Jets fire Robert Saleh

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mogriffjr, Oct 8, 2024.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Oh, I thought you had something specific in mind. The last thing I'm doing is cruising the internet trying to find everything Woody Johnson has ever said in public and then guess at what you're referring to.

2. Ralebird

If the loss occurred while Saleh was the head coach it is his. Doesn't matter if he was at the game, at a funeral or home with cramps.

He can keep that W and put it in that giant bale of receipts he's been humping around for years.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I saw something mildly interesting

salehs 1st game as Jets HC was a loss to Sam Darnold

salehs last game as Jets HC was a loss to Sam Darnold

Ralebird, Brook!, Jets81 and 5 others like this.
  4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Sam made him see ghosts....

abyzmul likes this.
  5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Sam made him a ghost. He's like Bruce Willis. "You're already dead, Coach Saleh"

stinkyB and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  6. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Anything. Is the point. I don't care what It Is, If he Is speaking, It's incredibly fucking dumb.

(football related)

You are the most anal person on this message board. Not everything has to be literal. I think the point was made a long time ago.

7. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

What has changed within this organization that would entice him to coach this time around? If I remember correctly , he got rid of an aging qb, why would he want this one?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. Ralebird

I guess I'm just from a different place in time where people would have been embarrassed to write things with no basis in fact. You should go into politics.

If you tell people to "just go listen to Woody talk about his solutions to solving the problems of this team" it makes sense to point to where he did that. Many of us have learned over the years not to pay any attention to him at all - it changes nothing.

9. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

What a cluster eh?

I found out about it the day it happened while watching news12. For a few seconds I was shellshocked but only for a few.

It's the Jets. Expect the unexpected good or bad.

I haven't bothered to read or listen about it or why they did it.

I hope it works out for them.

10. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

How many of those teams were as talented as this Jets team?

How many of those teams had a qb the caliber of Aaron Rodgers starting for them?

11. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Again.. That's the point. It was facetious In nature. Relax, Fella. In no way would I be embarrassed for placing input or an opinion on a NYJ forum.

12. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

I think you mean as overrated

AR was a the 26th ranked passer in his last year at GB.

GW and Breece are pretty flawed

JetsNation06 likes this.
  13. Ralebird

As I said, maybe it's just a factor of being from a different time but it makes me curious - are you so cavalier about reality in your face to face communications as you are when insulated by the anonymity of the world wide web or do you so freely interchange figments of your imagination with facts there as well?

14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

You are right… he split with Tom B but that didn’t happen immediately. And maybe Belli regrets that

If he somehow came here ..a HOF Coach would be an 100 K improvement from the Division 2 level of coaching we had had with Saleh and Hackett

Woody should also let him be a GM coach like Kraft did. What can we lose?

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

There's a report in The Athletic that says Saleh wanted to replace Hackett months ago, perhaps in the off season, but was "foiled" in that attempt:

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/58...ustin-fields-russell-wilson-steelers-starter/

"It’s also hard to ignore that Saleh, according to league sources, tried to recruit multiple different offensive coaches during the offseason in an attempt to get things right on that side of the ball. The Jets spoke to Eric Bieniemy (now UCLA’s offensive coordinator), Kliff Kingsbury (now the Commanders’ offensive coordinator), Luke Getsy (now the Raiders’ offensive coordinator) and Arthur Smith (now the Steelers’ offensive coordinator). Both Smith and Kingsbury are recent head coaches in the NFL, and Getsy has a strong relationship with Aaron Rodgers from their days together in Green Bay, where he was the quarterbacks coach. Saleh wanted to add a great mind to the offensive staff, and if he had succeeded, he might still have a job, but it proved too difficult to make an addition since he didn’t have an “offensive coordinator” title to offer.

He tried. The Jets knew the offensive play calling wouldn’t simply improve because Rodgers and Nathaniel Hackett are buddies. Rodgers was involved in the process to add a new coach, so he at least knew something needed to change, but he wasn’t going to boot Hackett. So Saleh ran it back with mostly the same offensive coaching staff, other than new running backs and wide receivers coaches."

So maybe Rodgers didn't tell Woody to fire Saleh Monday night, but it sounds as though his non-negotiable demand that Hackett remain as OC handcuffed Saleh. This is not to say that Saleh is a good HC, or that he didn't deserve to be fired - should've happened at the end of last season with the rest of the CS - but to give evidence of Rodgers' influence with Woody and the team. And frankly I couldn't care less if Rodgers holds Woody's hand and tells him what to do...if they were were winning and were an improved team. God knows Johnson needs somebody with actual football knowledge to guide him. But this whole thing smacks of Woody acting in kneejerk fashion, and not even consulting his GM who hired Saleh. If he doesn't trust Douglas's opinion why didn't he fire him too? And what message does that send Douglas, and by extension, anyone who might think about coming to the Jets to work? It's just more of the SOJs shitshow.

Who knows? Maybe Rodgers and the offense will suddenly blossom and the Jets turn things around. But I think it's more likely that the dysfunction continues because there is one constant thread that runs through all of it: Woody Johnson.

Acad23 likes this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I do not see anywhere there that Saleh wanted to dump Hack but was foiled. I see that he wanted to add another good assistant and couldn't. Saleh just hired Hack a year ago. This was BEFORE Rodgers joined. Then after a year of failure to avoid mass lay-off he and offense CS deserved they blamed everything on Rodgers injury. A big reason why no good assistants wanted to come here is because this regime is on it's prove it year. Meaning if it does not succeed, whoever comes here has to look for another job and move his family again a year from now. The right thing to do was to get rid of Saleh, Hack, and Carter in the offseason and start fresh with current players, including Rodgers, but new HC and offensive CS. If Rodgers didn't like, that's tough shit, he is not the owner. And he would have played anyway with whoever Woody hired because Rodgers had to prove himself too after the injury.

But back to the point: all of the above absolutely does not mean Saleh wanted to dump Hack, just to get another brain into the room, like he originally had with late coach Knapp. Plus he hired Hack just a year back. So, 0 credit there to Saleh for that. In fact, while the recent report suggests while Saleh wanted to make Downing the play caller for just Monday, Brick went well beyond that by making him play caller going forward and also game planner, i.e. a fully fledged OC for this entire rest of the season, not one game. They even offered Hack to step down and pay for the year, but Hack wanted to stay in an assistant role. Which is fine by me, because that's the role he had with GB and he was fine there. But please, let's not give Saleh credit where credit is not due. He was a good DC, but a loser HC, the right decisions were made, and hopefully the Jets can turn things a little bit now towards positive.

17. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I just deleted some messages regarding Saleh and politics. Asking kindly again. Please no politics.

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I wasn't trying to give Saleh credit, more highlighting the dysfunction of this organization. And the idea of "dumping Hack" didn't necessarily mean firing him, but stripping his OC title from him which apparently Rodgers opposed. Did Rodgers oppose it? IDK. Why didn't these changes happen? Maybe Saleh never really tried, or he tried and Rodgers "cockblocked" him, but if Saleh never really tried he's even a worse HC than he appeared to be. And if Saleh did try to hire someone to replace Hackett, who stopped it - Rodgers?, Woody? And again, why did Woody not consult with Douglass about firing Saleh except 15 minutes before he announced it? Regardless of the details, it all adds up to continued dysfunction.

As for retaining Hackett now, I think it's a mistake, regardless of all the praise heaped upon him for being a "team guy", and being willing to do anything to help. Admirable, but his simple presence there while they try to undo and fix the shitty offense has to be an impediment. No one wants to kick the guy when he's down, so they're going to wear kid gloves around him rather than just getting on with the business of fixing what he broke without fear of hurting his feelings.

IDK, maybe it will work. I hope so, but in typical Woody fashion, he's made things harder than they had to be.

NY Jets68 and JetsNation06 like this.
  19. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I can't post in the thread where someone said Matt Eberflus is worse than Saleh as a HC--I'm watching the Bears today and they are well coached. Its hard to say Saleh was better than anyone as a HC.

I guess we'll know next season about how the rest of the NFL FO's view him as a potential HC.

Borat likes this.
  20. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

At the end of the day, after seeing/reading all these different Saleh said this or that, the one fact remains.

Bob Saleh was the HEAD COACH and only HE had the ability to completely remove the offensive apparatus and replace it with something more effective. If any of the other people get in the way, GM/Owner, he could have gone on the record as to he wanted to make a change, was told no, thus he could lobby for his job to be safe.

I don't know about you folks but, hell, if I'm FORCED to keep underperforming employees and then held to account for their performance you can damn sure be guaranteed that I would have it on the record that I wanted the change and was told no. Fuck the P.C. bullshit. Fuck Aaron Rodgers opinion... If Douglas/Wood-RUFF don't like it and then Saleh gets fired, at least his professional dignity is in tact and he'll get another H.C. gig somewhere. As it is, all I see is a guy trying to place blame everywhere but himself. Even with the offensive bullshit going on, what about penalties? Don't need a change in o-coordinator to clean up the fucking penalties. The Jets rank FOURTH in most penalties since 2018. So this isn't just a Saleh phenomenon but he sure didn't do shit to clean it up.

A LOT of excuses being thrown around, however, there were solutions everywhere and he didn't do shit. Damn, firing the fucking o-line coach would have been SOMETHING and, to me, that alone would have been a no brainer. I mean, seriously, it's an o-line coach. At that level, people get canned every day! Crazy insane...

Ralebird, NY Jets68 and Borat like this.