him that they want, not from lack of trying.

9. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Or the exact opposite. Teams could be asking for him and we could be turning them down because we don't want to get rid of Vilma.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I can remember uttering these same words 3 years in a row, and every single one, Big Boy Danny Snyder went out and spent to his heart's content after cutting a few players and getting his cap wizards to sacrifice a goat. I won't hold my breath this year.

11. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

That would be a foolish statement. If the CS feel that getting rid of a top tier player like Vilma to improve our core overall, I think they would pull the trigger.

12. Br4d

Vilma is not going anywhere. That window of opportunity has passed and I think the Jets will go into next season with him in the middle again. I expect them to make a major effort to find a NT and a DE in the draft though. There'll be 2 first day picks in the defensive front 7 next season, just like there were 2 first day picks on the offensive line this year.

13. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Why is that window closed exactly? There is a long way to go in NFL terms from now till training camp. Expecially around draft time, and after F/A is when the majority of those trades come into full swing.

I just think it would be silly to try to completely rule out the idea of it. Expecially with how strongly those rumors are still lingering around in the media. Again.. I really, really hope he is a Jet come next season, but I cant possibly say it is a closed issue.

14. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Valid points but by trading Vilma now, (if we are going to continue with the 3-4) will give us leverage and value. I agree that after 1 year we shouldn't be throwing the baby out with the bath water just yet , but if after next season he still doesn't get it , do we THEN trade him or give him another year?
    What we see is what the rest of the league sees , hopefully 1 of 2 things will happen , Vilma makes the switch or next season there are more 4-3 Ds wanting an ILB.

15. Br4d

The idea is not ruled out but the facts are that the teams the Jets have targetted in looking to acquire talent for Vilma have essentially low-balled the Jets or indicated a lack of interest.

The rumors we hear flying around are ancient by now. They've been circulating for months in some cases. Late last season you saw the Portis for Vilma rumors pop up. That was the Redskins first probe. Then about a month ago you saw the Betts for Vilma rumors. That was the Redskins second attempt, at a slightly lower value. There is no third offer coming, the ball is in the Jet's court now and the Redskins have clearly indicated where they stand. If I was Tannenbaum and Mangini I'd just fold up the tent and go home and start planning for next season and how to make the Jets better.

16. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

As far as dealing with the skins , the Jets hold all the cards. I think they must have the least leverage in the entire league. Let them sweat it out.