Jets willing to part with 1st rounder for Michael Turner. Discuss Here

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FITM, Jan 23, 2007.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Can someone explain to me the hype on Turner?

I am a big NFL fan, yet do not know much about Turner.

Why do some consider him worth a first round pick?

Why was he even drafted by the Chargers?

Thanks for the information. :up:

2. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

rush yards avg td
    157 941 6.0 5

Basically done in a little over 2 years as a back up.

3. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

because he went to a small school.

4. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more.

5. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Carry on, my good man. Ne're a truer word was ever spoken.

6. dBLitzer28

dBLitzer28 Active Member

This is wack .. i rather trade our 2nd rnder for Portis than waste a 1st for TUrner

7. I believe there is no clearcut right or wrong w/ this potential move.

I do not think that Washington can be a 20 carry a game, for 16 weeks type running back. He just doesnt have the size or stamina, and additionally struggles in pass protection( an underrated aspect of being a RB).

W/ that said, he is capable of 10 carries a game and barring injury, will have his fair share of big plays in green and white. Also, our overall running game would improve w/ or w/o a premier starting RB based on 2 factors...

1. The offensive scheme growing in terms of personell and theory(Which will certainly come w/ time)

2. An improvement on the OL, specifically the right side

W/ that aside, Turner has shown the potential to be a very very good starting RB, capable of 25 carries a game, and plenty of big play aility thatd compliment Leon well.

The risk? First of all he may end up costing us an early round pick, and seconly, Lamont Jordan and Trug Candidate looked great as back-ups before landing big deals, and their respected franchises are still kicking themselves for the lucrative contracts.

So here's where I currently stand:

Although I am hesitant, I have alot of faith in our FO at this time. Our OC saw Turner up close for a number of years. If he TRULY BELIEVES that he is all the hype says he is, and that he is the final piece to a truly successful running game...by all means move forward. If there is any hesitation, or the price is too high....there are other ways to address our running game.

8. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

name me one back if you can that when he touched the ball he was able to take it to the house for new york jets!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

his nickname is the "burner" turner, what else do you need to know?

10. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I need to know we're not the one getting "burned" by giving up our 1st pick.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

That would be a much better trade. Portis has proven that he can carry a load and also catch the ball out of the backfield.

12. Br4d

Any team that gvies up a first round pick for Turner is definitely going to see him as the "burner" in two years time, and it's probably 50/50 as to whether he has been the burner or burned them in the meantime.

13. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

i honestly dont think he will be traded for 1st..when its said and done turner will be traded for 2nd rd pick. and now that i think about it i wouldnt trade a 1st for him ethier.

#193 hydro51, Jan 26, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  14. JetsLookingforDWare

My thinking is that Turner is good enough to be a starter in the NFL. He's got the speed, the power, enough quickness, and he just does not want to go down.

He'll draw comparisons to Jordan by those who want to use Jordan's negative image against him. Fact is, in his only healthy season as a full time RB Jordan put up over 1500 yards behind a crappy O-line and no QB.

The Jets have an up and coming O-line that should be adding new, and better parts soon. Turner is only 25 and has the skillset everyone loved in guys like Jamal Lewis. Essentially the Jets are trading a first rounder for a potential franchise RB, it's the same as using one on a risky draft pick isn't it? Turner is a "young" 25 for a RB because he's been a backup, so the wear and tear on guys like Portis (there was a rumor) isn't a factor for him.

I'd say its worth the risk, everytime I've seen Turner defenses have locked in on him and he still refuses to go down. It's not like we can expect a Lynch or Peterson, and we have a second round pick very close to our first anyway.

That said, he's probably not going anywhere for a first.

15. MacMan

MacMan New Member

How old is Turner? I believe he is 25. If that is the case, I think this would be a smart move. If we trade our 1st rounder, then trade our two second rounders for a first. Turner knows the game and can make an impact right away. With a rookie, you take a chance of a flop....blair thomas.

16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

You can't take those stats seriously.

Those are like Lamont's Martin clean up stats.

I bet those stats got Raiders fans excited too.

17. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Watch the video and stats I posted and you will see not only does he carry the ball throughout the entire game, but he has very good results.

Watch him bulldoze the Patriots in the first half...its around 1:40 in the video.

18. JetsLookingforDWare

Another thing: The offensive line is a must for any RB. Fortunately, you can use late picks on RT's and G's and still get good players.

Turner behind a line? With that speed and power combo? Sick.

19. Br4d

The risk is actually far greater than signing Lamont Jordan to a long term contract would have been. With a Jordan signing the Jets (and Raiders) were just risking dollars and cap space. With a Turner trade and sign the Jets would be risking the draft pick, the dollars and the cap space all at once.

They have other holes to fill at the moment and I just see a trade for Turner as a bad risk. He'd cost a LOT more to sign than any runningback taken on the 25 pick and he's basically not a lot more proven than they'd be. If he had Clinton Portis' resume then I could see *maybe* risking the 25 pick on him, but even that is a stretch in my opinion.

20. JetsLookingforDWare

One thing to think about:

A guy like Portis is established, thats very nice to have. Still, Portis has had his share of injury problems, and already has 4 or so years of being tackled and hit game after game on his smaller than average RB body.

Wear and tear on a RB is a big deal. IMO, one of the best things about Turner is that his size is near ideal, and he has far less wear and tear on his body on somoene like Portis, who is only like a year older than him.