Stupid playcall/stupid throw

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tomdeb, Oct 20, 2024 at 10:01 PM.

1. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

The jets have 1st and 10 on the 30, 9-point lead, w about 3 minutes left in the first half.
    Even Cris Collingsworth of NBC notes "At the very least, the jets should try to run the clock out since they get the 2nd half kickoff." They run Breece for 6. Just when I think the jets might be smart and run some clock, they line up in a pass formation and Rodgers is easily picked when he throws into triple coverage.
    Why the hell is Downing passing when even I can see they should run the clock??????????????????.
    Why is Rodgers throwing over the middle toward Wilson into triple coverage when the replay shows Adams wide open on the sideline????. Good grief!
    No team does the other team more favors than the sad sack jets.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It’s not a stupid play call to try to move the ball and score more points. It was a fucking awful throw.

3. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Tell me you'll never coach a competitive sports team. Whose goal is it to not score points? This isn't sarcastaball.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

4. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

The thing stupid, is the fanbase, for watching this garbage

SOJAZ and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

and an even worse decision. Open reads and Rodgers missed them, locked on hitting Wilson despite the coverage.
    Both INTs were horrible decisions based on the defense and other open receivers.

6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Of course it was dumb!! And changed / lost entire momentum . The whole thing stinks and the interim CS is blowing it

With all due respect to other posters here who are busy criticizing AR and his inaccurate throws it is a basic strategy that this CS ruined with disastrous results
    I am saying it now ..I am NOT watching any more Jet games and I am back to my same old prediction: We won’t win another game this season !!! Nope every team knows how bad this trash team plays and smells

tomdeb likes this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

What was Rodgers’ excuse this time?

8. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Tough crowd. I thought the interception was pretty spectacular -- one hand grab. Frustrating as hell but i didn't find fault with the decision to go for more points -- they were still effective at that point. And i didn't think the throw was awful

Hoping the team can tune out the noise and turn this around. Super frustrating but i think they can turn it around. We need to stop the run

9. ProfJets

ProfJets Well-Known Member

Personally no faith here that they can turn it around. This is the kind of season where things spiral- the analytics may say 47% chance to make the playoffs (based on what I have no idea), but those analytics forget football is played by men, not 1s and 0s. The culture just isn't there to turn this thing around.

And even if they did- they have no slack. They wasted their slack by blowing winnable game after winnable game in stupid fashion early in the year. They could improve dramatically down the stretch and I still can't envision the playoffs.

10. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I'm shocked there are still people on these boards who think the Jets have a chance this year. I got news for you. The Jets are dogshit.

Best case scenario, they would need to go 7-3 over their final 10 games just to have a chance at sniffing a wild card berth.

I see 4 winnable games left on their schedule with a couple of toss ups. And guess what? The Jets are the model on inconsistency, they can;t rattle off 3-4 wins a row to save their lives.

This season is beyond over. Stick a fork in them because they are done in October. Shame on Woody Johnson and Joe Douglas for giving up more valuable draft assets for Adams when the problem is so much bigger than a pass catcher. It's the entire organizational philosophy which is the problem and that starts with Woody and then Douglas.

This team has ZERO chance at making the playoffs. Just watch them play. They are not a good team.

tomdeb likes this.
  11. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

It wasnt a great decision, but the DB made a great play

On the replay, Adams is WIDE OPEN up the left sideline, that's what hurt the most

12. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Sorry don't agree. Hall had just run for 6 yards and the steelers did not call timeout.
    As Collingsworth said, the jets should have run the ball and the WORST that could happen (assuming they don't fumble) is going into the half w a 9 point lead, momentum, and getting the 2nd half kickoff.
    That stupid call, the INT and the steelers TD just before changed the entire game and likely the season for the sad sack jets.
    You obviously disagree, but your way worked really well last night, didn't it?
    Oh, and by the way, since you brought it up-- I am not planning on coaching any sports team--No need for you to worry about that.
    But I am a lawyer and have negotiated two professions football contracts for players.
    One guy with the Lions, and another with the Canadian football team.
    There is a difference between taking a foolish chance and protecting a lead and keeping momentum going halftime.
    As I said, your approach worked well for the jets last night.:D

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

They had the ball at their 36 with 1:26 on the clock and 2 timeouts. You don’t sit on that ball unless you have a backup quarterback or something. You try to go get points.

You saying they should run the clock out is just playing the hindsight game.

It’s a terrible throw and all but that’s about it.

REVISion likes this.
  14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Trying to score was the right move. We've been plagued by overly conservative teams for years. Playing not to lose is a big reason why we've been so bad over the past decade.

We need to address the root problem - we don't score enough points and we have no margin for error because of it. Turnovers are going to happen. You need to score enough points to overcome them.

15. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

I don't agree at all that there should have been a conservative approach there. Myself, and many others, have gotten on the Jets for not stepping on team's throats for years and years. You go down and score a touchdown there, get the ball back in the second half, that game is put away. Even a field goal makes that almost certainly a win. It's unfortunate that the ball got picked off, but the biggest problem is that Soft Gardener committed a dopey pass interference penalty that gave the Steelers the ball in scoring position.

If this God forsaken franchise could just recover from stupid mistakes, they hold the Steelers to at worst a field goal, and we're in good shape. Instead, they gave it all away, all the momentum, went into the half with a two-point lead where anybody who has followed this team for any length of time new it may well have been a 46 point deficit.

But all of that is not because they should have been conservative. They should absolutely have tried to bury the Steelers.

16. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

First of all, Collingworth said on the air that the worst thing that would likely happen IF the jets ran the ball is that they would run the clock out, and have a nice lead at halftime. I thought it a great idea AT THE TIME (not hindsight) to stay conservative and likely move the ball. They ran for 6 yards on first down, why not run it more? Tomlin looked content to let the jets do that. We could have gone to the half w a 9 point lead and some momentum and expecting the second half kickoff.
    That stupid play call and interception and subsequent Pitt TD just before half changed the momentum of the game, and I really believe of the jets season. I don't see them making the playoffs now, especially Pittsburgh and Denver owing the tiebreakers.

Not sure you remember but the idiot jets did the same thing in about 2014 early in the season in green bay. They were leading the Pack in green bay 21-9 right toward halftime, and were driving on about the packer 30. I was hoping they would run the clock, kick a field goal, and be up 24-9 at the half. Nope. Geno threw into the end zone, was intercepted-- Rodgers then took GB all the way down the field for a TD just before the half to cut it to 21-16. So, instead of 24-9 jets at the half , it was 21-16. And, yes, the jets now without momentum blew their smaller lead and later lost the game. DUMB dips. 10 years later w their heads up the butts they accomplished the same feat. As I said, nobody does the opposition more favors than the jets.

17. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Uh, it is not playing not to lose. It is playing to run clock, and keep your momentum going into halftime up by 9, not 2, and then receiving the 2nd half kickoff.
    Their foolish pass, the INT, and Pitt TD right before half totally changed the momentum of that game and the jets season.
    I am not going to say it was a smart move to abandon the run at that time--It was really stupid and cost us big time.
    We are all but done for 2024 and that sequence was a large part of it.
    Dumb dips on the jets coaching staff.
    maybe they should bring back Dick Curl, clock management coach under Herm.:D

18. Tamba_Trio

Tamba_Trio Well-Known Member

I don't think the play call was the huge problem, but Rodgers seems unwilling to simply take what the defense gives him.

It was the same last week: we're 3 points behind, needing a field goal to tie. There's 2 minutes left. We've got time outs. We've got the ball at our own 40, so we only need to gain about 20 yards to be close enough to miss the kick. Should you (a) check down to the WIDE OPEN Breece Hall, who can gain 5-10 yards and keep the drive moving or (b) throw a no-look pass 30+ yards because Mike Williams should - hopefully - be wide open as long as everything has gone perfectly (never mind him running the wrong route - it's Metlife: there was about a 70% chance Williams could have slipped and ruptured his Achilles on our turf).

He seems to want to play hero ball. Which was fine when he was young and invincible but, now that he's old, he needs to stop forcing throws when it's not needed.