Quick Team Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by -MC-, Jan 30, 2007.

1. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

It is time to hear your comments and grades. GO!

2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Think again. The Broncos have two third rounders. There is plenty of talent left at positions of need for Denver. Please tell me how you would seriously consider passing either player up where Denver picked. I would love to know who you would have taken instead. They were very solid picks and I do have a plan.

Great players will always provide great value when they can start. Cover corner and tight end are tough positions to fill for any team. Putting Hall across from Bailey allows Denver to put an extra man in the box on every down. Miller will provide Citler with a big target that will move the chains and help keep Cutler healthy.

Speaking of front seven help, I can't believe that I passed on Buster Davis and he came as close as he did to my next pick. He was a great value for New Orleans.

3. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

Omg, I didnt even realize!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 4 pages in a row baby!

#443 jasonjets, Feb 20, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  4. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

Ok, I will tell you who I would pick. With your 2 picks, I would have picked Ted Ginn Jr. and Justin Harrell.

5. James Hasty

Lousy job? Are you kidding me?

First of all you need at least three decent CBs to stop teams with 3 and 4 receiver sets. Second of all, Foxworth is a good young player but Leon Hall is a legit first round stud CB that will make Denver a lot stronger on defense. Also, Foxworth can be traded if he has so much value.

Secondly, I remember the Patsies winning championships by drafting TEs when they already had a decent one on their roster. Zach Miller is a first round talent and should be able to help out right away. You can't go wrong having two talented tight ends for your offense. I don't remember the Colts passing on Reggie Wayne because they all ready had an all pro WR.

Teams that draft for value and have talented players competing for starting jobs will become winners while teams that draft the best player at the position of biggest need will continue to lose.

6. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

1st Bold: Yeah, but you had other needs, so you shouldnt adress a need unless all your other needs are filled. It is definitely good to have 3 good CB's, but it is not NEEDED.

2nd Bold: If someone has value that does not mean you trade them...

3rd Bold: That is because the Patriots had a solid roster, they could afford to get another TE. Also the Broncos dont run 2-TE sets ever.

4th Bold: That is because you NEED 2 WR. Had they had 2 all-pro WR's already, I doubt they would have drafted Wayne.

7. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Sorry, it's just that I would have done things a different way, no offense. Leon Hall and Zach Miller were good values, no doubt, but I personally am I believer in drafting for need for the most part. When I say drafting for need, I don't mean grabbing the BPA at the greatest position of need, but rather the BPA at any position of need. We have different draft strategies is all.

I can defend you're Leon Hall pick to a point I suppose, but I don't like the Zach Miller pick. Denver's WR core is sort of thin with Rod Smith entering his 15th or 16th season I believe. Their offensive line is aging at LT, C, RG and an upgrade at RT is needed. Their defensive line is solid, but they need some depth at DT. I personally would have gone with any of the above positions before Zach Miller. Tony Scheffler is a potential star at TE and Stephen Alexander is a nice multi-purpose veteran TE to compliment him.

New England was able to draft 2 TEs because they primarily run 2-TE sets, Daniel Graham was a free agent next season and they didn't have a whole lot of major needs to fill.

#447 JetFanInPA, Feb 20, 2007
  8. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

That is like how we drafted Kellen Clemens in the 2nd round this year. Would you want us to draft another QB this year in the 2nd round?

9. James Hasty

I would have taken Jarrett if he fell but I am not as high on Ginn. This draft is loaded at WR, I am not going to reach for the wrong guy just beacuse I could use someone at the position.

Harrell wouldn't have been a bad value where I picked in round two but Miller was too good to pass up. Also it is very ironic that WR is considered a need but I am criticized for taking a pass catching TE. Denver did draft a TE last year but he was a late second rounder (pick # 61) and is not listed as the starter according to ESPN's website. Make up your minds, do I need a receiver (yes a great TE can fill this need) or not?

10. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

I dont know if Ginn is the "wrong guy". Personally I think his speed and downfield receiving threat would be a good compliment to Javon Walker who is a big posession guy. Also just because the TE they drafted last year was not the starter, does not mean he is bad. I am sure they are intending him to be the starter. Also, WR's have the ball thrown to them A LOT more than a TE. A WR is COMPLETELY different than a pass catching TE, they are just different positions. It is like saying "it is very ironic that RB is considered a need but I am criticized for taking a speedy FB". It is basically the same thing. It is just the Broncos have a lot of areas they could improve on, and I think it is more important to draft for need, especially with a team like the Broncos looking to build for the future and to get to the upper echelon of the league, than to draft a position where you already are strong at.

11. James Hasty

Now you are just twisting things around to support a bad position. A backup QB never plays unless the starter is injured or replaced. A good player at any other position will ge playing time and make the team stronger as teams will rotate players to fit different schemes or to keep their players from getting tired. Also, teams routinely add as many as three TEs at a time or as many as four CBs at once. Both of my picks will most likely start and the players that they are replacing in the starting lineup will still be able to contribute.

12. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

But the Broncos dont run 2-TE sets...

It will be hurting them because they are not improving at any position. Drafting Miller to start over Scheffler is not that big of an improvement. And it hurts because you are wasting that pick on a minimal improvement rather than using it to improve greatly somewhere else.

#452 jasonjets, Feb 20, 2007
  13. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

The Leon Hall pick was great in my opinion, and is likely realistic since Shanahan has shown that they'll never draft DL or RB high. Bailey, Hall, and Foxworth is a very strong trio that locks down the Denver secondary.

But, I don't like the Zach Miller pick. Not only did they draft a talented young TE in Scheffler last year, but they also have a solid backup in Stephen Alexander. Miller's not much better then Scheffler anyway... With needs on the defensive front, WR, and RB (and solid value available at all three spots) the pick was subpar.

14. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

I agree, the Hall pick was not that bad, and was a steal for where he was drafted.

But the Miller pick was just bad, period.

15. DonnieIsTheKing

You do, but unless your TE is Gates, Winslow, or Gonzalez, he's not going to be anywhere's near as valuable as a WR. Miller does not have the receiving talent that any of the three have, not even close.

16. James Hasty

That is the difference in our draft philosophy. I will not take a player in round one just because he is the best player at a position that I "need" With free agency and seven rounds of drafting I will fill all of my needs in due time. While Denver has thrown a lot of recent draft picks at the cornerback position, most Denver fans would probably tell you that they could use an upgrade there.

Great pass catching TEs are so hard to find that the number of teams that don't need one could probably be counted on one hand. As most Jet fans know very well you could use four or five first round picks on a TE and still not find an Antonio Gates. Lets' not put Scheffler in the HOF just yet.

I would agree that Denver has bigger needs at this point of time prior to free agency but that could change by draft day. Also, it is important to take what the draft and free agency give you. If the draft is completely lacking at one position this year, there is a very good chance that next year's draft will provide a surplus. Championship rosters are painstakingly built over a long time unless a team really lucks out in the draft. A team that is lucky enough to draft an outstanding player and passes him up to fill needs has no luck at all.

17. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

Ok, well no more arguing for me tonight.

... I will resume my arguing duties tomorrow.

18. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Let me get working on it...just I hope nobody gets offended by any grades or comments I give out ok. :sad:

19. James Hasty

What about Jason Whitten, Dallas Clark, etc? TE is a harder position to fill than WR. Most players with the talent to excel at TE play basketball instead. I have been patient about taking players at other positions and will find the guys I "need" later in the draft.

If I used my next three picks to take stud players (for a moment lets assume I can pull this off) at my perceived needs I think you would have to congratulate me on getting Hall and Miller as icing on the cake. You would have to agree with me there.

20. DonnieIsTheKing

So throwing four or five draft picks at the position is the answer?

Miller is not a top receiving option... doesn't have very much speed and isn't much more then a great possession receiver (can't block very well either). Remember he played in a pass happy offense and his catch totals are a little inflated.