GMs who would swap their starting QB for CHAD...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Russ Reign, Feb 7, 2007.

1. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Not the teams with good Qb's! Teams with a mediocre Qb who can not get us over the top should upgrade. Denver did the right thing with Cutler! We should follow suit.

2. FOURTHANDLONG

I agree with you 100%! Urlacker gave the same smirk that Romanowski gave after The Raiders beat us in the playoffs a few years ago when he uttered Pennington is no Joe Montana. The Chad is overrated smirk. It is the same smirk that Chris Carter gives every time people start talking up Chad on Inside the Nfl year after year. Chad wins against the Mediocre teams and our fans brag about him being the best of the worst!

3. FOURTHANDLONG

Maybe Chad's teamates are professional enough not to throw him under the bus.
    Other players and media types don't have to worry about what will happen so they can tell it like they see it.

4. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

So I guess you'd refuse to take Dan Marino, Joe Namath, John Elway, Brett Favre, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Steve Young, Donovan McNabb, Joe Montana, etc.? They are/were all doers. These guys would all challenge Ds and make throws when their teams needed them, against top defenses. The guy you praise in your second number point, Peyton Manning, threw several INTs on his SB run. He threw them because he was trying to make a play. He throws that same pass for TDs and people don't notice it, they think the good result=football smarts, and a bad result=no football smarts, but that isn't true at all.

It is a lot like poker, if you make the textbook play every single time you will get destroyed by the better players, and they will be beating you by doing things that are theoretically the "wrong" play. But they consistently get the results, so you can't pretend you are actually better than them. That is the same thing with Chad. You can claim he is smarter than all the elite QBs, but eventually, either you have to admit he either doesn't have the physical capability so you need to go another direction, or that either he really isn't all that smart or that smarts aren't all they're cracked up to be. In the end, you still have to DO, not sit in a classroom and tell others what should be "done."

I've challenged people before to show me why they think Chad is so smart, and I have yet to really get a good answer. I think it's mostly people parroting back what they heard in the media or from another poster, not actually looking at Chad's play themselves. Don't get me wrong, I do think Chad generally makes better reads than the average NFL QB, but I really do not think his mental game is at the top. If it was, I think, weak arm and all, he'd actually still perform at a higher level than he does. I don't mind keeping Chad, but the price has to be right, so that we can build a great team around him. Chad can never be the "superstar" of the team, and you still need some (The Patriots model works because they have several guys that are among the best at their positions, and everyone else can fill a role, the reason why other teams can't all copy this is because A) It's hard to get guys that are the best at their position and B) these guys usually want a ton of money and kill the cap). Instead of worrying about the QB position, I'd be more interested in getting an elite defense and an elite RB. Chad is good enough to win the SB imo, just not as the gamebreaker.

For the people that say the QB gets too much blame/credit, well I can somewhat agree with you. If a QB takes less money so that he can actually have playmakers around him, then it becomes more of a team effort, but when the QB takes up 3 normal players salaries, he better take the blame because he took the salary that could have gone to these players. It's a team game, when you actually let other people be a part of the team. Instead, these guys go in to contract negotations, tell the team they're more important than their teammates so they should get more money, get that money, and then fail anyway.

5. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

So you're basing your opinions on what you think guys are thinking, based 2-second reaction shots from the heat of a game? Solid.

6. FOURTHANDLONG

Those 2 second reaction shots told the whole story!

7. AzJetFan

AzJetFan Member

So it was Chads fault that Herm made him take a knee and Brien missed the FG? I would say he had that tough team beat, wouldn't you? Chad made it through a whole season last year, and looked fairly good without a running game to support the passing game. You need to give him at least another year to show what he's got coming into a season healthy for the first time in a few years. Besides, Clemmens is not ready yet, especially since the offense is so complicated.

8. JetsLookingforDWare

Ah, so one game proves it wrong? He's got a far larger track record of being dominated by good/great defenses than the other way around.

Jeff Weaver sucks, but he ended up pitching better than Chris Carpenter in the WS. Does that mean Jeff Weaver is a better pitcher than those who bash him give him credit for? Nope. He's a servicable innings eater at his best now.

9. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

You may notice that the more eloquent Chad bashers on this thread who are actually making good points are completely ignoring you. Your arguments make no sense. I don't care what your friends think, I don't care what the analyists think, and I don't care what Brian Urlacker thinks. I only care about wins. The Jets got 10 last season with Chad. I'll take it.

10. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Herms call was ridiculous and it would have been nice if Brien would have made the FG, but Chad SUCKED that game. The defense and special teams were the only reason we were in it. This is hardly a good example of him playing well against a good defense.

11. JetsLookingforDWare

Is it that hard to admit Chad is a mediocre QB right now?

12. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

In the future if you are going to be using analogies that make no sense whatsoever, can you please use Hookers and Midgets. Speak a language we all know here. Hookers and Midgets can be used as an analogy for just about anything and everything. What you wrote was the equivalent of having my monkey tap on the keyboard.

Chad is the best option on the roster presently. KC will become the best option if and only if he can beat Chad in an open competition. He will get an ample opportunity to do so this year in training camp as per EM. Lets see if he can step up first before we break out the annointing oil and horrible analogies that do not make a lick of sense.

13. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

I will admit that Chad is a mediocre QB. But, to me, that means that he is middle of the pack as far as NFL QBs go. I still think there are 14-15 starting QBs worse than him.

14. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

when he takes a sub-mediocre team ( at best ) to the playoffs after a 10-6 season....it is fairly hard

15. JetsLookingforDWare

And again, I pose the question of how CHAD is the guy who did this? Simply because he was the QB?

Football is a team game. Our defense >>> our offense as the season went on. Does Chad play defense? Does he call the plays for the defense?

Stop handing the QB full credit for a TEAMS accomplishments. The Jets got where they got to because of a great, innovative, young, hungry coaching staff and a defense that REALLY picked up in the second half of the season. To reward Chad Pennington and his mediocre season ALL the credit for what this team accomplished, and you did just do that, is mind boggling.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Definitely. There are easily 14-15 worse than Chad and another half dozen in his rough vicinity.

17. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

I mentioned in a post above how we know Chad is smart. He was the fianalist for the Rhodes scholarship which is an extremely high academic scholarship. Just being a finalist for this award shows how smart he is.

You do realize that unless you personally know Chad Pennington the only way we find out these facts is through the media. It's difficult to pick out how smart a QB is in the way they play. Usually this intelligence causes more subtle differences. I heard on a telecast this year that there are only a few QB's in the league that are able to change the play at the line to any play in the playbook. The only players I remember them saying are Chad Pennington and Peyton Manning. Being able to memorize a playbook that many plays is no easy task. This is especially difficult when the gameplan changes each week. Chad must be able to get his players to the line, read a defense, and pick out a play that will work. This takes some level of intelligence.

18. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

All the predictions had us going 4-12 or worse, that is reality. The biggest question mark was quarterback, period. The QB play was solid and we won 10 games. There is no way anyone that is not crazy would have said we would have more than 5 wins with Patrick Ramsey at QB. The only way we were above 500 was with solid QB play. If you think I am speculating like so many on this board like to point out, simply look at last year compared to this year.

19. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I am sorry but I disagree. Maybe it is just a matter of semantics but I would characterize Penny's play as average rather than solid. Last year QB play was poor - this year it was average.

Regardless - for the money we are paying Penny I expect great.

20. JetsLookingforDWare

I'm sorry you have to explain this a little more.

Because Chad was an average QB, less than that in many games this season, we made the playoffs? The success has nothing to do with us having a defense that was 6th in the NFL this year? Our offense that came in 18th had more to do with it? Or just the fact that Chad was there raised our record?

Then again, ignoring that Chad was never "solid" this season (because I think consistent when I think solid), why would I as a fan want to settle for solid going foward?