For those defending the 2nd tier signings...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cotch, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Big Cotch

Big Cotch Banned

What 2nd tier signings have we ever made that have worked out for us? By worked out, I mean, started for over 2 years and, played well, not resulting in a big cap hit. Other than Pete Kendal, and maybe Barton, lets hear what you 2nd tier advocates have to say about this list of dopes.

conway, D abraham, mcglocton, cowart, tongue, legree, pope, fiedler, barlow, ramsey, blaylock, kimo, teague, dwight, nutten, barrett, hamilton etc.

It's this list of guys that make some fans worry about missing out on quality players. Sure, these teams paid a lot- but they're getting immense talent, and they will not have a rotation of new bums every season, trying to fill the same holes year after year. It doesn't make you less of a fan, or an uneducated fan if you want to spend some cash on a quality player that will give you some good years.

2. falcon4e

falcon4e Member

Trust The Penguin.

3. Big Cotch

Big Cotch Banned

If I do, it won't be due to ANY of last years FA signings. NONE of them did a thing for us long term, and 1 had a half decent season-- Clement.

#3 Big Cotch, Mar 3, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Agreed.

5. Big Cotch

Big Cotch Banned

I'm assuming these responses mean that you agree, and can't name any good 2nd tier signings other than those I named.

6. Long & Winding Rhode

AAAAHHHH!!! ITS 23 HOURS INTO FREE AGENCY AND WE HAVEN'T SIGNED ANYONE!!! ITS OVER! WE MIGHT AS WELL JUST PACK IN THE SEASON NOW!

give me a break...

7. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Enough about this "second tier free agent" crap...

It's been said too many times, and I for one still believe in building a team through the draft and signing solid free agents that won't break the bank. New England hasn't made many elite tier free agent signing over the past years, and look where it got them for example.

The Redskins have signed more elite level free agents than any other team over the past 5 years by far, and look where it's gotten them.

I have plenty of faith in Mangini/Tannenbaum's decisions... Especially after their brilliant draft last season. :beer:

#7 JetFanInPA, Mar 3, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  8. Big Cotch

Big Cotch Banned

first time anyone posted that one! This wasn't meant to be a bash thread-- just maybe shedding some light on those like you, who swear that 2nd tier guys are the way to go, when I have a list of 17 signings who say otherwise. can you answer the question? What 2nd tier guys made us better in the last few years?

Also, in trying to be a comedian, your math was wrong- 25 hours.

9. Big Cotch

Big Cotch Banned

does the post not make sense? were those guys good signings? did we make other good singings with 2nd tier players? Prove me wrong, don't just bitch about the thread-- make me eat my words.

10. Big Cotch

Big Cotch Banned

SOMEONE PLEASE COME ON HERE AND PROVE THIS THREAD TO BE INACCURATE

11. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

You guys who are advocating a big move should also realize that we have all our starters back next season except for RT and FB. After going 10-6 with young talent there really insn't much of a need to sign a big FA. Instead we should focus on a solid starter and depth.

12. Long & Winding Rhode

Anyone can overpay for a stud FA. Where teams win championships is by finding diamonds in the rough, either in the draft or FA. Actually, most great teams build through great drafting anyway. How did the Colts get their Superbowl caliber team? The draft. The Bears? Same. Patriots? You get where I'm going.

Now, how have the Redskins done?

The way to build a great team is through great drafting, great manipulation of the salary cap, and adding a key FA here and there.

13. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

i think you guys fail to realize. Porter Just Won a SB last year. i dont see how his addition could hurt unless he gets hurt.. but aint that the case for every player on this team?.

14. Big Cotch

Big Cotch Banned

gaping holes at rt, de, cb, rb, below average guards, lb's who don't fit-- with safety, te, wr who could all be upgraded-- then we need depth to boot!

15. falcon4e

falcon4e Member

I agree w/ you. The Jets do have several holes. I don't think they'd finish with a 10-6 record next year. Personally, I think they'll take a few steps back inorder to take a leap forward in the future

16. Long & Winding Rhode

And to name a 2nd tier FA signing that worked, how bout that Ben Graham fellow? Oh ya, and what about CMart?

17. falcon4e

falcon4e Member

Wait.. are you referring to Curtis Martin? As in C-Mart?

Because if you are.. he wasn't a "second tier" free agent signing.

18. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

Cmart 2nd tier? in what world?

19. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

With all those gaping holes its really a surprise we went 10-6. I'll refute a few of the positions you named above.

DE: We have Shaun Ellis on one side who played well in his first year in the 3-4. We have a little bit of a hole on the other side but I wouldn't call it gaping. The DE spot in the 3-4 isn't as important in a pass rushing capacity as it is in the 4-3.

G: This is just plain wrong. Pete Kendell is an extremely good guard on the left side. He is the leader of our line and a strong veteran prescence. The other side is weaker but is not anywhere near "gaping".

To tell you the truth I don't feel like refuting this anymore because I just thought of something else. If we supposevly have all these "gaping holes" why are we going to sign one big name FA and take up all our money. According to your statement above we need to upgrade about half the positions on the field which means we should spread the money around. Basically that blows up your whole statement that we should sign a big name FA.

20. Big Cotch

Big Cotch Banned

Buddy, it's not an either or situation-- what, do we lose our picks if we sign a FA? You can do both! the skins are such an extreme, and played out example-- they trade away their picks every year, and sign 2nd tier guys to 1st tier $$ That's why they suck. Anyway, the bears signed names like muhummed, and jones to fill their obvious holes, and it worked! The pats and colts-- hmmm what do they have in common? AMAZING QB's!!! the best 2 in the NFL!! and what did the pats just do??? Signed the guy you were just telling me we need to sign, just 2 days ago! Pick an argument and stick to it!! should I bring up the 400 times you said you wanted A Thomas?? Pretty much everyone else on this site wanted him, and is now playing sous grapes, and it's really pathetic.