Fire Joe Douglas 2024-2025 Edition

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Oct 20, 2024 at 11:44 PM.

1. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

can you believe Steelers fans wanted to get rid of Tomlin not long ago? I would've brought him in in a second.

mezzavo, SOJAZ, HomeoftheJets and 3 others like this.
  2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The Jets should fire the real GM, Woody.

If Woody feels inclined to step in to make roster decisions, no point in having Douglas around.

SOJAZ likes this.
  3. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

JD should be fired. As others have pointed out his won/loss record as GM is pathetic. All of the years and he still hasn't built an OL. Striking out on the #2 pick with Wilson should have been a fire able offense. But it wasn't JD who wanted Rodgers. At the time the Jets were looking to upgrade the QB position from Wilson the media was reporting that JD/Saleh wanted Carr. It was Johnson who overruled them because he wanted Rodgers.

James Hasty likes this.
  4. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

I've been a staunch defender of Douglas, but if Breece Hall and Garret Wilson are going to start underperforming, what is left to defend his record?

5. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Rating JD's drafts - only looking at the first 3 "premium" rounds

2020 - overall F
    Mekhi Becton
    Denzel Mims
    Ashtyn Davis
    Jabari Zuniga

2021 - overall F-
    Zach Wilson
    AVT
    Elijah Moore

2022 - prior to this year it would've been an A - after this year a B-
    Sauce Gardener
    Garrett Wilson
    Jermaine Johnson
    Breece Hall
    Jeremy Ruckert

2023 - early days - C+
    Will McDonald
    Joe Tippman

2024 - early days but not looking great - C
    Olumuyiwa Fashanu
    Malachi Corley

Over 5 drafts the first 3 rounds have delivered little. To be fair very few Jets drafts have delivered very much in the last 15 years or so and so this is hardly anything new.

Zuckpsu and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  6. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I've only been saying this on here for the last 2 years.

Of course JD should be fired. If Woody wants to make a real statement that shows he cares about building this franchise the right way, then he would fire Douglas and the entire CS and FO today. But we all know he doesn't have the balls or the foresight to do that. He just cares about covering his own ass instead of trying to build a winner. That's the real problem.

Joe Must Go and Blow the entire franchise up. Get rid of all of Woody's little business cronies who do the accounting for the Jets and get rid of the scout from the Joe Namath days. They are all part of the problem. Every last one of them.

REVISion likes this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Great point there you know... I've been on Douglas and I'm not necessarily defending him here but that Hymie Elhai guy has too much influence. Even last week when Woody fired Saleh it was mentioned that Saleh met with Woody and Elhai who fired him. Why is the business manager in that meeting?

mezzavo and REVISion like this.
  8. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

It's because Woody runs the franchise like it's a HS clique. He does not run it like an NFL franchise. Even these employees which most people would think aren't anything important (accounts, business managers) are a sign of a bigger problem. They've all been part of a constant losing culture for one. That right there is a horrible way to build a winning culture. They all need to be relieved and the Jets need to start fresh. The ultimate question is will Woody ever get serious enough to turn it over to a real football guy and let him build it? I highly doubt it but it is the only way.

REVISion likes this.
  9. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Yeah there's no reason JD should have a job right now. Keeping him risks having him sabotage our future even further via more desperation trades for aging vets.

Either tell JD he needs to start trading assets for picks right now before the deadline, or fire him immediately if he won't. Either way, he has to go at the end of the season.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  10. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I advocated a lot for him early on because he was saying the right things. Get strong in the trenches, particularly building a strong OL. He never made it happen, then rented a hired gun without being able to properly protect him.

Of course, there’s a lot more to criticize. The OL, in my opinion, is the most damning though. Yea, even more than Wilson and not having a backup last season.

Jets79 likes this.
  11. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

My wife’s family are all Steelers.
    They fucking cry when they go 9-7. It gets tiring listening to them.

HomeoftheJets and Jets79 like this.
  12. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

As long as the Chief Fraud Officer Woody is around and owns this team it feels like we as fans are just fucked plain and simple. He is the only constant in the equation.
    I hope I am wrong but that is the way I feel.

Jets79 likes this.
  13. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Honestly this looks somewhere between acceptable to pretty good with the two major mistakes of Becton over Wirfs and spending the 2nd pick on Wilson instead of the half dozen other legit options available at the time. Those two mistakes just murdered this franchise.

But people make mistakes on this stuff. I'm not sure its the GM's fault that players are running the wrong routes, lining up wrong, holding, false starts, or turning perfectly thrown balls right into their chests into crushing interceptions.

I'm not sure how enthusiastic I am about firing Douglas who has clearly done some good things. Unless your sure your getting a guy who won't make any mistakes I'd be a little nervous about just blowing everything up because we've played a few shit games.

14. Zuckpsu

Zuckpsu Member

Not saying the Jets shouldn't fire Douglas at this point, but what FO executive with a legitimate franchise would want to come here? You've got a bottom-3 owner who meddles in personnel and draft decisions. Wouldn't touch this job with less than a 5-6 year deal and top-5 salary.

15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Bottom line is it was stupid not to tear it down after last season. But we got Arod and had to ride that train.

REVISion likes this.
  16. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

Who is softer Houston? Mia 2X? Buffalo again? Seattle? AZ? JAX? Rams? Who exactly is this team beating the way things are going?

Should doesn't mean will in regard to this crappy team winning any games. I swear I can see 2-15 being possible.

17. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

A-Rod is fast becoming A-Roid

18. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I think number of years was a big negotiating point for Douglas.

19. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Eh, I think this is way too favorable to JD.

It's definitely at least partly the GM's fault that guys are running the wrong routes, committing penalties, etc. Acquiring smart, hard-working players is part of a GM's job. Even putting coaching aside, when was the last time we felt like a smart team? This is the GM who didn't have personality concerns about Becton, and Becton is still among the more immature players in the league right now. The rest of the blame falls on coaching, and JD hired the coaches.

JD is also responsible for the aging vets who commit penalties because they aren't as good as they used to be.

Looking at JD's drafts, he has barely hit on anyone outside of the first round. Carter II, Breece, and Allen. That's it. Three good players outside of the first round over five drafts. JD is a terrible judge of talent.

Pepsiguy5, HomeoftheJets and Borat like this.
  20. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

This. Coupled with the fact nobody plays from the 2024 class, just awful.