Quick Team Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by -MC-, Jan 30, 2007.

1. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

There is not a single TE that caught for more then 60 yards per game last season, and only the three guys I mentioned reached 50. For WR's? 26 hit the 60+ mark and 39 hit the 50+ mark.

Point? When you need a receiver, you're going to get a much better receiver from the WR position, unless you have an absolute physical freak at TE (like Gates, Winslow, Gonzalez). Miller is not that freak. Guys like Witten and Clark are big, possession receivers that will catch 10 or 15 more passes then the next guy and contribute well to the blocking game, but I'm not sold that Miller can even be one of these guys.

Finally, Jay Cutler has a cannon for an arm, why get him another pure possession receiver to add to Scheffler, Alexander, Smith, etc. (everyone but Walker)?

2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

The Broncos would be foolish not to run two TE sets now that they have great depth there.

Who says that Miler isn't a big improvement?

Was Anthony Becht worth a first roudner?
    Didn't Doug Jolley look good when he was playing for Oakland?
    Weren't the Browns pisse when we took Kyle Brady over Sapp (who they could have drafted at # 13)?
    Wasn't Leonard Pope supposed to be a first rounder last year?

The truth is that no one knows how good Zach Miller is going to be (or Scheffler for that matter). From a value standpoint it was an amazing pick. Denver has two third rounders which gives them the luxury to take a guy like Miller and still have as many picks to fill there big needs as anyone else.

3. James Hasty

Donnie,

Take a look at the receivers that are still on the board. In this draft there is no need to take any receiver in the first two rounds unless you really love the guy. In round one, I would have taken Johnson or Jarrett. In round two I would have given four other guys a chance. Miller dropped to me, they didn't. I will still get a WR that will be an outstanding value in round three or four.

4. James Hasty

For those of you who wanted a WR here are Zach Miller's college stats:

Year GP Rec Yds YPC TD
    2004 12 56 552 9.9 6
    2005 10 38 476 12.5 4
    2006 13 50 484 9.7 4
    Totals 35 144 1,512 10.5 14

Over three years he averaged 48 catches per season and more than four catches per game. Many WRs aren't as productive as Miller.

5. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Here is my take on Round 1 yall, again nobody should get mad at these takes. I thought for the most part this was a nice draft all around and there were about a few mistakes here and there but all around(Especially the end picks) were quality picks. I will do Round 2 soon.....enjoy the BakerMaker's criqitue of picks and if you have problems with them just reply and I will say why I felt each of these grades

Round 1
    Oakland JaMarcus Russell QB LSU- I think this may result in me being a Quinn homer but Im not too big of A Russell fan. He's the ideal pick however for Oakland I guess just he will a tough road ahead and wont get the weapons and help like he did in LSU. Grade: B
    Detroit Joe Thomas Wisconsin: Solid pick, they have their QB who threw for a ton of yds in Kitna and they just didnt have a quality linemen who can help the line and pick up any guys who are down. Thomas even though he has questions with his durability, is a fine pick for Millen and Co.
    Grade: B+
    Cleveland Brady Quinn QB Notre Dame: Not sure if they grab a QB here considering all their other needs but they got the best QB of the draft IMO. Hometown kid coming to play for the Browns? Nice. He has a nice arm and is athletic....not like Russell but remember he GOT no time to do whatever with the crummy line of ND. Talent wise he was a nice pick, but idk if Cleveland takes a QB.
    Grade: B
    Tampa Bay Calvin Johnson WR Georgia Tech: Excellent move by Tampa...Clayton had a down year and Galloway is getting their in age. Quality pick from TB who needs help everywhere. Johnson a bit inconsistent but can you blame him? He worked with Ball as a QB in GT. Johnson has some dynamic play making ability
    Grade: A+
    Arizona Laron Landry S LSU: Not a bad pick but I would see them getting someone up front rather than Landry IMO especially with Wilson as one of the two safeties. They could use Landry but they could use a frontline guy to help Berry out.
    Washington Alan Branch DT Michigan: Love the pick. Washington became soft as tissue last season and this was because of no pressure of front. And what better way to adress this? Get a big man who can work well and stuff up the middle. His work ethic has been questions but Gibbs can handle it.
    Minnesota Jamaal Anderson DE Arkansas: I never got how Anderson shot up so high, but you cant knock Minn for adressing this glaring need of clear pass rush. I think Adams is better than this combine warrior personally but Anderson isnt bad and fits in Childress and Co's plans. I think they could have used a WR here but with no CJ left, you cant blame them for not reaching for a WR.
    Grade: B-
    Houston Adrian Peterson RB Oklahoma: Awesome pick for sure but just one knock here....Domanick Williams isnt exactly THAT bad. Maybe a CB to compliment Robinson or some safety help could have worked here better but Peterson has an explosion and the Texan fanbase would get awfully pissed for skipping the two premier RB's of each class.
    Miami Gaines Adams DE Clemson: Underrated pick, some people may hate this pick because this isnt an immediate pick but seriously that Miami frontline on the D is OLD as bones. I think getting Adams here was a steal and I would hate Miami if they got him he has a quick burst and can defend both the run and pass well. You can say they need some help on the offense sure but this move will pay dividend in the years ahead when Taylor, Holiday and co. will be out.
    Grade: A
    Atlanta Reggie Nelson S Florida: With Landry going so high Atlanta was put in a spot where they had to. Nelson is a ballhawk and was a major reason of that Florida Gator championship D. He doesnt need to hit hard like Landry to make an impact, he can work well in cover schemes and can sniff out runs too and blitz precisely as well.
    San Francisco Amobi Okoye DT Louisville- Meh cant argue with this pick especially since he's only 19 years of age and can only get better. I think they could go after a CB like Hall here or a WR like Jarrett personally here but no problems with me here on the Okoye pick.
    Buffalo Patrick Willis LB Ole Miss: Another one of those underrated picks here. Some see it as reach but Buffalo showed us that they can reach and still grab themselves someone great(Whitner). Willis is an emotional leader and with Fletcher as good as gone that D can sure as hell use someone like this who rallied families during Hurricane Katrina. He can play both OLB and MLB, which is very important with Spikes being often hurt nowadays. Versitile as hell.
    St Louis Paul Poslunsky LB Penn St: Uhhh why man when so many other options like Timmons, Carriker and Jarrett/Ginn Jr are still on the board. Paul is a leader and a sure as hell nice guy but his knees are fragile and he's small for his position in the NFL. Could have gotten much better value with this pick. Dont like this pick at all, nor would some of the Ram fans.
    Grade: F
    Carolina Lawrence Timmons LB Florida St: Alright pick I guess as the Panthers were left with not much of a choice with Willis, Landry and Nelson all gone. Timmons is another guy who acts like a workout warrior but he adresses a need for the Panthers who's D was lazy and lackluster in 06.
    Pittsburgh Levi Brown OT Penn St: They defintely need help on that D-Line more than anything else in the world. I just dont think Tomlin will make a O-Line pick as his statement as new head coach. Pitt would probably take Carriker at this point of the draft but Brown isnt a bad pick. He can stuff well just he's very inexperienced at his position and he's a bit of a project. Just this is a weak draft for linemen so Brown's status gets pumped up...
    Grade: C+
    Green Bay Marshawn Lynch RB Cal.: Nice pick as they get a RB with Green and his injury prone body all but gone. Lynch has some character issues but he will settled down with Favre around and he will be a workhorse for a vastly improved O-Line. Some may want a WR or CB at this spot but Lynch is an all around nice pick
    Jacksonville Adam Carriker DE Nebraska: I think they get Ginn Jr here with their WR core looking pale but then again they drafted WR's in the 1st round like flies. Carriker works here too but that D-Line is so stacked already with two pro bowlers that they didnt need to strike right away. But they struck well as Carriker is a beast in the trenches and has been great not just in the season but in the practices. Have no problem with this pick.
    Cincinnati Jarvis Moss DE Florida: Not a needed pick at all for DE. I understand they had problems on D but that comes from the probs at CB and DT, NOT DE. Moss is a talent and a good guy which is what Cincy needs but what they truly need is a horse upfront to replace the agining Sam Adams or a CB who's healthy to help Joseph since O Neal may be coming to an end for his career. Hall or Revis would be ideal in Cincy.
    Grade: C
    Tenn. Dwayne Jarrett WR USC: They had some more needs like on D before going with WR's but with Bennett's status unsure of Jarrett isnt a bad pick. He's talented but inconsistent and would work well with Young since he has a big frame and can help pull in throws that are low due to Young's delivery. I think Tenn would take the falling Hall here but Jarrett isnt necessarily a crummy pick.
    New York Giants Darvelle Revis CB Pitt.: Nice pick and all, but Leon Hall was on the board still? I guess the Giants GM thinks that they can knock two birds with one stone here with Morton gone too, needing a kick returner and all. As good as Revis is, Giants could have grabbed themselves the top CB of this class.
    Denver Leon Hall CB Michigan: Despite the tragedy of Darrent Williams, Denver didnt exactly need a CB and didnt need to go and grab the falling Leon Hall. Moses wouldent be too bad of a pick around here or maybe Ginn Jr with Rod Smith aging and aging and aging again. CB could wait for for a 3rd round pick, not 1st round pick IMO
    Dallas Ted Ginn Jr. WR Ohio St: So many CB's around this place and Grubbs would be alright here too, they didnt have to go and get a WR this early IMO. Ginn Jr would not fit with Romo and in Wade Phillips's Dallas Run team. Glenn, Clayton and T.O. will be fine for another year or two, Ginn wouldent see much time if picked here
    Kansas City Dwayne Bowe WR LSU: With the quality DT's and O-Linemen just about gone, I can understand the need to go after a WR but I dont like Bowe as a prospect overall since he works with so much talent and I think Sidney Rice would be the 4th WR taken off the boards. Rice has such speed and ability to break for the long run that he would be a top fit there in KC.
    New England Quentin Moses DE/OLB Georgia: I think Moses gets too much crap despite a letdown year but this isnt a typical Belichick type of guy so that may not be a fit in NE. Moses would in all likelihood play OLB for the Pats which is a need with Seau just about done and Cain about to part ways with NE in all likelihood. I think they could go after a more pure LB though. Not bad of a pick though I do say that, Moses has talent and can pass rush well when motivated.

#465 BakerMaker, Feb 21, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  6. BakerMaker

New York Jets Justin Blalock OL Texas: A tadbit of a reach but nothing too major. Blalock is a quality linemen who is ready to jump in and protect just I dont know if mangini and Co can get away with THREE linemen picked in Round 1 in their 2 year tenture. Its smart but the city will be a bit mad about the lack of star power picked. I wouldent mind Justin as a Jet, but I get a feeling we can see his name picked with the early 2nd round pick. A CB would have been a better shot here in Round 1.
    Philadelphia Michael Griffin S Texas: Griffin is a bit of a reach here but the lack of safeties available makes this guy a must grab here for Philly. Griffin from Texas can help defend nicely and has the agility and athletism to get himself back up and back into the play. He works hard and thats something Reid appreciates out of his players.
    New Orleans Aaron Ross CB Texas: Nice pick here and there isnt much of a difference here between CB's Ross, Houston and Hughes here. New Orleans's CB's were exposed by rex Grossman of all QB's so you know there's a problem there. Ross has a nice read of the ball from the snap and has a nice frame to cover. Solid pick considering what was on the board and what not.
    New England Sidney Rice WR South Carolina: I think they get themselves a CB around here but A slipping quality WR like Rice coming here works very nicely too. Rice is solid and could be the 2nd best WR out of this entire draft IMO. People knock on him for the Spurrier happy pass offense he plays in but he does so much more than just catch and score. He breaks up bad passes, he has good awareness in the field and is FAST. Solid pick.
    Baltimore Ben Grubbs OL Auburn: GREAT pick here with the big stuffer, Grubbs. The line is clearly beaten and battered left and right in Balt and it had a toll on the offense, especially the running game. Grubbs who is notorious for helping out RB's Williams, Brown and Irons in his tenture at Auburn, is a definite answer for McNair and Co. at Balt. They may get their RB game going because of this pick
    San Diego Robert Meachem WR Tenn.: Gets what they were looking for, A WR with Rice and Bowe gone. I do see Meriweather or Weddle going here but Meachem isnt a bad pick at all considering he was int he top 5 in WR's yds last season. He has steady hands and can run solid routes, and would be utilized well in the Turner offense. Good pick considering what was on the board.
    Chicago Greg Olsen TE Miami(Fla): No need for a TE with Clark around who Bear fans and Lovie Smith like alot. He's an underrated posession TE and can block too. They wont need to turn their attention to the hothead Olsen but rather grab themselves a OT like Ugoh or Staley.
    Grade: D+
    Indy John Beason LB Miami(Fla): Beason works well here, so does Pitcock. Either one would help the defending champs but with the possible departure of June the Beason pick would help lead to a nice replacement here. Nice pick here.

#466 BakerMaker, Feb 21, 2007
  7. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Raiders take Bush, discuss

8. James Hasty

Bakermaker, please add the name of the player to your rankings. It will make them much easier to understand.

twombles_62 Bush is a very good value where you took him and the Raiders could use a RB. Nice pick.

9. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

Yes, I conquer, swell pick indeed.

10. James Hasty

First lets look at Pittsburgh. Their starting RT is a free agent and they took the second best OT in the draft. By the time the Steelers picked again in round two Staley, Ugoh, and Sears were gone as well. While Carriker was the sexy pick, this was the one and only chance the Steelers had to get a starting OT in this draft.

As for Denver, I liked Hall enough to take him even though I forgot that Denver's starting CB taken in round two in 2005 had been killed. With that tidbit, I would say that starting CB is a bigtime need. You gave the G-Men a B and criticized them for passing on Hall. I get the guy one pick later and earn a C+.

I think a lot of you guys are really hung up on the team needs charts. There are many ways to build a mouse trap. Most playoff teams have an achilles heal somewhere that their strength at other positions helps them to cover up. I don't contest that both teams need DL help but both first round picks were solid.

11. BakerMaker

I wasnt really knocking the overall pick of Pitt as you went after a need, but rather I am not a fan of Brown who's still new to his position. I think he's a project so he wont come in as an immediate help for a team that are only a few pieces away from making another playoff stride.

Giants have a clear need for CB though, and while Hall is smaller he has more skill and talent. Denver had some other needs before CB, and could manage with the CB's they have right now. Rod Smith is starting to age and Brendan Marshall I dont know can become a 2nd WR in this league yet. 2-3 talented Wr's were in the spots you had and you grabbed a unecessary part.

12. BakerMaker

Will do the 2nd round soon....

13. jetsfan119

jetsfan119 New Member

BakerMaker. Im the Texans GM and you somewhat knocked the Texans pick of peterson. I think it deserves an A. and it is Dominick Davis, not Williams. He is done, possibly for his careear. Peterson is a great pick up and will be the franchise player.

14. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Actually it is Williams. He changed it after the season (no joke)

15. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

I'm targeting a kid that might go in the first round after the combine. :up:
    im not mentioning his name, so people dont realize hes still available.

16. BakerMaker

Round 2
    Oakland Joe Staley OL Central Michigan: Oakland needs their linemen and in high demand but there were a few better ones skipped like Ugoh and Sears so thats the lone question mark as far as this pick went. Cant hate Oakland for adressing this glaring need however.
    Detroit Josh Beekman OL Boston College: I think the two linemen as their first two picks is solid and not bad. Normally Millen would never do this so I dont know how much truth this would merit but Beekman is a typical BC linemen who just comes into the NFL and makes an impact. Nice pick here with a glaring need being A quality Guard
    Tampa Bay Quinn Pitcock DT/DE Ohio St: He may be the ''boring'' pick and he got dominated a bit in the national game but he's a stedy defender. Doesnt have much potential however but he's what TB needs with the trade of McFarland, A big body up front to clear space.
    Cleveland- Ryan Kalil C USC- Im normally never too big of a fan of taking centers so high but you have to make an exception here with LeCharles Bentley's career potentially winding down and the Brown trading their old center to the Saints, and watched him flourish there. Khalil manned a top notch OL which had some intriguing players like Sam Baker.
    New York Jets LeMarr Woodley DE/OLB Michigan: I think this is a reach again here but I'm as big of a Woodley fan on here. He is getting creamed in the workouts though and has a small body so there are questions here. Woodley however produced at the college level and admitts a ton of pressure all around. I think he is grabable at the next Jets pick however.
    Arizona: Victor Abiamiri DE ND: As an Irish fan who sees this guy every week, let me tell you he doesnt impact much. He shows up every 3-5 plays and you dont hear from him again. Still Ari gets their linemen to apply pass pressure just I dont know about Abiamiri here, he seems like a typical Card player of the old. I dont know if Whisenhunt wants those type of guys
    Houston: Marcus McCauley CB Fresno St.: I am not a big fan of McCauley at all since he had a letdown year and didnt really play against top passing teams at Fresno St. Houston adresses that beaten down secondary however and get themselves a kid who has the ideal body to play CB for them.
    Miami: Aaron Sears OT Tenn: Nice pick here with Miami aching for some O-Line help. Sears is a big big man who can get inside and make a prescence with his running and ability to pick up the blitz.
    Minnesota: Trent Edwards QB Stanford: Very questionable pick here IMO they drafted their go to QB in Tavaris Jackson in the 2nd round last year and seem high on him. Edwards didnt exactly lead Stanford to promise in his years there which is a turn off for Brad Childress. I have Stanton ranked higher even. Minn needed a WR or TE big time, Miller would have been the go to pick IMO here.
    Grade: D-
    San Francisco: Ikaika Alama-Francis DE Hawaii: IDEAL pick here for the 49ers, Francis is a hardworker and puts countless pressure on the QB most of the time. He can play a ton of roles in D and can lead with example. Great pick for Nolan and Crew.
    Buffalo: Tony Ugoh OT Arkansas : OL is always valued just they needed a OG more so than another OT with some of the guys like Pennington developing nicely. Hughes or Houston would have been a tadbit better picks here but Ugoh has some intense talent.
    Atlanta: Charles Johnson DE Georgia: Ahh hometown kid picked. Johnson outperformed his counterpart Moses big time in the senior year and does the opposite of what he does as he excels in run pressure rather than pass pressure. Perfect compliment to John Abraham and will be needed with all those guys being injured on the front line.
    Carolina: Brandon Meriweather S Miami(Fla.): Carolina gets their safety which was well needed and Meriweather is as good as the others. Just questions of his work ethic and attitude hurt him. But if on the right page, Fox may have found himself someone that will be haunting teams for years.
    Pittsburgh Eric Weddle S/CB/WR Utah: Good ol' Mr. versitility. Again I dont know if Pitt can exactly afford to wait on these projects to develop in a few years but Weddle is a nice one to take on. He is smart, athletic and can be the Troy Brown of Pitt. He can plug in every position Pitt needs help in and do it moderately well.
    Green Bay Daymeion Hughes CB Cali: Surprised with the fall here even though Hughes does turn off some people with his slowness. Hughes is big kid however and can get to the ball on every play passed against him by the QB. Green Bay had a swiss cheese secondary for the most part and this was a nice pickup for them, as it could move Charles Woodson back to the Safety spot.
    Jacksonville: Drew Stanton QB Mich St: While he is inconsistent, Stanton can play real well at times and I can understand the pick herefor Jax though I think they should still somehow get their hands on a WR or FS sometime in this draft. I dont know if Leftwich will leave Jax either but if so they have the replacement here.
    Cincinnati Chris Houston CB Arkansas: Big bounceback pick here as Houston is a steal around this area and can play very well. With O Neal often getting hurt or in trouble this was a well needed pick to help fellow SEC ballhawk Johnathan Joseph out.
    Tenn. Samson Satele OL Hawaii: Still of a need for a FS, CB or DE, Tenn ignores all 3 and grabs a unknown kid but a kid who can play a ton of positions on a old line manned by Mawae. Hawaii usually produces maulers as O-Line but there were a few guys that could have been had here by Tenn.
    New York Giants Earl Everett LB Florida: Big part of that championship team, Everett was responsible for playcalling and getting the right audibles in. Still though NYG could have gotten themselves a RB like Bush, Irons or Hunt here or maybe a DT around this spot. Safety works too here. Not a bad pick but others could have been picked here before and help NYG
    St Louis: Anthony Gonzalez WR Ohio St: Not a fan of this WR at all, sure he has steady hands but he put one of his egg of a games in the big game and he lacks true athletic ability to potentially be a star for a team. St Louis again who cannot stop the run needs a NT or DE, somebody to get pressure on the running backs and QB's.
    Dallas Tanard Jackson CB Syracuse: Nice pick here, Jackson isnt a bad prospect but he does get his fair share of burns. Dallas was in a need for a young CB and Wade Phillips will know what to do with him when picked by Dallas.
    Kansas City DeMarcus Tyler DT North Carolina St: He has work ethic questions and has some problems with the police but what better place to go to then Herm's Chiefs who are nothing but motivational? Tyler provides the biggest need of KC, a younger and faster DT since Reed wasnt the answer there. He's a 1st round talent but his head is up in the air. Herm could help him though
    Seattle Aaron Rouse S Va Tech.: He's a nice pick and all at this stage but Seattle didnt really need a FS, or a Safety at all. Rather they could have used a TE like Miller or OG. He works hard though and can be of use if their secondary gets beaten down just so many more needs for Seattle.
    Grade: C-
    Denver Zach Miller TE Arizona St: Denver has no need for a TE at all and especially one who's a clear threat as a WR/TE but not as a blocker. Shanahan MUST have his TE being able to defend the blitz and block well and Miller hasnt shown that ability in college. Questionable call here with Spencer and Harrell still on the board and could provide DL help for Denver. He can catch well no doubt but he just wouldent fit in the plans of Denver
    Grade: D-
    Philadelphia Brandon Siler LB Florida: He got overshadowed by his fellow LB talent but he can play just as good as them. I think there were a few better guys on the board available but its alright. Siler isnt bad at all and could replace their old OLB and increase the depth on there.
    New Orleans: Buster Davis LB Florida St: One of the biggest heists of the draft IMO. Davis has so much value and I think this was a quality pick for the Saints in this draft. Davis hits hard and can read plays well and call the right audibles for each scrimmage. Good job by Payton and Co.
    New York Jets: Justin Harrell DL Tenn: Not a flashy pick but it was a much needed pick for sure for the Jets who hunger for DL. My only knock is that he isnt a true DT and could have struggles in this type of D as a DT.
    New England John Wendling S Wyoming: They really had to get themselves a CB somewhere in this draft as they got the DE/OLB and WR taken care of. Sure Harrison has been banged of lately but they need a Samuel replacement soon. Wendling came out of nowhere but Belichick usually drafts these unknown kids who have solid smarts and a knack for the game.
    Baltimore H.B. Blades LB Pitt.: A very small LB for his position, he's not a great pick here with the 3 RB's left around for Balt. Balt could have done better especially with their great 1st round pick.

#476 BakerMaker, Feb 21, 2007
  17. BakerMaker

San Diego Brian Leonard FB Rutgers: Not only do I not think Leonard should be in the 2nd round but this isnt the right team for him IMO. Neal, Gates and LT all are ahead of him and wont be falling down any soon so Leonard will get in for 1-2 plays and thats it and as a 2nd rounder thats not a good thing. He does remind people of Cooley sure but he wouldent be of service here with the Chargers.
    Grade: F
    Chicago Doug Datish OL: As I was told in the draft thread, this man can play all spots which is something Chicago CRAVED for so this was a nice pick considering that. He became the center with Mangold's departure which shows how much character he has. Chicago bounced back nicely after their 1st rounder.
    Draft: B+
    Tampa Bay Ray McDonald DE Florida: Cant go wrong with some of these Gators but they got their linemen fix already with Pitcock so they could have used a LT or S here rather than stockpile. I cant blame them with their D-Line aging and all but they need some retooling for the O-Line if anything.

#477 BakerMaker, Feb 21, 2007
  18. BakerMaker

The thing also I forgot to mention is Peterson's injury questions and if he can handle 25-35 carries per game. He doesnt work with a top notch line in Houston as well like he did in Oklahoma.

19. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

i just wanted to make sure i got woodley, and hes not small 6-2/275. will be a good pass rusher for us.

and harrell will play DE in the 3-4, he reminds me alot of ellis.

20. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

Great analysis BakerMaker :up: Good stuff.