Jets fire Robert Saleh

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mogriffjr, Oct 8, 2024.

1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Regarding Saleh's share of blame for the offense:

He hired Keith Carter and was his biggest fan despite Carter being despised by former players and current ones alike. Our OL has been a mess despite massive investments in personnel. Much of the OL issues fall on JD, but the OL coaching has been abominable directly because of Saleh's love of Carter.

Saleh also just has the wrong philosophy about offense in general. He always wanted to keep games close and hopefully pull them out at the end. He was entirely too conservative. I'm glad for the organization to at least be partially rid of that philosophy.

This is also without mentioning the lack of accountability and dumb penalties which have absolutely played a role in hampering our offense during Saleh's tenure.

2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Guess they’ll need to bring the flight crew back now that there’s a cheerleader vacancy.

NY Jets68, Brook!, Acad23 and 7 others like this.
  3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Agree!

Good coaches don’t take forever. Parcells won his first Super Bowl in his 4th year I think and he didn’t inherit a ready made team

To be fair, Saleh was given Zach, who is now 3rd string for a good offensive HC behind a rookie who isn’t lighting it up by any means and a journeyman QB…if even Sean Payton thinks Zach is that bad, hard to imagine a new defensive minded HC could win with Zach by any stretch.

But still, the lack of discipline…once players themselves start calling out for accountability, you know the locker room is lost, and there’s no coming back from that for an HC. Players will just tune him out and phone it in.

Let’s see what imnpact Ulbrecht will have.

westiedog1 likes this.
  4. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Did they get rid of the flight crew? I haven't been to a game in 3 years after having season tickets for 23 years. My last few years going they were the only thing to look forward to on the field.

5. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

2023: 2-3 93 points scored
    2024 (much better roster): 2-3 93 points scored

That's what did it.

Vida, ColoradoContrails and Acad23 like this.
  6. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I have, and for 5 weeks nothing changed. It’s on the HC to have players focused and doing their jobs. It’s on the HC to push his coordinators to do their job. Instead our HC says everything is fine, keep doing what we’re doing, it’s the “nothing” part of the season. It’s clear that attitude trickled down to the players because they’re blatantly saying it has.

7. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

Woody should fire himself, useless cunt.

8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Did he have a choice? he was stuck with Zach Wilson at QB....
    and an OC he didn't choose...
    I'm not saying he was a good HC (he wasnt) but those are facts....but he was loyal to a fault

SackRecord99 likes this.
  9. Losmeister

he'll be coaching a top 5 D in the NFL pretty soon

10. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Sad day when management gives in to fan and media pressure.

11. Losmeister

Woody is the one who pushed for Rodgers

Rodgers wants Hackett

thats why the O is the way it is, not b/c of Saleh.
    yesterdays Barnwell
    "
    Teams that use pre-snap motion most often are generally regarded as the league's most cutting-edge offenses: The Dolphins, Rams, 49ers, Packers, Lions, Chiefs and Bills all use motion more than 70% of the time. The Chiefs essentially won Super Bowl LVII against the Eagles by exploiting Philadelphia's struggles dealing with jet motion in the red zone, with two jet-return motion concepts leading to a pair of critical touchdowns.

The Jets have used motion 43% of the time this season, which ranks 28th in the NFL. Rodgers publicly discussed his hesitations about leaning more heavily into the motion trend in 2022, and when the Packers struggled then in a loss to the Jets, he suggested Green Bay was better on the drives when it didn't use any motion before the snap. It's no surprise the Packers have upped their motion usage dramatically after he left and was replaced by Jordan Love.

The story has always been that Rodgers wants to get clean looks at the defense before the snap and use his cadence and experience to diagnose what it's trying to do. And on one hand, he is right. Rodgers is better without motion. He ranks 16th in the league in QBR when his offense is still before the snap and 26th when it uses motion. He's not going to improve if the Jets were to lean into this trend. Hackett doesn't seem like a coordinator who wants to incorporate it into his offense, either; the Broncos ranked 28th in motion rate during Hackett's lone season with Denver in 2022

Another more familiar concept is play-action. We've seen offenses from the Mike Shanahan tree Rodgers worked under with LaFleur in Green Bay thrive by massively increasing their play-action rates, making stars out of Kirk Cousins and Jared Goff in the process.

Every offense uses play-action, but some use it more consistently and effectively than others. Rodgers doesn't typically use it often, owing in part to the fact he needs to turn his back to the defense when executing play-action from under center. Again, he wants to use his brain and his eyes to manipulate and break down coverages.

n a league where quarterbacks as a whole post a QBR 15 points better with play-action than they do without, Rodgers' QBR is 13 points worse when he uses play-action this season. The only quarterbacks who decline more significantly when they use play-action are Caleb Williams and Geno Smith. NFL quarterbacks average 8.7 yards per pass attempt when they use play-action from under center; he is averaging 3.9 yards per pass on those throws.

While Rodgers targeted Wilson a staggering 22 times on 56 routes Sunday, Wilson was able to produce only 101 yards for a solid (but unspectacular) 1.8 yards per route run. Garrett Wilson was more productive with Zach Wilson at the helm over the prior two seasons on a route-by-route basis."

laughing my fucking ass off

Jets81 and AtlantaJet like this.
  12. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Woody Johnson Is clueless.
    I don’t mind Saleh being fired but the timing Is especially stupid.

Zero shot Davante Adam’s would want to play here now. Why would he, this Is the biggest red flag for dysfunction.

They fire the one guy who brought a championship defense to the team. Then promote another defensive mind as interim HC. Just to still keep Kevin Carter and Hack? Considering the offense Is the problem.
    The do this so early in the season will likely only make things even worse.

it’s unreal to be a NYJ fan. Fuck.

13. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I give credit to Saleh for initially hiring LaFleur.

Beyond that though, he insisted on hiring and retaining a terrible OL coach and has not held Hackett or the players accountable. He is the HC, not DC. He is ultimately responsible for both the offense and defense.

Should Hackett have been fired too? Absolutely. But Saleh definitely shares considerable blame for the offense.

stinkyB likes this.
  14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Yes, Joe Douglas fired him because the fans, not because JD will be out of a job at the end of the season if they don’t make the playoffs and would be a fool to continue to put his livelihood in the hands of Saleh whose teams continue to fall short of expectations.

Savatage and REVISion like this.
  15. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

16. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

My first thought is that the trade had already fallen through (maybe it would have saved Saleh's job for another week at least). Others have mentioned maybe it makes it more likely because it proves Rodgers is in charge.
    Stay tuned...

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  17. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I know that Ulbrecht is not an offensive coach, but as a defensive coach, he has to understand offense. Can't he take charge and give the offensive coordinator direction?

18. Losmeister

rick eisen " this is acdcomplishes nothing... except taking away the defensive signal caller by making him h/c"

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It definitely had something to do with the Lebanese flag.

That game was in London where Woody has close personal and business ties obviously, I think he was embarrassed, surprised and pissed about that

not shedding a tear for Saleh cause he kinda sucked but it is a litttle fucked up that it took something like that for Woody to make a move

Vida and Losmeister like this.
  20. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Woody went out of his way to hire minority coaches. Woody was also the first owner to hire a Muslim Head Coach. We can also surmise that while Saleh is a bad HC, and I support firing him, he’s a great and thoughtful human being. I guarantee you Saleh asked Woody before he ever put that flag on his shirt, and I guarantee Woody doesn’t give a fuck about it.

LAJet, Fiftynine and IIMeanDeanII like this.