Greg Zuerlein

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 94Abraham, Sep 29, 2024.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Looks like the Jets are trying out kickers: https://sports.yahoo.com/jets-three-kickers-amid-greg-225500158.html

Riley Patterson
    Cade York
    Matt Coghlin

The first two I am not excited about at all. Both kicked for Washington this year and sucked like Greg.

"Patterson has kicked in 39 games for three teams over the last three seasons, converting 59 of 67 (88.1 percent) field attempts and 93 of 97 (95.9 percent) extra points. He had a chance to earn the starting job with Washington but made just 2 of 5 attempts in preseason and was released in August."

"York has appeared in 18 career games for two teams over two seasons, converting 24 of 34 attempts (70.6 percent) with 37 of 39 (94.9 percent) extra points. A fourth-round draft pick by Cleveland in 2022, he struggled his rookie season before he was released and bounced around the league. After re-signing with the Browns this offseason, he was dealt to the Commanders during the preseason ... was released by Washington after missing field goal attempts of 47 and 56 yards in Week 1."

Now, Matt Coghlin is actually an interesting one. After not great College career that ended in 2021 he didn't play anywhere for a year. Then played in USFL in 2023. Hit 18 from 19 FGs there, and all 25 XP, which are same as NFL - 33 yards. He was then drafted by UFL and played there this year hitting 16-18. No XPs in XFL. Both missed FGs 50+ yards, but he also hit 4 50+ yarders, so an average 50+ yard kicker perhaps, and almost automatic under 50 last two years.

Honestly, this seems like a massive upgrade over Greg.

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I would bring in Coghlin for sure. It looks like they are going to give Greg one more shot this week. If he misses a kick at any point on Sunday, I'm going for it on every 4th down and 2 point conversion.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

why wait a week? At 2-5 who cares who the kicker is. Sign one of those guys they are all young, maybe something clicks for them and they end up being a reliable kicker for several years. It is not uncommon for a rookie kicker to struggle and then figure it out. York IMO has a real shot at being one of those types

barfolomew, SOJAZ and REVISion like this.
  4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Why does it seem like the Jets are always in bum kicker Hell? Our kickers and QBs should go out for drinks together.

barfolomew likes this.
  5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think it is an idiotic mistake, the one Saleh would normally make. I have been listening to some reports from training camp, and many people are saying Greg looked bad even in practices where media/fans were allowed. Now, I feel like the coach has to pick the best player for the roster. Saleh didn't do that, so I actually blame him even more than JD. Usually a job of a GM is to give best talent to the coach, and then coach decides whom to keep on the roster. And there was talent there in Siebert who has significantly outperformed Greg.

The problem is that Brick is now doing the same exact shit failed HC Saleh did, if he gives him another game as it may be too late after that. It's the same exact shit as we did with Morestead/Mann a couple of years ago. Speaking of accountability - I mean we are not talking about 1 game. The guy is barely making the easy kicks within a few inches from a miss and missed a ton of easy ones, and looked like shit in training camp and preseason. Why are we waiting for a miracle and still not holding people accountable? I am certain one of these 3 kickers is better than Greg. Pick the best one and give him a shot THIS Sunday.

barfolomew, mezzavo, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  6. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

With Pittsburghs defense this may be a very close low scoring game that comes down to a kick. Need to get the best possible kicker on the field, the season literally depends on it.

barfolomew and SOJAZ like this.
  7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Another thing to add, the reason why you only have 1 kicker on the roster and also kickers are not paid as much is not because their role is not important. It's actually critically important: not having a decent kicker cost us two games already. It's because there are many more than 32 guys who are decent at kicking the ball into empty net so to speak, so it should not be very hard to find a guy who will do a very good job. It's a supply and demand, and there is overwhelming supply with top League demand of only 32 total in the world.

Unfortunately for the Jets it seems to be almost an impossible task to get someone here who will do an OK job every year. Out of JD's 6 years here we had a decent kicker for two of them. It shouldn't be that hard. If one sucks, you dump him, try bunch more and have that one kick. I mean you don't need learn the game plan, intricacies of team plan, etc... It's the same fucking kick every time. One kicker sucks, get another. That's what Washington did and they have Siebert now who is good. Why can't we do the same?

8. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I'm on your page. I mean, seriously, why this position doesn't get the attention it needs is mind boggling! Especially considering your kicker is almost ALWAYS your top scorer!!!!!! Why this shit is an afterthought never ceases to amaze me...

Borat and barfolomew like this.