Jets fire Robert Saleh

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mogriffjr, Oct 8, 2024.

1. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

Saleh should have been fired 2 years ago.

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

for not benching Zach?

3. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Jets79 likes this.
  4. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

BN,

Yesterday, I kindly asked this Lebanese flag thing not to be discussed. I am assuming you didn't see it. So my kind ask to you and everybody else is to leave the Lebanese/Muslim discussion out of this topic.

UK_Chilts likes this.
  5. Brook!

Okay. Finally a busy day behind me. OMG... So many friends texted or called.

I will say this. Fuck Saleh. Good riddance.

My take. Woody was taking a lot of heat on Twitter when he was announcing what jersey we were going to wear. Twitter crowd was going after him. He is getting old. He wants success. This might be Rodgers' last season. So he pulled the trigger.

This is what I don't like. He is still a meddling owner. Wish he did this thru Joe D.

Also, wish he also addressed the Hackett and Keith Carter disasters. Those two have as much blame as Saleh.

6. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Yeah there's 0 chance they didn't discuss firing Saleh. There was obviously a rift brewing between Rodgers and Saleh.

Kudos to Woody for at least being smart enough to not throw AR under the bus though.

Borat and Jets79 like this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

This is absolute speculative BS. The only definite is that we don’t know any of the facts

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I didn’t see that and I’ll drop it for you but damn Brook we ought to be able to discuss the decision making here

Vida likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don’t think it’s bullshit. I’m sure Woody and Rodgers spoke about it.

I’m not really believing Woody didn’t discuss it with Douglas though. That rumor sounds like it’s Douglas saving face for the rest of the league when he’s out of a job at the end of the year or the following year.

10. Brook!

Thanks BN. I know. It sucks. But these things have an easy way to get out of hand especially when Presidential elections are upon us and where Woody is a politically active NFL owner. Better not take risks. We have plenty to discuss about Saleh anyway.

11. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

For my two cents, I think it was the head scratching "keep doin' what we're doin'" comment he made to the whole football world at halftime. That had to be an embarrassment to Woody.

Vida and KWJetsFan like this.
  12. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I was watching FS1 today and I thought Nick Wright, who I'm not a big fan of, had an excellent point. He said if Saleh is "fireable" just five games into the season, then he never should have been the head coach to start the season to begin with.

13. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

Or it means “don’t worry about Jeff, we are confident in him, he has the respect of the players and coaches, they’re not worried about him either” but you do you man lmao

14. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

As I mentioned above, I would just point out that the NFL Heritage Program has been running for a few years now. Here is an article from last year describing how coaches and players are encouraged by the NFL to celebrate their ancestral origins with flag patches and decals. Saleh's parents are Lebanese. That's all there is to it. I remember Kyler Murray with a South Korea decal and I was like what? and then learned that his mother is half Korean, pretty cool.

15. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Nothing's changed because the OC doesn't have a clue. Everyone in the free world knows that Saleh has nothing to with the offensive game plan and play calling. Nothing in that regard has changed this entire offseason. So why would you suddenly think that would change going into this season? Saleh was never known for having anything to do with the offense and that's been known here for years.

That blame lays higher up than Saleh. That's with Joe Douglas and Woody Johnson. If you're going to cast blame on Saleh then you better be prepared to cast blame on the whole lot of them because they all suck. This is not about Saleh, this is institutional dysfunction within the NY Jets and based on this season's results Hackett should've been shown the door today, if not earlier, as well.

HomeoftheJets and Jets79 like this.
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

They might have spoken about it, may be, but not to request approval. I think Woody was livid and had enough of the rah, rah, all is good from Saleh with no changes what so ever game after game. I would be shocked if he actually talked to AR in any depth and not to JD.

17. UK_Chilts

UK_Chilts Well-Known Member

I find the speculation over how this came about very interesting rather than BS as someone has said earlier. I think it tells a lot about the set-up and relationships at the top level.

So my take,

I doubt the thought of 'meddling' would enter Woody's head. Having in his own mind secured a major coup in getting Rodgers here, and then losing him in the first game last season, now has renewed expectations through the roof. Rodgers is back and seemingly fit. Two disappointing losses on the bounce, after looking like the team was on the right track, have undermined Woody's confidence in finally looking good, so what does he do?

He either goes to his GM, who selected Saleh. Or he goes to his HOF QB, who wanted Hackett. Or he does nothing and hope it turns around. The latter would be the betting money favourite, based on previous form, but tellingly, he now has a 4xMVP & NFL royalty on his staff.

It emerges the victim, fall guy, scapegoat (call it what you will) is Saleh. This means Woody must have gone to Rodgers for advice first, over Douglas. If he ever went to JD at all.

Douglas (who I would have kept) will have worked it out and will now consider himself a lame duck. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he is planning his exit.

Rodgers has the owner's ear. He is now effectively in charge.

#258 UK_Chilts, Oct 8, 2024
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2024
    AtlantaJet and Brook! like this.
  18. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Thanks for explaining I was wondering what the patch with the arrow on his arm was about. I was thinking of a joke during the game about thats for if he falls he knows which way is up.

sozopol likes this.
  19. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Thank you!!! My God the conspiracies are ridiculous.

sozopol and AtlantaJet like this.