Tony Hunt or Michael Turner

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Who would you rather have with the 1st round pick? This is of course assuming Hunt impresses during the pre draft workouts and will be undraftable with the #37 pick? And why?

2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Tony Hunt is a Second round RB at best...more than likely a 3rd rounder.

Michael Turner is the best option at this juncture and would be an instant upgrade. Leon would be deadly in a backup/3rd down role.

Get da burner!

3. Murrell2878

From what I understand Hunt is moving up the draft charts. However it is way early. I was just wondering with all the talk about a 1st round pick being too much for Turner, and with Hunt moving up the charts which would be the better choice.

4. PennyandtheJets

I hadn't heard that. The only thing that I know is that he will more than likely run a average/poor 40 at the combine and that tends to turn teams in the first round. Especially at his position.

I like Turner over Bush and Irons as well.

5. Murrell2878

This was from a Senior Bowl report

• Tony Hunt/RB/Penn State: Hunt surprised everyone by checking in a little heavier than expected at 239 pounds. Yet that seems to have positively affected his game. Hunt has been a monster carrying the ball on the inside and equally productive as a blocker.

6. A.C.E.S

A.C.E.S New Member

Do you still want " THE BURNER " if SD is asking for a 1st round pick ?

I won't do that, I will just go for Micheal Bush.

7. SOWELLisGOD

SOWELLisGOD New Member

agreed....

8. PennyandtheJets

I wouldn't be happy trading away the first, but I trust the front office and if they value Turner over that pick I say pull the trigger. I am not a fan of Bush or Irons either.

9. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Why would give up a first round pick for a back when our offensive line still can't run block????

10. A.C.E.S

A.C.E.S New Member

I get what you mean but I rather have Lamarr Woodley/Jarvis Moss-With Micheal Bush.

11. PennyandtheJets

Our offensive line can block. That is the biggest over statement this offseason.

Our offensive line had two rookies playing the two most important positions on the line. They are going to get better at their jobs...and their job includes run blocking...

Pete Kendall and Brandon Moore were the guards we had when we blocked for Curtis Martin's Rushing title.

The only position which needs help is RT and that can be filled with a smart veteran signing.

12. MANGINI RULES!

MANGINI RULES! New Member

Your Crazy Bro Running Backs Are A Dime A Dozen I Would Never Give Up A 1st For Turner....

13. hazmat

hazmat New Member

They cannot run block, week in and week out they didn't move people off the ball. Brandon Moore is not a starter, Clement is a horrible run blocker, Kendall is not big enough to move big fat defensive tackles off the LOS and Brick needs to gain about 25 pounds. Mangold was really the only good blocker we had. Our tight ends are not anything more then average blockers and we badly need a fullback. Your crazy if you think the only position that needs to be upgraded is RT.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The Burner who pussyfoots his way through holes if they're not wide open. Chea!

15. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Penny, I don't agree. Our RB's this year almost never got through the line without running through some trash first. Even if they broke tackles. it delayed their downfiled penetration and gave the defense more time to react.

Moore was the weakest link in that line for Martin. Ferguson is not a good run blocker, and has a long way to go before he becomes one, if he does in fact, ever become a solid run blocker. . Mangold was much better than even hoped for given he was a rookie center. The right side of the O line isn't good. To make matters worse, Baker isn't much of a run blocker either.

If the Jets are to establish a solid ground game, we need both a RG and a RT, and a good blocking TE would be helpful as well.

16. PennyandtheJets

You may have misunderstood me. The offensive line was DEFINITELY not good enough this past season and I am in complete agreement with your first paragraph. However, I still think this offensive line needs time to gel and mature as a group. If they are given a chance to gel I think the run blocking will come. As I mentioned previously, I think Brick and Mangold only get better and stronger so I am willing to bet their will be improvement in their runblocking.

As for the TE comments...I never said we couldn't use a TE. I think we need a TE.

My main point is, is why not address all of the run game needs?

Who says we cant trade for Turner and make the necessary tweaks to the Oline? That is where I think the biggest misconception lies on this board. Just because someone wants Turner doesn't mean they want to blow off the offensive Line.

#16 PennyandtheJets, Jan 23, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  17. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

I don't want our first rounder to be used on the RB position. Use it to address the D-line, we need a pass rush.

18. PennyandtheJets

We certainly do need a pass rush, but who is to say we cant add a DE in the early or late second round?

19. AlToon4prez

AlToon4prez Member

Turner.This isnt even close imo

20. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

I feel the need for a true run stopping DT or pass rushing DE is needed much more than a RB.