Fire Joe Douglas 2024-2025 Edition

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Oct 20, 2024 at 11:44 PM.

1. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I was adamant last year they needed to get rid of Rex Hogan after all that time and they actually wound up doing just that.

2. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

His failures cost a massive amount of money to patch and repair, and those patches aren’t getting it done either

1) declined a huge multi-pick trade offer for the #2 overall pick, instead traded Same Darnold for a 2nd rounder and drafted Zach Wilson. Eventually traded a 2nd round pick for Rodgers. Cost: multiple 1st round picks and over $100, problem still not solved

2) drafted Mekhi Becton, a player with conditioning and weight concerns. Signed Duane Brown for over 20m to cover for Becton’s absence over conditioning/injury concerns. The signed Tyron Smith and Morgan Moses, along with drafting Olu Fashanu in the first round. Cost of replacing Becton- $50m, problem still not solved

3). Drafted Mims, Moore, and Wilson. Mim/Moore underperformed terribly and demanded trades. Replaced with Lazard, Mike Williams. GW is not performing at the elite level we expected once he was relied on to run the right routes and recognize coverages at an elite level. Traded for Devante Adams to provide us with a true elite #1. Cost- over $50m in Lazard and Williams, not even sure what Adams will cost monetarily but he’s at least a 3rd round pick.

4). Drafts JJ and WMcD in consecutive seasons, passing up talent at needed positions, and then hedged his bet anyway by trading for Reddick which will cost us something like 16m all said and done

His misses have cost us dearly, and that is why I don’t think Woody will offer him another deal, but then again Woody may not want to face the embarrasment of firing the guy who built “the most talented Jets team ever” by his own words.

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

New England next week. Miami 2x. Jacksonville. Rams. All much worse than any team the Jets have lost to so far. There's zero chance the Jets go 2-15. It's probably going to be 7-10 again.

dawinner127 likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

7-10 would be brutally awesome. Never bad enough to land at the bottom and get a game changing player. Never good enough to be invited to the dance.

That’s what happens when you desperately emphasize defense. You’re always going to hit on enough horses here and there to be somewhat competitive.

Exactly what we all deserve by way of Woody Johnson I guess.

HomeoftheJets and REVISion like this.
  5. letsgojets2819

letsgojets2819 Active Member

What’s the case to keep him 1 good draft? He has been abysmal his 32 games under 500 with a 6 year sample size, offense and the offensive line dogshit the whole time. Drafted bust after bust

6. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Ummm...I think you need to re-think things. I have NE in the "maybe win" column and, if Tua comes back and is even a shell of himself then we "might" split with the Dolphins. The RAMS will pound this team. That team has HEART and is VERY WELL coached. Jacksonville is a toss up. One minute play like Tarzan the next like Jane. We get the Tarzan version and they will smoke this team too.

No, AT BEST, you are looking at 5 wins..."maybe" 6.

7. HomeoftheJets

If Vegas were as reactionary as TGG, I'd be a rich man.

8. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

JD should fired for what he's done to this D line :(

T. Smith has been a bad signing but I choose to believe he'd be doing better if we didn't have Carter as OL coach

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The question is going to be if we hire a GM with big enough nuts to really tear this thing to the ground and build it back up. We aren’t in need of some meddling 5-12’s and 6-11’s.

I’m wondering if we should probably go the route of what the Dolphins did a couple years ago and trade everyone away and really reset. Not saying I’m sold on it but it doesn’t seem crazy anymore given the third straight 7-10 we’re staring in the face.

10. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

As bad as this season's game results have been. And holy shit have they been bad..... after giving this a lot of consideration I think the thing to do is just give it a little more time.

I think out of the three factors of GM, coaching staff, and players the one that would be most reasonable to violently change would be the coaches. And I'm not even sure Ulbrich isn't a good choice right on hand. Unless he shows signs of incompetence the rest of the way give him an offseason to maybe fine tune his defensive staff and hopefully more or less totally revamp the offensive staff.

I feel like something along those lines are probably the most... responsible I guess would be the word.... way to proceed. If the Jets have a terrible draft next year, results on the field are still pathetic and Aaron Rodgers rides off into the sunset one way or another THEN you absolutely blowtorch everything to the ground and start over.

11. HomeoftheJets

The way this team is going, if Woody doesn't do anything aside from let Douglas pick yet another coach, they'll finish 3-14 within the next year or two without even trying to tank.