Jets fire Robert Saleh

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mogriffjr, Oct 8, 2024.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Maybe Woody was checking Rodgers' health to make sure he is not seriously hurt, meaning the season is not lost yet and there is some sense in trying to save it by removing a loser HC. We will never know. But I think a decision of this magnitude was pretty much made before the phone call on Monday night. To me the feedback could have been in the form of accountability comments, which we are aware of, echoed by several players, or something similar. That is a big incitement on the HC that he does not hold people accountable.

Whatever it is, I think for a change Woody made the right decision. A very late decision, but a right one this time.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Heard Cimini on ESPN earlier, he indicated he had no information from his sources that Rodgers played a role in the firing.

you know Cimini would love shit on the Jets with the scoop if he had the goods.

Borat likes this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Saleh's track history as a DC is one winning year out of four - that's not "very good" in my book. They went to the Superbowl that year and went nowhere the next. SF also gave up a lot of points while he was there.

I think Douglas probably deserved a look; Saleh was just another defensive guy with something to prove.

4. Ralebird

Nonanswer noted.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’m still not seeing why it would be seen as out of bounds for Woody to get Rodgers’s input on the coach?

He’s the leader of the team and a HOF player who has exclusively played for a winning organization.

Ralebird and Borat like this.
  6. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I'm looking at profootball reference--I believe Saleh was DC for SF from 2017-2020--4 years.

Looking at defensive yards rank, they were 29th and 32nd in the 2 years before Saleh.

Then in 2017-2020 they were 24,13,2,5. They were 3 and 1 in the next two years after he left which you have to give him some credit for.

Borat likes this.
  7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

When Dick Chimney talks, I listen.

8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It didn't work. Same mistakes everywhere. Minor improvement on offense. True Greg fucked two FG, but we got lucky on Hail Mary. Overall same shit, different day.

9. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

hes laughing his bald head off .... rightfully so... looking forward to seeing this season catch fire

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  10. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I'll be interested to see if there's any improvement next week, at least on the penalty front. Firing the head coach and having that much upheaval is not conducive to having a focused team in the immediate aftermath.

I'm not holding out much hope, though.

11. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Yeah I was thinking the same - the Hail Mary makes this game appear closer than it was. We lose this by double digits most times.

ColoradoContrails and Jets79 like this.
  12. Ralebird

PFR puts up a lot of different stats, picking a single one to focus on doesn't tell the whole story, neither does basing a guy's performance on just the stats of what happened before, during and after his tenure. I remarked on a number of events not based upon ranking within the league. We know his performance here and we'll see what he does at his next job.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

They were 1/4 in the RZ, and 2 missed FGs. Bills were 3/4 in the RZ and 1/2 on FGs. That tells the difference in quality between a good team and a bad one. Close doesn't matter - it only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades as they say. If they gave out points from close, the Jets would have a dynasty.

Borat likes this.