New Jets/giants Stadium

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tanknyc, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

My tickets came from somebody on Long Island that dropped them.

2. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Yes I got 6 additional tix off the wait list when the move from Shea to the M/lands occurred. I to suspected those tix came from LIers who decided that other things meant more then hassling to get from LI to NJ to see there team play. Says a lot about there loyalty towards the NYJs

3. Section 227. Row 5

The point I was making about my own commuting hassle to get from NJ to Shea applies in reverse for LI'ers coming to the Meadowlands. It's got to be just as much of a hassle for them as it was for me back then and I actually don't blame them for giving up the tix. In my mind, it doesn't make them any less a Jets fan. I didn't get my tix until after the move to NJ. The only way I got to go to a game was through this guy I knew in Scotch Plains who had tix. He would invite us to go when nobody else wanted to (bad weather... predictions of blizzards, etc.) But my point is, I'm not sure what I would have done if he had offered to sell the tickets to me and put them in my own name. Would I really have wanted that unGodly commute 8 times a year?

But think of it in reverse... if it were announced that a brand new Jets stadium was being built in the parking lot of Shea Stadium and I was going to have to go through that commute again to get there for every game, I think I'd want to blow my brains out. I mean, come on. Fan loyalty is one thing, but that was a brutal f*cking commute.

So no, I can't agree with you here (that they are somehow less a Jets fan). Somebody like T-Bird, for example, coming from out there on LI... that's a freakin' colossal hassle.

I'm just glad they're going to be in the Meadowlands for, what basically amounts to, the rest of my life. Of the two scenarios, NY and NJ, someone had to win and someone had to lose. I'm just glad we won, but it in no way makes me think less of LI'ers as Jets fans that they lost.

4. championjets69

Yes but U see I did have tix lived in NJ down on the NJ shore exit 117 GSP & did make that ungodly commute as U called it for each & every home game including bringing my older son when he he got old enough to go to the games. So if I could do it why could not the LIers do it in reverse? They were just fair weather fans since it was soooooooooooooooo easy to get from LI to Shea. Once the going got tough they packed it in instead of hassling from LI to NJ. Those are fair weather fans at the best & non fans at the worst at least IMHO

5. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

The way I see it, there are 8 home games a year. If you want to you can make it to the games, it's not like we're talking about other sports where there are 41 or 81 home dates.

6. championjets69

Exactly which is why I could not understand why LIers dropped there subscriptions when the move from Shea to the M/land occurred.

7. KSJets

KSJets New Member

People just don't understand how much of a privilege it is to own season tickets. Since I'm still on the waiting list I go to a couple of games a year when my friend has an extra ticket. Why does he have an extra ticket? Because his father doesn't like going to the games when it's cold. WTF?

Once I get my own season tickets in a couple of years at most (#815 on the WL) a tornado could touch down in that stadium and I will never leave my seat.

8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

What I wanna know is who will play in it first. You know whoever plays first will claim bragging rights. Unless they lose maybe. Then the other team will get a shot.

Justice would be a Jets vs. Giants opener, with no home team designated. The winner, of course, gets bragging rights. They should play the preseason game somewhere else.

#128 Jets81, Feb 8, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  9. Section 227. Row 5

I see Champ has successfully reserected this thread which, when last I checked, was DOA for now. But no... let's torture the poor Long Island bastards just a little more by placing it at the top of the list.

Be that as it may, I've already suggested this as an opener solution. In early September, 2009 (or whatever year the damned thing is finally ready), schedule an away game for both clubs in the new stadium. They flip a coin for who gets the home locker room, but both teams are "away" teams. This means both teams get to still play 8 games at home in the new stadium, it just means that the NFL has to schedule both teams as "away" that day. You can do this because the season is 17 weeks long and there is a Bye.

Then, whoever wins that game that first fall, they get the home game for a rematch the following year (2010 in this scenario). After that, they take turns.

If you want to call any of this "bragging rights," knock yourselves out, but it'd be the fairest way to introduce both teams to the new stadium without favoring one team over the other as far as an "opening day."

10. championjets69

Actually in the "normal" NFL rotation in 2011 we would be the home team anyway & with delays etc it is very possible that the new satdium will not open till 2011 so we have a darn good shot of being the host to the NYGs 1st time out of the blocks in the new stadium

11. ViLmAfAn5128

ViLmAfAn5128 Banned

they should be the NEW JERSEY JETS, and NY can have the giants

12. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

No. What it says is that some people do not want to travel 2 hours into another state, across two bridges ($14) then park for $20, then have to spend 3 and even 4 hours to drive home. Being forced to pay for preseason games, etc, etc. Hey, maybe YOU should fly up here for every home game. Are YOU a less than loyal Jets fan too? Even at Shea, I could train it in and not have to limit myself to two beers. Get a DWI in NY now, lose yer car. (no, I don't advocate driving while drunk, but I sure as hell am a safer driver than most of the sober idiots are even after having 4 beers in 4 hours).

Thanks.... I'll watch at home, just like you. Oh, wait, you don't even do that according to you. That "life" you like to talk about..... it prevents you from watching all the games, but still, yer sure Vilma sucks. For a little while there, I thought there was some hope for you....

13. championjets69

Well U certainly did not read thru this thread or you would have seen that from 69 to 83 while I lived in NJ I commuted to Shea over all those bridges you mentioned paid all those tolls you mention, used up all that time you mentioned, paid all those parking fees you mentioned however, not being a beer drinker I did not have the cost of that product either at Shea or the M/Lands. So if I could do it so could the LIers if they were really.truly dedicated NYJ fans. JMHO of some very fair weather fans

14. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I'm sorry , but that is just silly. Why is everyone so hung up on sharing this stadium???? It will NOT be Giants stadium and the first game played will only be important for that week. There will be no bragging rights associated with who plays in the stadium first. As for a Jets - Giants opener in 2010, that is just not happening. The NFL rotates its schedule and it works just fine. The Jets play the Giants in 2011 and that will not change. If you want to make a big deal out of the Jet-Giant thing, then try to get your hands on tickets for the 2010 preseason game. If the Jets are the home team for that game, I'll be glad to sell you my tickets.

Let me ask you this - who played the first game in MSG- the Knicks or the Rangers? Because whoever did would have bragging rights, no? Basketball and hockey teams share arenas all the time and it seems to work out. Why is football so different???

15. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

The Knicks and the Rangers play in two entirely different leagues and play different sports, so I don't see the connection. This is 2 teams in the same league sharing a stadium.

The Jets have played in "Giants" stadium for as long as I've been a fan. This is an opprotunity for the team to estabilish an "our house" mentality that may or may not be lacking on the current roster.

In the end, it won't matter who plays first and whatnot, but it's fun to think about. If that aspect of the hype for the new stadium is lost on you and you find it "silly" well...I don't know...loosen up?

When the Jeopardy question of who won the first game in the new stadium pops up, I want the answer to be the New York Jets.

16. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

And just how long did you go from Jersey to Shea? First off, getting out of Shea was easy. The Meadowlands is a nightmare. At least once you were out of Shea, the bridges were clear. Not so for LI'ers. The GW can take over two hours to get across from the stadium, sometimes longer. The tolls you paid were what, a buck each way at most? 75 cents? Did you spend up to 6 hours on the road to get to and from Shea?

YOU have STATED you don't even WATCH all the games, and you have the BALLS to say something about ANY Jet fan being a fair weather type? You sir, are a hypocrit. Just shutup.

17. Section 227. Row 5

That's a good point. Only an idiot would run around bragging, "The Jets played in the stadium first, therefore they're obviously the better team." Sheer idiocy.

What's also idiotic is that Champs continues to torture the poor "LI'ers" (a play on words?) with this thread from the confines of his La-Z-Boy in Florida. The poor bastards already lost their stadium over 20 years ago, now they're losing the practice facility, training camp, front office and the whole shebang!

So, perhaps it'd be nice to let the sleeping dog lie for awhile and stop hammering away with this thread, but OH NOOOOO........

Hey Champs! Got a question for ya, because T-Bird makes a very good point. In your definition of what makes a good Jets fan in terms of whether or not he attends the games, if money is absolutely no object and travel time is inconsequential, why don't you fly up for every home game? Hell, if you fly into Newark Airport on gameday, your travel time would probably be less than T-Birds with all the traffic and all. You'd be home before he was after the game if you take a non-stop.

Just what the hell kind of Jets fan are you, anyway?

18. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone said that. Just that it would be nice to have the Jets christen the new stadium, and that a V over the Giants would make it all the sweeter. Records prove who the better team is, no argument there, it would just be nice too have the Jets play the opener.

Is it a big deal? Not really, but why would Jets fans want the Giants to play the opener?

19. Section 227. Row 5

I understand this, but Joe Willie White Shoes is correct about "bragging rights." I'm going to look awfully foolish running around town bragging about one game if the Giants win the next 4.

Now, if we can kick their ass good in the opener and then kick it many times over, well now, "how sweeeeeet it is!"

20. championjets69

Ah money is a object so the question is moot. However, if I really hit big time lotto I would certainly fly up for the games. But if it means anything to U I will be driving 400 miles RT to see them play in Dallas this year.

Also if I could do it from 69 thru 83 NJ to Shea I see no reason why LIers could not do it from LI to the M/Lands from 84 onwards that is why I say they were erstwhile fans in giving up there tix instead of making the trek