Your Head Coach choices for 2025

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Sep 30, 2024.

1. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

You beat me to it. He certainly has a "nose" for QB's. First Murray and now Daniels. Considering the shithole that Washington has been for the last 15 years or so, what he's done there, in 1 year, is pretty damn miraculous. If Daniels up and wins MVP, in his rookie season, Kingsbury will have his choice of landing spots. Not too sure he'll want to come to our dysfunctional organization but it would be worth a shot.

2. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

knute rockne or chuck noll

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Let's make another run at Bill Cowher. That's good for a hoot.

stinkyB likes this.
  4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I was thinking Kingsbury as well…I would interview and consider several of these up and coming OC’s…Ben Johnson, Slovak or whatever his name is the Houston guy, Kingsbury (who has the benefit of already having been an HC)

I guess I’d consider Vrabel as well but I’m just so down on yet another defensive guy when for decades now our problem has been offense WAY more than defense.

Especially if we’re going to need to draft a QB in the next 2-3 years depending on what Rodgers decides to do

mezzavo likes this.
  5. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

SEXY REXY

sackexchange likes this.
  6. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I have to think we'll be able to land one of:

Slowik
    Robinson
    Kingsbury
    Kubiak

Whether we'll be smart enough to actually target these guys is another story...

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If Daniels keeps this up all season, the Commanders should trade Quinn and promote Kingsbury to HC. Don't make the same mistake the Falcons did with keeping Quinn and letting Shanahan leave for the 49ers.

mezzavo likes this.
  8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think they'd make a run at Sirianni if he got canned at the end of the season. I would be interested in seeing that, although he already had coordinators forced on him so I don't think he'd want to work for Woody.

9. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Is it really a "nose for QBs" when you're drafting 1/2 overall ... unless your name is Joe Douglass?

mezzavo likes this.
  10. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I'm pretty intrigued by Bobby Slowik. I'm not afraid of the next hot coordinator honestly, but they need to look more closely at leadership qualities too. Saleh had some that made me and others think he was a good leader, but he lacked in the accountability department and was almost too loyal and afraid to make hard but necessary changes

11. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I posted the minimum qualifications I'd want in a new HC here, so I won't repeat it all. The shortened list:

(1) HC experience. Past success goes without saying.
    (2) Ability to find and groom the next QB.
    (3) Someone who will add stability and structure to the organization.
    (4) Preferably young.
    (5) Preferably has an understanding of NY fans and the NY market. It's not for everyone.

Notes to management:
    (6) I'm willing to give up high draft pick compensation for the right candidate.
    (7) They better fucking well open up the checkbook and not let the obstacle be salary.

With all that, my dream candidate would be catching Kevin O'Connell before he signs an extension with the Vikings. And, yeah, I'd give up draft pick compensation for tampering with him right now. Doesn't matter if you're giving up draft picks by order of the League Office for tampering, or if you flat out offer them to Minn in trade, if he's the guy I want, I'll give up first round picks to get him. It's not as if first round picks have helped the Jets find a QB so far. Plus, the 2025 QB draft crop doesn't thrill me.

Kingsbury ticks off a couple of those points, but for all the news print over the years, his HC experience has been pretty mediocre. One decent NFL season. But nobody doubts his offensive chops and ability to work with QBs.

Coincidence how O'Connell and Kingsbury both share one unique resume point - both drafted by New England, landed with the Jets, and then kicked around a few years before they shot out the ass of the NFL and revived themselves as QB Whisperers. I wonder if Scott Zolak is around.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. Sundayjack

I'm a HUGE Todd Monken fan. He's short on HC experience, and misses on a couple of what I'd be looking for, but anyone who can turn Stetson Bennett IV into a Heisman finalist and run offense the way he does - I wouldn't dismiss. He might be at the top of my second-tier pool.

13. Sundayjack

I might be alone here, but I'd take Bill O'Brien over Kliff Kingsbury any day. For me, his most impressive job was bringing stability to a Penn State program that was in absolute shambles. Also easy to overlook that he took over and revived Houston after a 2-14 season (I had to look that up) with a bunch of short-order cooks at QB. Plus, as you mention, he has almost immediately changed the Boston College program from an afterthought.

The more I think about this one, the more I like it.

14. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

If you're going to get an bat, then swing for the fences. Go after Carroll and at least you can say you tried. He'll instantly turn this thing around and get rid of the nonsense if given the opportunity by Woody. That's a big IF obviously. Woody probably doesn't want a big name coach like that for all we know.

15. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

If Ulbrich does a good job, I want him as head coach.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I like Sirianni but damn does he seem like a typical NY Jets coach and that's not a compliment

sackexchange and abyzmul like this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Kingsbury might not be the right answer

Cardinals penalties under Kingsbury:

2019- 5th in the league
    2020- most in the league
    2021- 4th in the league
    2022- most in the league

discipline has been an issue here already

mezzavo and barfolomew like this.
  18. CaptainCap

CaptainCap Well-Known Member

Offensive coordinator Ben Johnson of the Detroit Lions is worth consideration.

barfolomew and JetsNation06 like this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Well the way I look at Kingsbury is his teams got better every year until his last year. And he took over a 3-13 team and got them to the playoffs in his third year. Granted they were 3-8 when Kyler got hurt that last Kingsbury season and then he got fired immediately.

I like Bill O’Brien. He gets trashed a lot for trading Hopkins but he did that because he had no cap space and they had to sign Watson. And then Watson spits in the franchises face and obviously it inevitably fell apart.

I’m not sure if he had anything to do with the ousting but I never got the feeling that he wanted full roster/GM control, he was just handed it when they fired the GM. There was a turnover in ownership to his wife and kids when Bob McNair died in 2018 and I thought it was messy at first?

20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

He's probably the #1 HC candidate in the league right now. He'll have his pick of teams and is almost certainly not going to pick us.